German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I wanted to take this opportunity to show off my puppy as well as ask a quick question. :)
She’s a BBS, 3 months old and doing super great. I just have a question about her coat. Her mother was long-haired the father was a plush coat and the breeder predicted she would be long-haired. But I’m not so sure what she’ll turn out to be. What do you guys think?

By the way thank you for all the suggestions on my last post. Embarrassingly enough I have not chosen a name for her yet. Nothing seems to quite fit. I will update you guys when I finally decide though. <3

Attachments

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
plushy stock coat. She doesn't have significant ear floofs or hair between her toes that's super long .

·
Super Moderator
32,283 Posts
Plush is a descriptive term, not a coat type. There are stock coats - the standard double coat, which can vary from very short and tight to the body to thicker and fuller, (I'm guessing this is what the breeder is referring to as "plush", but it's really just a nice thick stock coat), long stock coat (long outer coat with an undercoat), and a true longcoat, which does not have an undercoat. The latter is much more rare, so when most people refer to a longcoat they mean a long stock coat. Long coats also vary in length, but all of them are going to have the extra fur in and around the ears.

I'm thinking not a longcoat either, the extra hairy feet take some time to develop so you wouldn't be seeing it at this age, but the floofy ear fur would be apparent by now and I'm not seeing that either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys. That’s what i was suspecting. I’ve seen pics of long haired puppies and she doesn’t seem to look like them anymore. (She did when she was younger and i first met her, but i understand puppy coats change) Not that I love her any less, but what would my line of action be if the breeder sold her to me under false pretenses ??
I specifically told her I was looking for a long haired puppy when they were born and told her I would put a deposit down IF the female was long haired. She gave me the same info Cassidy’s mom gave me, about the long fur around the ears n such and showed it to me and said that because of this, yes she will be long haired.
Is there anything I can do at this point? Or is it too late? I know stuff like color and coat isn’t always guaranteed in a breeding. And i know it’s not necessarily important. Most important is health and temperment before all that. But it was a preference of mine. And I waited over a year for what i thought would be a long haired puppy...and paid a good amount of money. More than what most people would pay for a dog. I just would’ve liked that considering all of this, the breeder be upfront with me.

·
Super Moderator
7,228 Posts
1. Do you have baby pictures of when she resembled a longcoat?
2. Any full litter pics for comparison?
3. Unless coat length was specified and guaranteed in your contract, I don’t believe there is anything to be done.
4. Even a dog that is genetically a long coat can have a range of actual coat lengths - sometimes as short as a stock coat but will always have distinguishable feathering.
5. For what it’s worth - we are comparing her puppy coat to those of your typical GSD... although, theoretically the same rule should apply - I am not familiar with the BBS types enough - although they’d still genetically have one coat type or the other... most appear “somewhere in the middle” to me.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Thank you guys. That’s what i was suspecting. I’ve seen pics of long haired puppies and she doesn’t seem to look like them anymore. (She did when she was younger and i first met her, but i understand puppy coats change) Not that I love her any less, but what would my line of action be if the breeder sold her to me under false pretenses ??
I specifically told her I was looking for a long haired puppy when they were born and told her I would put a deposit down IF the female was long haired. She gave me the same info Cassidy’s mom gave me, about the long fur around the ears n such and showed it to me and said that because of this, yes she will be long haired.
Is there anything I can do at this point? Or is it too late? I know stuff like color and coat isn’t always guaranteed in a breeding. And i know it’s not necessarily important. Most important is health and temperment before all that. But it was a preference of mine. And I waited over a year for what i thought would be a long haired puppy...and paid a good amount of money. More than what most people would pay for a dog. I just would’ve liked that considering all of this, the breeder be upfront with me.
Not much you can do if that's your case unless you specifically had a contract that guarantees coat length (which almost none do - and shouldn't)

I would bring it up to your breeder if it REALLY is that upsetting to you... but yeah that isn't a long stock coat

1 - 8 of 8 Posts