German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone listen to any good training podcasts or read and books? I’ve read a few already. Can’t seem to find a podcast?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,682 Posts
podcasts I like are Drinking from the Toilet, The Canine Paradigm, Working Dog Radio, K-9 Talking Scents, GRC Dogtalk and Controlled Agression (in no particular order). And then for all around good ideas that apply to humans and sometimes dogs The Art of Manliness. Yes, sometimes the things that make us tick can apply to our dogs, too.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'm looking into this, too. My favorites so far are Drinking From the Toilet and Cog Dog Radio.

One issue I'm having is that these podcasts are all Positive, to the point of being almost political. They believe anyone who administers corrections or uses prong collars is some kind of barbarian. Even saying, "No" apparently is off-bounds in this philosophy. This goes against my initial training and, while I prefer positive training in general, I think both sides need to be in place. Maybe not if you have a nice Border collie like these trainers always do?

If anyone has any podcasts that are technical and give tips, ideas, concepts that also include corrections, let me know!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm looking into this, too. My favorites so far are Drinking From the Toilet and Cog Dog Radio.

One issue I'm having is that these podcasts are all Positive, to the point of being almost political. They believe anyone who administers corrections or uses prong collars is some kind of barbarian. Even saying, "No" apparently is off-bounds in this philosophy. This goes against my initial training and, while I prefer positive training in general, I think both sides need to be in place. Maybe not if you have a nice Border collie like these trainers always do?

If anyone has any podcasts that are technical and give tips, ideas, concepts that also include corrections, let me know!
Try working dog radio and controlled aggression podcast. Both great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
504 Posts
Already listening to the above mentioned, Canine Paradigm is fun, fun, fun, really love the chit chattieness, you can learn something too, but I`m into fun, and I kinda like the shameless Dude humour (hint, I`m not a dude)

·
Registered
504 Posts

Are you learning anything new from them? I`m a sponge, but like you, get tired of a hectoring tone, and since I train mostly positive I have spent enormous time learning from or training with all positive trainers but have grown less tolerant of the judgemental stuff. That said, should I try them. I hate sticking myself in a bubble which I have done lately. Might be time to stretch out again.

·
Super Moderator
4,682 Posts
I like Drinking from the Toilet because all though Hannah is a positive trainer she is not preachy about it. She had a guest on that did hint that he used some compulsion. In his line of work he didn't have time to wait for the dogs to figure everything out on their own. She made a grump noise, but no shaming.

I am now also listening to K9 Talking Scents

·
Registered
504 Posts
I like Drinking from the Toilet because all though Hannah is a positive trainer she is not preachy about it. She had a guest on that did hint that he used some compulsion. In his line of work he didn't have time to wait for the dogs to figure everything out on their own. She made a grump noise, but no shaming.

I am now also listening to K9 Talking Scents
I feel weird saying I'll add Drinking from the Toilet to my list, but yep, that would be what I am looking for. Thanks for the suggestion.
I'm assuming K9 Talking Scents is about scent work?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Are you learning anything new from them? I`m a sponge, but like you, get tired of a hectoring tone, and since I train mostly positive I have spent enormous time learning from or training with all positive trainers but have grown less tolerant of the judgemental stuff. That said, should I try them. I hate sticking myself in a bubble which I have done lately. Might be time to stretch out again.
I'm still fairly new to the dog training podcasts, so I'm still learning. My training has been balanced--mostly treat-based, but they had Jupiter on a prong collar by around four months. Not sure, in retrospect, that was necessary.

Where I am as a handler is that Jupiter learns any behavior I try to teach almost instantly. He has that stereotypical GSD brain. But getting him to do it without visible treats is the issue. :)

One thing is I'm actually looking more for tips and methods rather than dog-nerd-chat-lifestyle, so not all of the episodes I've listened to have been all that useful. But some have! What I really need to do is bear down and get serious about improving Jupiter's recall and walk nicely. Without those being solid, the rest is kind of fluff in terms of my lifestyle.

·
Super Moderator
4,682 Posts
I'm still fairly new to the dog training podcasts, so I'm still learning. My training has been balanced--mostly treat-based, but they had Jupiter on a prong collar by around four months. Not sure, in retrospect, that was necessary.

Where I am as a handler is that Jupiter learns any behavior I try to teach almost instantly. He has that stereotypical GSD brain. But getting him to do it without visible treats is the issue. :)

One thing is I'm actually looking more for tips and methods rather than dog-nerd-chat-lifestyle, so not all of the episodes I've listened to have been all that useful. But some have! What I really need to do is bear down and get serious about improving Jupiter's recall and walk nicely. Without those being solid, the rest is kind of fluff in terms of my lifestyle.
you might want to look at The Collared Scholar. More training, less fluff. She has a bunch of free info on her blog. She occasionally runs free/ fun training challenges for a week at a time, but ultimately would like people to buy training packages. It is her livelyhood after all. She doesn't do podcasts to my knowledge.

·
Registered
504 Posts
you might want to look at The Collared Scholar. More training, less fluff. She has a bunch of free info on her blog. She occasionally runs free/ fun training challenges for a week at a time, but ultimately would like people to buy training packages. It is her livelyhood after all. She doesn't do podcasts to my knowledge.
She's a treasure already discovered. I'll never be sure how much I owe her for Sonic's toy & tug drive. He has zero interest in toys, I had to train him with food to do such things, but her free challenges helped me take him beyond the food. Highly recommended.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts