German Shepherds Forum banner
2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  wolfy dog 
#1 ·
I am a first time GSD owner but have a female Doberman. My family and I are looking to find a GSD that would match our energy as well as needs; we would love to have a male, calm with medium energy. I go camping a lot, surfing and do a lot of activities outside, so enough to go everywhere with me but be calm as well, also needs a good off switch in the house.

My goal is to be able to train him to do Obedience work and eventually possibly some IPO. I want a dog who's natural guarding instincts kick in without much training, but that I can hone later on.

I am not sure which one would be the best for a first time owner but I like the idea of the dog have enough weight behind his glance. I live in a high crime neighborhood and would appreciate a dog that can also be a man-stopper.

We are in no rush but looking for a male that is calm most of all, good solid nerves and strong protection/food/prey drive. Short or medium coat. And the color preferably all black or black sable I am starting to email breeders because I am looking to get him in the next year or so. But want to take my time in finding the right fit, this is the most important thing above all.

Characteristics I’m looking for in the parents:

Temperament wise
Solid nerves, calm
Medium Drive
Strong fight/defense drive

Physically (specially the sire):
85-90lbs
Thick bones
Thick skull face/head
All black or dark sable

See less See more
#2 ·
Honestly, I live here in the PNW but don't know of any "reputable" breeders in this area!

Certainly I don't know them all. So you could get lucky...

Or you could broaden your search area, and even consider having a puppy shipped to you from - well, anywhere!

Anyway, good luck in your search!

#3 · (Edited)
Do you really understand what the term "man stopper" means? You say you want a dog with medium drive and strong defense drive and solid nerves. Maybe by medium, you mean you don't want a dog with high prey drive. The type of dog you are describing can be found in pedigrees with some old style Czech dogs which are becoming more rare and can be a challenge for a first time owner, but not undoable. I also find that you run the risk with such breedings of running into nerve issues with some of the offspring being over reactive or having a low threshold for defense, which is not my preference. Others prefer such dogs and see them as strong dogs when sometimes they are and sometime they aren't and people are unwilling to admit to that. Van den Heuvel GSDs is in Montana and have some breedings that are likely to produce some serious dogs with lower prey drive, strong defensive aggression that are "man stoppers," and have strong bone and pigment. You also have to factor in the quality of training, the particular breeding and what pup you get. I am not endorsing that kennel. I am just saying some of their pedigrees have dogs in them several generations back that have genetic civil aggression.

#7 ·
For most petty criminals any GSD will stop them. The hardcore criminals will first kill your dog and then proceed with whatever they want, unless you can stop them. Please realize that most time will be spent as a family dog.
I don't agree with the, bolded, above statement.

There are German Shepherds who behave like golden retrievers and some even piss themselves with the slightest change in voice as evidenced in threads right on this forum.

Too many nice doggy to nice doggy back yard breeding going on, IMO

#9 ·
I am a first time GSD owner but have a female Doberman. My family and I are looking to find a GSD that would match our energy as well as needs; we would love to have a male, calm with medium energy. I go camping a lot, surfing and do a lot of activities outside, so enough to go everywhere with me but be calm as well, also needs a good off switch in the house.

My goal is to be able to train him to do Obedience work and eventually possibly some IPO. I want a dog who's natural guarding instincts kick in without much training, but that I can hone later on.

I am not sure which one would be the best for a first time owner but I like the idea of the dog have enough weight behind his glance. I live in a high crime neighborhood and would appreciate a dog that can also be a man-stopper.

We are in no rush but looking for a male that is calm most of all, good solid nerves and strong protection/food/prey drive. Short or medium coat. And the color preferably all black or black sable I am starting to email breeders because I am looking to get him in the next year or so. But want to take my time in finding the right fit, this is the most important thing above all.

Characteristics I’m looking for in the parents:

Temperament wise
Solid nerves, calm
Medium Drive
Strong fight/defense drive

Physically (specially the sire):
85-90lbs
Thick bones
Thick skull face/head
All black or dark sable
Talk to Jean @ Shraderhaus K9 and see if they can produce what you are looking for.

I don't have personal experience with them but they are highly referred to and they are in PNW.

It seems to me that if you're patient, they'll probably come close to your wish list.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.