German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the number of frequent shootings by police against non-aggressive family dogs, it’s about time we see something being done within the police community. Online magazine Law Enforcement Today has recently published an article warning officers not to shoot loved family dogs.

James P. Gaffney, author of the article, is an LET risk management/police administration contributor to the publication, and served with a metro-New York police department for more than 25 years as a patrol officer, sergeant, lieutenant and executive officer. He brings to light the popular opinion that dogs are not just pets, but “valued family members,” and that the preferred term is now “canine companion.”

Police are supposed to use objective reasonableness, i.e. common sense, when they are on the job. Approaching an unknown dog, or entering a dog’s territory, can incite an attack. Then police officers shoot, and cry self-defense. Well, if they thought a situation through using common sense and compassion, their deadly actions might not have been necessary. A siren or a loudspeaker could be used to alert an owner to their presence and to suggest their dog be safely secured instead of just barging onto a property and killing a dog for defending its territory and family from an intruder.

Law Enforcement Today Article Advises Police not to Kill Family Dogs | Life With Dogs

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
GOOD! Bout time.

·
Registered
31,813 Posts
ummm....good...but I'd like to know why they have to be advised to not shoot family pets. A good friend of mine is a retired Philly LEO and he's appalled at the number of dogs being shot.

·
Registered
423 Posts
ummm....good...but I'd like to know why they have to be advised to not shoot family pets. A good friend of mine is a retired Philly LEO and he's appalled at the number of dogs being shot.

^^^This X 1000^^^

At least its a start....

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
At least something good is coming out of all of these family dog killings.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Absolutely!! Learning from mistakes, both your own and others, should be common sense.

There's only so many times a person can stick their hand in the fire and gets burned before other people start shaking their heads at the stupidity. :headbang:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts