German Shepherds Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering about these lines. Are there particular characteristics you'd expect to see in a pup from these lines?

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Why would you want a Border patrol dog?

ETA: I was thinking way to into the term "Border Patrol Dog"

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jessica,

I don't want a Border Patrol dog, exactly, but some of the breeders of working GSDs have these lines in their dogs' pedigrees, so I am wondering what one would expect from pups with this lineage. I see a lot of Pohranicni Straze in pedigrees I am looking at.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Why wouldn't you want a z PS dog???? Does somebody know something about them that would raise a question about them. I would sure like to learn about their negatives for future reference!

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Jessica,

I don't want a Border Control dog, exactly, but some of the breeders of working GSDs have these lines in their dogs' pedigrees, so I am wondering what one would expect from pups with this lineage. I see a lot of Pohranicni Straze in pedigrees I am looking at.
I looked at the site again and was thinking you wanted a Border patrol dog as a pet, and I was think ing way into the title.lol. Thanks for the clear up

·
The Italian One
8,729 Posts
Jessie - the Pohranicni Straze Kennel was a government run kennel in the Czech Republic before the wall came down that bred GSDs. They were used as border patrol dogs back in those days.

The Pohranicni Straze dogs are still pretty common in the Czech line GSDs and I'd expect them to have similar characteristics as is known to "Czech GSDs".

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jiri Novotny was responsible for the breeding program.
Ask him Jinopo.cz

I just got my puppy from him.
Hey thanks, great info! I googled him and his program and they state they breed for "very good body conformation, strong bone, good pigmentation and strong health. They are also significant for their high food drive, high working drives and early working maturity. .... trainability, solid nerves, and ability to protect their territory."

If anyone here has a dog from these lines, I'd like to know if this description holds true for your dog.

Very interesting, thank you.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Mine is a half Czech line. He's perfect in every way. What you posted is exactly what Titon is. Titon's grandfather was the Czech national champion in 2007. Erri z Blatenskeho zamku SchH3, IPO3, ZVV1 Nat'l champion Czech Republic 2007

-E

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I wonder if you find any kennel regardless of the lines that would state that they breed for "poor body conformation, weak bone, bad pigmentation and weak health"... Sorry, I just couldn't resist :)

I think Czech dogs are very cool, and I would love to watch a Czech puppy grow (hint :) ) .

·
Registered
818 Posts
I think the z PS dogs are absolutely gorgeous, Odin has some z PS dogs on his mother's side. I'd love a dog with more Czech lines, I love the build and the pigmentation. :wub:

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
Masi's "mom" is a Eurosport girl out of Galant P x Max (wanda's Max) Besides being a "looker" (I am of course biased), she has been so far, a great dog.

If your looking for a social butterfly, Masi is not. She's got alot of energy and ready to try anything you throw in front of her. She's really coming into her own as she matures but I would say she is not for the faint of heart:) Easy trainer, very 'into' her people. I don't want to say very protective, but she is very possessive of me? maybe the right way to explain her.

She is always on high alert out in public , is quiet, and a 'watcher'..

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
The z PS dogs were almost a subset of the Czech dogs. They were from one of three breeding stations that provided dog for military and sometimes police in Czechaslovakia. Up until about 15 years ago these dogs tended to be rather sharp in that they were used for military. The distinguishing aspects of the z PS dogs were the physical stature of heads, bone, and black sable that was acquired from the influx of about 5 to 7 DDR dogs into the border patrol breeding progran some thirty to forty years ago. When the curtain came down in 1990, and the influx of Eastern block dogs became available to the West, the z PS dogs were still very much geared to Law Enforcement. By 2003 (approx), when the z PS breeding station was closed these dogs were undergoing a transformation that made them very much like the ideals that the "founder" envisioned in a utility working down. They became very desired and successful as a police dog and also made for excellent family dogs in the tradition of the breed. At this period of time(2000), they were not preferred for sport as they still possessed more defense and less prey drive than was desired for high end sport work. But, oh how money and exhibitions will transform things. Because of the popularity of the type (block head,bone, color), people started breeding these lines to become more "sportier". This has been a double edge sword, for the sport world it has opened up genetic diversity thus helping the breed in the sport world as they inserted more prey drive and less defense into these dogs. For Law Enforcement, we don't find the Czech dogs as "guaranteed dogs to become law enforcement candidates as we did 15 years ago.
Many times today you hear oldtimers describe the current Czech dogs in terms of what they were before the curtain came down, and you also hear internet or conformation junkies that have only heard or maybe seen a few of these dogs today as misdescribing them based on what they read or heard. They are probably as close to the standard in terms of what the founder wanted the breed to be as you will find today.
ps I had the opportunity to purchase Naya z PS, from the last litter that could ever carry the z PS prefix in 2005 as the breeding station was being closed. Nonetheless, I own a female sired by Tom z PS, who was one of the great dogs of past twenty-five years.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Cliff, thanks so much for the overview!! I wonder whey the breeding station was closed? As far as I know, the borders in that area of the world still exist.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Masi's "mom" is a Eurosport girl out of Galant P x Max (wanda's Max) Besides being a "looker" (I am of course biased), she has been so far, a great dog.

If your looking for a social butterfly, Masi is not. She's got alot of energy and ready to try anything you throw in front of her. She's really coming into her own as she matures but I would say she is not for the faint of heart:) Easy trainer, very 'into' her people. I don't want to say very protective, but she is very possessive of me? maybe the right way to explain her.

She is always on high alert out in public , is quiet, and a 'watcher'..
Titon's sir is a Eurosport as well. Draegone.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
This dog is linebred 3-4 on Grim Porhranicni Straze (came to me by accident, a club member bought her and then changed her mind). Small female, 22 inches, 55 pounds. I have been told by my trainer (who imported and worked several of the DDR type dogs) that she very much resembles the old DDR dogs. Wedge shaped, squarish head. Very straight.
Temperament is hard to judge as I have no idea what happened to her before she came here. But I do see lots of defense, and she does have a good deal of natural suspicion. Not a dog for everyone, certainly.
She likes to make me happy and is very loving, but not clingy. Neat dog, and I will probably start her in protection next summer or fall.

Then there is my other girl, here. Very self assured to the point of being completely obnoxious right now. Full of drive, funny and really, really athletic. I do see a serious touch to her now, and it will be interesting to watch how she matures. She literally will beat the tar out of my adult dog and does not back down over food, toys, etc. More social tahn my older girl above, but a TON of puppy in a little package.
Physically, she is much prettier and typier than the first female I linked.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.