German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Since I live in South Florida, to be specific ft.lauderdale, I exercise my boy during the night, cause it started to get pretty hot in here during the day. Anyway, 2 days ago there was something in my lawn and I thought it was a big piece of rock. When I tried to grab it, ohh my god it was a HUGE FREAKING FROG. It was disgusting, freaking hugee. I also have frog phobia:)))..seriously..I asked my neighbor and she said it was MARINE TOAD AND POISONOUS. You have to see these things there are two sacs just behind its head hanging down. These sacs are full with poison. They are pretty poisonous, especially for little dogs and cats, also for big dogs. I did my search. I was wondering is there anyone who had a experince with frog poisoning?. And for your information, These things don't die easily, neighbor said that she out that fraking thing in clorox:)), and it was still alive. You have to freeze this things, if you want to get rid off them in a humane way..So, I wonder your experiences..

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
My friends in Boca used to stab the Bufo's to death when they found them in their yard. I recall one time Artie licked a dead one his owner didn't see when she had him out on a walk and he began to foam at the mouth. She rushed him home and gently rinsed out his mouth with the garden hose. She called the vet just to be safe. Artie was okay.

I'm not sure if it was the same type of toad, but one was in Slider and Bruiser's water bowl and when Slider took a drink he started to vomit. I looked in the bowl, saw the toad and tossed it across the street.

Here's some links that might give you more information. The first article contains information for keeping them out of your yard:
http://www.pgaa.com/CANINE/health/bufotoad.html
http://www.healthyhomesforkidsandpets.com/articles/bufo.html
http://www.wec.ufl.edu/extension/wildlife_info/frogstoads/bufo_marinus.php

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes same type, it is freaking disgusting..don't mad at me, I love nature but there is no way I can like these marine toads. They don't belong U.S. They released them to this country, they belong south america. Ohhh I can't understand why someone would do this..

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've lived in S. Florida for the past 20 years (currently in Delray Beach) and this is a seasonal problem that occurs here in the spring and summer primarily. Whenever I see one of these toads I toss them over my fence to get them away from my dogs.

I have my dogs in a fenced backyard and for the past two mornings and evenings my Vizsla pup has been going after these toads (the GSD barks at them but doesn't attempt to bite them and my other dogs leave them alone). Some dogs have been killed by these things. My Mini Dachshund who I had for 14 years used to bite these things and he would foam at the mouth and I'd bring him in the house and wash his mouth out. Fortunately he didn't have a horrible reaction to the poison. Some dogs are more susceptible to horrible reactions to this than others.

This will be a continuing problem for so long as you live in S. Florida unfortunately.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts