German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4 month old female GSD. We were told by the breeder that she is a plush coat and registered her with AKC as such. However, she looks awfully poofy to me! Especially her ears/mane. I don't see anything on her legs or tail, really, but I am a novice at this.

What do you think?

Pictures are of her at 10.5 weeks, 3 months, and 4 months.

I appreciate you opinions!

Attachments

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
She is an adorable long stock coat sable! As she gets older the fur will get longer and she'll probably darken up. What is her name? Welcome to the board, by the way!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
i dunno but she is REALLY CUTE!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome!

Her name is Maya :)

My husband and I were both raised with GSDs, but she is our first. We are completely in love with her!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
if you get sick of her I'll send you my address:)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the compliments on her! So is the long stock coat an 'acceptable' coat as far as the breed is concerned? I didn't think you could register a long coat GSD with AKC...or is that the long standard coat? What is the difference anyway? The undercoat, right?

IMO, she is perfect whatever she is.

Jakoda - we are in Salem, CT!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
crisco NO WAY! LOL,,,well heck I could come right over and pick her up!! LOL...can I ask who you got her from???? she's sooooo gorgeous!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
ahhh I have heard good things of them,,she is gorgeous..and there's plenty to do in the area with puppies/classes and stuff, if you need any info let me know, I'd be glad to direct you to some good places..

Your in a good spot, not to far from all the doggie goings on !

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
WynterCote has a pup from the same breeder...you can do a search on threads concerning his/her pup.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I didn't think you could register a long coat GSD with AKC...or is that the long standard coat?
You can register any coat with AKC, but you can't do much with a long coat in conformation. All performance events are still good though.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
okay, can I interrupt and ask what is the difference in the 3 long coats?
I have a long coat, wasn't aware there were different descriptions. I just know it costs me over $$$ to get her groomed 2x month because it gets tangled in a day.

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
Krystyne, does your dog have an undercoat? If not, then your dog is a long coat. Not a long stock coat. Which would make sense if the coat gets tangled quickly.
My long stock coat doesn't tangle, she may mat around her fuzzybutt area, but thats it.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
yes, its her rear end that gets matted really fast and it is kind of woolly and has a wavy under coat. Her tail drags the ground and gets matted in a matter of hours after the groomers lol but the rest of her hair doesn't appear to have much under coat and it's thin, long, shiny strands that never tangle. Is this because she is Czech/German lines?
I need to read about the difference. My GSD books don't really talk about this.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Long stock has the undercoat, standard long doesn't, and plush is a description for a standard stock coat that is longer and seems inbetween stock and long stock. But there is no genetic difference in plush, while long stock and stock are different genetically.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the input :)

Diane - I am looking for good puppy training classes and a reputable kennel, if you have recommendations! I have heard good things about Jon Gagnon in Colchester, but I haven't called them yet. We are not looking for anything more than basic puppy training - we don't plan to show or work her.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
yes jon would be one to check out, they also board dogs there and his new place is like a doggie club med:)))

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
why don't you comb and brush her yourself?

okay, can I interrupt and ask what is the difference in the 3 long coats?
I have a long coat, wasn't aware there were different descriptions. I just know it costs me over $$$ to get her groomed 2x month because it gets tangled in a day.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts