German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quite some time ago, I had a conversation with a DDR breeder I was considering. They are not a kennel that works their dogs (they purchase breeding stock already titled or send them out to be titled). I asked this breeder if any of her pups go to work in the police force and they said,

"oh NO. None of them! Those people want a dog who will bite ANYTHING and I won't breed for that!"

Thoughts on this statement?

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
"Thoughts on this statement":

:rolleyes2::spittingcoffee::rofl:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree it is crazy. I had no response to it. But why on earth would a breeder even say this?

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
"Why would a breeder even say this?":

Because they're STUPID!

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
This is a big issue with many breeders who don't work their own dogs: they do NOT understand temperament and drives.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
and I assume their dogs won't bite anything.
Probably the type that wouldn't bite a helper if he had a steak tied to his arm.:)

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
This is like a "breeder" website I saw. They were saying that they maintain the working drives of the dogs they breed by evaluating their tug play.

No, they won't do Schutzhund or any bite-training because they have a young child, and teaching their dogs to bit is to much of a risk - but they can tell everyting they need to know about their dogs by playing tug with them.

In other words - they just admited that their dogs are are too unstable for bite work.

How very reassuring!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Bahahahahahahaah!!!!!! Omg!!!!!! Hahahahahaha!!!!!

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
True, but often dogs like that don't last long on the street.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
The people who have the strongest opinions about working dogs like police, are usually the ones that don't work dogs or somebody told them something.....gives a whole new meaning to opinions are_____ ______, !

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
*Cough*

Ummm....

·
Registered
604 Posts
The people who have the strongest opinions about working dogs like police, are usually the ones that don't work dogs or somebody told them something.....gives a whole new meaning to opinions are_____ ______, !
This. One training group I used to hang with gave the impression that they thought Schutzhund people spend all their time discussing which brand of rubber hose was best for beating your dog. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
This. One training group I used to hang with gave the impression that they thought Schutzhund people spend all their time discussing which brand of rubber hose was best for beating your dog. :rolleyes:
Well, how ELSE are ya gonna get that high level of Obedience? :p

Personally, I recommend the heavy duty rubber hoses - they stay flexible even in very cold weather. :smirk:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts