German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
There are 2 large cities here in Alabama that keep their dogs kenneled. A third the city of Dothan with 10 teams is building a facility as I write this as well. The city claims it will save them money not having to pay the handlers compensation to care for them.
not sure what kind of savings they'd expect. Still need to be fed, vetted and now the additional cost of operating/maintaining a kennel.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
With our county Sheriffs dept, there are 5 patrol dogs and 4 bloodhounds. The patrol dogs go home, three of four bloodhounds are kenneled. So I guess everybody is right:smile2:

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Mine came home with me and was with me after his retirement until the day he died. He was very stealthy and quiet in the house unless something triggered his aggression. After his retirement I had him for an for a couple more years. He remained quiet but highly alert. While he was still with us I never had any worries about the wife or the house.

When I worked for the Federal government our dogs were in a contract kennel during their working years. After their retirement/end of service the handler could adopt them and they would live out their remaining years in a home.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
not sure what kind of savings they'd expect. Still need to be fed, vetted and now the additional cost of operating/maintaining a kennel.
One person tending 10 dogs is going to be more cost effective then compensating 10 people for caring for 1 dog each, plus boarding when handlers are off duty/vacations, etc.
And I am sure that there are insurance considerations.

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
also, some kennels that are on department policy have a lot of the basic kennel work done by 409s (jail trustees) so free labor.

·
Registered
118 Posts
This thread just reminded me back when I was in high school and our neighbor just got his k9. Beautiful GSD, but thats the only positive thing I can say. We were asked not to socialize with the dog, they had two sons I went to school with and we played football after school together, so we respected his request. But it became very annoying that 99% of the time when they were off duty the k9 was locked in his cage outside, rain or snow, outside...The cage was 8ft high, and 6ft x 6ft with no roof. The k9 would escape, jumping on the tiny house over the fence, and would rush down to our house to play with our dogs, we had a Jack Russell, and a Great Pyrenees and they would play and play, if they were aloud to... We wouldn't call the handler, unless my parents found out he was out, I wasnt calling because I wasn't aloud to socialize with him and you could tell the poor thing just wanted to have a little fun.

The Officer was "Retired" and I believe the k9 actually got a good handler after that.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts