German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am transitioning Millie and Theo to raw and would love opinions from those more experienced on whether to follow the PMR model that says dogs do not need veggies or fruit and other models
I am reading Dr Judy鈥檚 Yin and Yang which has recipes that can be raw or cooked and she seems to think they need veggies and fruits. I think my head is going to be explode. My husband was wondering why I was putting turnips and beets in the cart yesterday, along with other stuff and I says it was to make a mash for the dogs he looked at me like I was insane馃ぃ

Administrator
i do both to cover all basis and keep as much variety in his diet as possible. every bit of advise and every decision seems to just be a study away from the opposite being true.

in a perfect world, i鈥檇 feed whole prey (which would include stomach contents)

Administrator
The Nerd Herder
I feed whole animals as much as possible. I do mostly venison.

Green tripe gives you all the benefits of veggies plus the enzymes and bacteria found in the gut.

• Helpful
Reactions: Fodder and Debbieg

Administrator
I feed whole animals as much as possible. I do mostly venison.

Green tripe gives you all the benefits of veggies plus the enzymes and bacteria found in the gut.
yes! tripe! @Debbieg we have a great supplier near us greentripe.com I use the xcalliber blend.

Administrator
The Nerd Herder
When you say whole animals I picture like a whole chicken or duck, or does it mean muscle/organ/bone ?
Whole deer for the most part, and yes, all of those things.

Reactions: Carter Smith

Registered
yes! tripe! @Debbieg we have a great supplier near us greentripe.com I use the xcalliber blend.
I loved green tripe.com. Used to buy it all the time years ago for my dogs. Unfortunately they can't sell in NM anymore because of some stupid labeling issue. Now my local store sells some out of Texas. I don't like it as much so don't get it often. I do buy their mix instead which has tripe, beef and ground bones. My guys get that mixed with Dr. Harvey's Canine Health for dinner.

Administrator
Do you supplement this with liver and other organs to make a complete diet? Do you have the pricing on the xKaliber blend?
i use the xcaliber as a supplement! liver and/or kidney are already included in his normal grinds, so a few ounces of the xcaliber is just a boost about twice a week. it鈥檚 a bit fatty for my guy, he鈥檚 almost 10.

i haven鈥檛 ordered it directly from the site in over a year since i鈥檓 able to pick it up at a couple of local pet stores. i believe i pay $12 for 2 pounds, which may be a mark up from buying it directly. i鈥檇 also save a bit if i bought a larger portion but this a manageable size for me.

Registered
Fern GSD 5yrs, Chloe the Cat
i use the xcaliber as a supplement! liver and/or kidney are already included in his normal grinds, so a few ounces of the xcaliber is just a boost about twice a week. it鈥檚 a bit fatty for my guy, he鈥檚 almost 10.

i haven鈥檛 ordered it directly from the site in over a year since i鈥檓 able to pick it up at a couple of local pet stores. i believe i pay $12 for 2 pounds, which may be a mark up from buying it directly. i鈥檇 also save a bit if i bought a larger portion but this a manageable size for me.
Gotcha. Looking to boost Fern鈥檚 diet as well. Good to know!

Administrator
The Nerd Herder
When you say whole animals I picture like a whole chicken or duck, or does it mean muscle/organ/bone ?
I guess I should clarify this a bit. I don't just chuck a dead deer in the back yard. I process them myself and grind up everything but the big bones. I mix that all up and freeze it in 1 pound packages. Then I can portion according to what the dog needs and it is easy to thaw.

I also freeze the big bones and feed them throughout the week. Some I cut up and some I leave whole.

Registered
Fraserglens Ellie of Carmspack 16/12/2021
I guess I should clarify this a bit. I don't just chuck a dead deer in the back yard. I process them myself and grind up everything but the big bones. I mix that all up and freeze it in 1 pound packages. Then I can portion according to what the dog needs and it is easy to thaw.

I also freeze the big bones and feed them throughout the week. Some I cut up and some I leave whole.
I got it. I buy my raw pre-made, it鈥檚 balanced to meet NRC standards.. but I thought I may of been missing something by not actually letting them consume an actual whole animal.

Administrator
I got it. I buy my raw pre-made, it鈥檚 balanced to meet NRC standards.. but I thought I may of been missing something by not actually letting them consume an actual whole animal.
i mean, in some capacity, you (we) are鈥 i can鈥檛 speak for the exact product you feed, nor can i say how crucial the missing ingredients are, but eyes, fur, pancreas, stomach, testicles, brain, etc, all have certain benefits. when i come across them, i purchase baby quail or whole fish. my supplier occasionally has baby rabbits available but i draw the line there.

that鈥檚 my opinion anyway, from a wholistic standpoint.

debbie, i hope this all isn鈥檛 causing your head to explode further. moral for the story鈥 give your pups a carrot, mine loves them!

Registered
Fraserglens Ellie of Carmspack 16/12/2021
i mean, in some capacity, you (we) are鈥 i can鈥檛 speak for the exact product you feed, nor can i say how crucial the missing ingredients are, but eyes, fur, pancreas, stomach, testicles, brain, etc, all have certain benefits. when i come across them, i purchase baby quail or whole fish. my supplier occasionally has baby rabbits available but i draw the line there.

that鈥檚 my opinion anyway, from a wholistic standpoint.

debbie, i hope this all isn鈥檛 causing your head to explode further. moral for the story鈥 give your pups a carrot, mine loves them!
Fair enough, I have seen birds with no head full body intact from raccoons or rabbits with only the stomach eaten by hawks.. there has to be a reason/value to these wild animals. I give whole quails as well.. sardines. Carrots didn鈥檛 go over so well, stayed in the yard before I had to chuck.

Registered

Lucky dogs!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My golden Pippin would never eat carrots until I began walking past a horse pasture with 5 horses who would see me coming and come to the fence for the carrots I brought. Two horses even bit and pushed each other out of the way for the carrots

Pippin saw that and soon he began wanting carrots too and now he loves them!

Administrator
The Nerd Herder
lucky human!!!!
Keystones food bill is more than mine, lol
It's A LOT of work to harvest, score and process 2000 pounds of game a year.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts