German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leander police officer shoots dog at wrong house | www.statesman.com

A police officer shoots a GSD in the neck after he went into the backyard of a home attempting to serve a warrant and was at the wrong location! The GSD was shot in the neck after the officer entered the backyard of the home and two GSD's ran towards him and he feared for his safety and fired 3 shots. The GSD is expected to live.

WOW! Police should really check and then double check their information this whole situation could have been avoided!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Aside from failing to check the address, did he do any recon at all before heading around back? A non-lethal solution could have been found had the officer only checked for the existence of a dog. Clearly, the badge and gun made him feel sufficiently invincible that he did not feel he needed to check, even to ensure his own safety. Regardless, a man who exercises such limited common sense and foresight has no business carrying a gun at all. A gun is a last resort, not something you should be counting on in lieu of due diligence to get you out of whatever difficult situation you may find yourself in. That sort of recklessly negligent person is not fit to be a hunter, much less a police officer.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
A therapy dog, too! This is a shameful story.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Sent from Petguide.com Free App

We used to post dog warning signs. Wonder is it would have helped in this situation.

My dog stays inside but he is also not left in back by himself right now. I was thinking of this the other day.

At the same time, it may be risky to let it be known about having a dog too.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have signs specific "German Shepherd on guard duty". In the event someone does something stupid, I know I'm going to at least get a new dog out of the deal.

I have friends that are police, and understand the BS that they too have to deal with. They are people too.

We were not there, neither was the media. You can't blame the police officer fully without knowing the full story, its just a sad thing that transpired.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
This is a incredibly sad story but I need to know more before I want to hang this cop.

Did dispatch give him the wrong address initially? Was he responding to a domestic despute which btw are some of the most dangerous calls a officer responds to. So many questions....

I feel so bad for the owners & of course the dog.

·
Registered
423 Posts

We used to post dog warning signs. Wonder is it would have helped in this situation.

My dog stays inside but he is also not left in back by himself right now. I was thinking of this the other day.

At the same time, it may be risky to let it be known about having a dog too.
So SICK of this! When are they going to be held accountable for their actions?

The idiots are never held accountable. They will come up with (Lie) a way out of it....

The only thing a warning sign really does though is let the cop have his hand on the gun sooner....

I live in South Hersey (EHT). A couple years ago someone in Estell Manor had put up one of those roadside memorials. Some people didn't like it on the street so someone was putting nails on the road. Well any way a State Trooper decides hes gonna investigate the family that put up the memorial (there was no warrant or anything like that). So he goes up to a property (with a beware of dog sign and a no trespassing signs which were pulled down. Owner said by the Trooper after the fact). Trooper sees a locked fence and hops over it (instead of calling the owners because they had the phone number). This is a multi acre property. Family's GSD dog (named Trooper) was doing like dogs do run on the property. State Trooper sees him running toward him (family said he was friendly). Trooper shoots him 4 times once in the head (see what happens in NJ if you try and shoot a trespasser/robber on your property 4 times). Somehow the dog lived. Owner runs out hearing gun shots on his property. Forget if he said he owned a gun or not but lucky he didn't have it with him or he would have been shot. Trooper doesn't even offer an apology. Family said he harassed them instead. The family got him to a local vet who stabilized him. Then they got him to the University of Pennsylvania. The bill if I remember correctly was 13 thousand. The family also thought the State Trooper was really on the property trying to "discover something" like pot......Any way if you have a badge its a free pass to do as you like.....

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
So SICK of this! When are they going to be held accountable for their actions?
ditto, the cop will get off, cause he "feared for his life" seems odd to me, but i have never heard of a cop getting killed by a dog

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Pictures from the Facebook link I posted:

Poor dog! I personally believe since the officer entered a gated yard his first response should never have been to shoot the dogs. He fired three shots. One struck the dog. Two are unaccounted for. There was playground equipment in the yard that would lead someone to believe there might be children present. The officer seems to have shown really poor judgement in this case. I say "seems" because we have not heard his side of the story yet.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
What do you mean? This is truly an unfortunate story but dogs running toward him can certainly be scary enough for him to be afraid for his life.
he had no business being there in the first place, WRONG house

·
Registered
423 Posts
From the Justice for Vinny Facebook page. Now I am livid......

Tonight there was a travesty of justice right outside the small town of Liberty Hill.
My family and I were settling in for a peaceful evening. Our 6 year old terminally ill grandchild was sitting at the picnic table by our back door. I had just stepped out of the shower and went to my office to relax for a few minutes. Three shots rang out and I ran to the front door only to see a man dressed in black with a gun. My husband Chris ran up and started yelling that he had shot our dogs. I yelled at him who the **** are you and the man did not answer.

I then ran through the house and saw both Vinny and Roxy our Shepard's standing in the kitchen looking frightened and dazed.

I immediately thought that he had shot my service dog Sadie Mae or our neighbors dog Daisy as the GSD's looked OK at first glance.

I panicked thinking that I was going to find my service dog dead. I tore back out of the house yelling at my husband where was Sadie and Daisy. That's when my husband told me that the guy shot the Shepard's.

The officer said that they charged him. They always run to the gate to greet anyone and they are both overly social.

The officer was in all black and I did not immediately realize that he was with the police. I asked what the F**K he was doing coming into my yard and he said he was there to serve a warrant. We have been here nearly nine years and no one by that name had ever resided here. He was at the wrong house.

I called 911 to get police protection from our county but alas that was not going to happen. The Williamson County deputies came out and we were expecting an investigation...

What we did not realize was that an investigation was not going to happen.

My neighbor started yelling that he thought he had hit one of the dogs. He had been in his yard hanging laundry when the incident happened. So I ran back in to check again and my grandson came up to me screaming that Vinny was bleeding and his hands were covered in blood.

Vinny had a bullet wound in the back of his neck. When my husband Chris and I started to run Vinny to the emergency vet in Round Rock they told us one of us would have to stay behind to talk to an investigator.

My neighbor rode with me and held Vinny in the back seat on the ride. Vinny is recovering but his future is not certain. he has a long road back to health and may suffer the effects of this for the rest of his life.

My husband called Williamson County and said he wanted a copy of the police report as no one had even come in and checked the cartridges or crime scene. He was told that no report was made that they only came out as the officer had requested backup as my husband and neighbor was yelling at him.

That is a blatant lie as I was the one to call them and request help with a gun crazed officer. He called no one for backup, I made that call.

So everyone decided to just go on their merry way and do nothing at all.

My daughter came home and was appalled when she found out what had happened to Vinny. But she was more so when she found out that her son was outside at the time of the shooting and that was the direction in which the shots had been fired. I would definitely call that careless behavior child endangerment.
My husband even asked the officer didn't you see the swing set and the clubhouse sitting in the middle of the yard. It was not like he could not tell that there could be children in the yard.

She contacted the FBI and asked for help. Although they can not get directly involved they knew who could. So after her call officers from Williamson County, Liberty Hill & Leander appeared and told my husband that it was going to be treated as a crime scene.

About time!

We will have to wait and see what happen tomorrow but we are not going to give up on Justice for our Vinny.
Or for our grandson who is having nightmares over the entire event.

We feel blessed that Vinny is doing as well as he is and even more blessed that our grandson Landon did not get struck down by a misfired bullet.

Keep in mind that three shots were fired and only one hit our dog. We have yet to find out where the other two are.

https://www.facebook.com/JusticeForVinny?ref=ts&fref=ts#

·
Registered
32,416 Posts
There was a similar story last year. Only the German Shepherd died. Perhaps the police need to double and triple check their info before serving warrants.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
There was a similar story last year. Only the German Shepherd died. Perhaps the police need to double and triple check their info before serving warrants.
You mean when they went to the Pastors house and shot their dog that was chained up?

·
Registered
32,416 Posts
I don't remember the specifics. I know they were eating dinner and heard gun shots.

1 - 20 of 168 Posts