German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I got Rex on the 3rd of this month. He is now 9 months old. The story behind getting him is below.

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/750275-desperate-need-advice.html

We were training, swimming and all happy and great for all the last period.

He was in a sit maybe two days ago, and I noticed that he lifted his left leg sometimes. And noticed a very small limp. Both came and went in the last couple of days. Nothing at all before and as per my thread above, I have a check and trainer check him who said bone articulation and how he moves looks great. That was part of why I was happy getting him.

This came sudden. I think when we went into the car maybe a week days, he went in vigorously and might have hit his leg. But of course I am not sure this is the cause.

Anyhow, found an ortho vet here and just came back. Vet examined his left leg. With a couple of manipulations and yelps :)crying: the doc said he has pain in the shoulder and elbow together. He recommended XRays and we are scheduled for tomorrow 8 am. Will sedate. He gave him a painkiller injection.

I am worried it is ED....Doc did not want to say anything, but I told him due to the fact that it came sudden and that pain is in both elbow and shoulder, isnt it more likely to be physical trauma? I am thinking why would the shoulder have pain if it was ED?

Any feedback and support would be very nice now :frown2: I feel very sad for him and I am very worried. It has been a wonderful 20 days with play and all and zero symptoms.

Please tell me what you think.

Many thanks

Mozi

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
We all hate to see our dogs in pain, but wait and see what the x-rays show. Young dogs are clumsy sometimes, he could have just run into something or twisted something. The x-rays will tell for sure...

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
My 3 yr male was a crash and bash boy growing up, and he banged himself up into limping once or twice. He recovered with rest and was OFA'ed later and his joints are great. So it may not be that big of a deal for what it's worth.

Also check for tick diseases, they can manifest like this too. One time I had one start a front end limp suddenly with no cause, there had been no crash or anything, and it was a tick thing and it resolved quickly with treatment

Also...whenever I see a minor limp like you described this starting, they always go on rest meaning no wild play and leash walking only. Little boo boos turn into big boo boos. But if you rein them in at the little boo boo, sometimes you never get the big boo boo.

And lastly--- I assume you and or the vet have checked the paw. I've seen some pretty severe limps which were caused by an inflamed paw. Twice not the pads themselves but the webbing in between pads was inflamed and red and swollen and the dog was limping quite bad on it but it cleared up fast with proper tx and no more limping

·
Registered
663 Posts
To me it DOES sound like he bashed himself on something that didn't move or give. My young clumsy horse did

this to her shoulder also. I think she ran into a tree or fence post.

Lay off hard exercise until there' NO limping. No excited jumping. And in the future don't allow him to jump out of your SUV. Always assist him getting out. I've see several large dogs get injuries getting in and out of high trucks.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Update!

It was a long night and we woke up to go for X Rays.

Dropped Rex at 8 am and they told me to come back to talk to ortho doc at 2pm.

I came in and he said I have good news. He took 16 X rays. All leg joints, front and back. Spine. Etc.

He said Hips and Elbows look perfect and paw bones also. That made me happy :)

Then he showed me the picture of spine and tail, side pic. He said that at the end of it, there Might be a bit of a curve that if he grows up MIGHT create some issue that he called Cauda Equine. He said it is very slight and might be nothing, only a structural form. I asked does he have it, or symptom of it? He said no, I am not saying he has it, but if he grows in a certain way he might have it or might not have it at all. He said dont worry about, this is something that if he develops would be 10 years down the road and to forget about it.

I paid around USD 600 for the whole thing so he might have wanted to say that he is very observant and tried to predict. I thought it was weird that he was trying to predict growth 10 years from now.

He said he must have hit himself or wrong move. He was very rowdy this past weekend. My friend were around and one of my friends saw him hit his shoulder at the side of the table. Needless to say, that table is out of the house!

He said these are pictures that you can send to certify that he does not have HD or ED.

So overall, I would say great result?? Rex is almost 9 months. With what the doc says in terms of "perfect", does that mean the chance for developing HD / ED are slim in the future given where we are today?

What are your thoughts on his "prediction" of he might get Cauda Equine 10 years from now??

Thank you for the support :) Going to get him now and excited to hug him!

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Did your vet mention pano? It's NOT uncommon in GSD's but many vets are unaware and blame other (also in the breed) more serious conditions.

panosteitis in the german shepherd

https://www.ufaw.org.uk/dogs/german-shepherd-panosteitis

https://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/musculoskeletal/c_multi_panosteitis

http://leerburg.com/pdf/pano.pdf

I know a GSD owner who's vet immediately said Hip Dysplasia and had them headed to a very expensive hip surgery before they were able to hit the brakes on that with a diagnosis of pano from another vet.

Reactions: GypsyGhost

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did your vet mention pano? It's NOT uncommon in GSD's but many vets are unaware and blame other (also in the breed) more serious conditions.

panosteitis in the german shepherd

https://www.ufaw.org.uk/dogs/german-shepherd-panosteitis

https://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/musculoskeletal/c_multi_panosteitis

http://leerburg.com/pdf/pano.pdf

I know a GSD owner who's vet immediately said Hip Dysplasia and had them headed to a very expensive hip surgery before they were able to hit the brakes on that with a diagnosis of pano from another vet.
Hi Maggie!

Yes he did before the Xrays and said tat could be a possibility and said it will be very clear in the Xrays.

He confirmed that it was not. He said all is clear and looks great. Of course he had to ruin it with that possibility of the Cauda Equine 10 years from now!

He is sending me the report and he Xrays tomorrow. Rex just ate and all :)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Great News! Well the positive outcome is also now you have a great set of 'baseline' x-rays if in the future your
vet wants to compare new x-rays to old ones. always good to hold onto them.

PS/ I no longer allow my hyper Heidi to play or be rambunctious in the house. Too easy to slip and fall on my
slippery floors and too much furniture to bump into.

So glad all is well for you and your boy.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
I still wouldn't rule out pano, be interesting if you put him on low dosage aspirin for a bit whether you see a change.

Great news is you do have some baseline x-rays for the future.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
I still wouldn't rule out pano, be interesting if you put him on low dosage aspirin for a bit whether you see a change.

Good luck!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Good luck!
He has him on half pill of Carprophen-Dolocarp twice a day for a week.

We just woke up. Went for a pipi walk. Did some sits, no lifting of the affected leg so hopefully healing with the meds.
Came back, did some brushing, then he just experienced this bolt of crazy energy I guess that is called the frenzies! Crated him to calm him down....

Thank you all for the support...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Doc's report :)

No mention of Cauda Equine or anything :)

Physical Exam

22-Oct-2018 9:58:43am, Dr Juan Vega

Rex is better today (yesterday we gave him meloxicam), but still limping (2/5) from his left front leg.

Xrays under sedation. No anesthetic issues.

Hip:
Very good conformation of both coxofemoral joints, no evidence of dysplasia seen.

Front legs:
Very good conformation of both elbow and shoulder joints, no evidence of elbow dysplasia seen.
Carpus bones are normal, and no sign of orthopaedic issue presence.

I think the dog has a soft tissue problem, maybe a ligament tear, joint distension... with NSAID and resting time should be enough.

Follow up after 7 days.

Diagnostic Result

22-Oct-2018 11:26:19am, Dr Juan Vega

X-RAY Proximal Limb Series - Dog - Dr Juan Vega (Ref: AE189-DR18434)

Outcome

Very good conformation of both elbow and shoulder joints, no evidence of elbow dysplasia seen.
Carpus bones are normal, and no sign of orthopaedic issue presence.

22-Oct-2018 11:21:52am, Dr Juan Vega

X-RAY Pelvic Series - Dog - Dr Juan Vega (Ref: AE189-DR18437)
Outcome
Very good conformation of both coxofemoral joints, no evidence of dysplasia seen.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts