German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
Fraserglens Ellie of Carmspack 16/12/2021
1,261 Posts
I guess I should clarify this a bit. I don't just chuck a dead deer in the back yard. I process them myself and grind up everything but the big bones. I mix that all up and freeze it in 1 pound packages. Then I can portion according to what the dog needs and it is easy to thaw.

I also freeze the big bones and feed them throughout the week. Some I cut up and some I leave whole.
I got it. I buy my raw pre-made, it’s balanced to meet NRC standards.. but I thought I may of been missing something by not actually letting them consume an actual whole animal.

· Registered
Fraserglens Ellie of Carmspack 16/12/2021
1,261 Posts
i mean, in some capacity, you (we) are… i can’t speak for the exact product you feed, nor can i say how crucial the missing ingredients are, but eyes, fur, pancreas, stomach, testicles, brain, etc, all have certain benefits. when i come across them, i purchase baby quail or whole fish. my supplier occasionally has baby rabbits available but i draw the line there.

that’s my opinion anyway, from a wholistic standpoint.

debbie, i hope this all isn’t causing your head to explode further. moral for the story… give your pups a carrot, mine loves them!
Fair enough, I have seen birds with no head full body intact from raccoons or rabbits with only the stomach eaten by hawks.. there has to be a reason/value to these wild animals. I give whole quails as well.. sardines. Carrots didn’t go over so well, stayed in the yard before I had to chuck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts