German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, this is my first post to this forum. i'm having a issue with my father in laws 5 year old female GSD. She has always been a very healthy, big dog. All of the sudden about 2 weeks ago she began to drink excess amounts of water to the point where she needs to go out constantly and now she will urinate in the house and in her sleep. She has always peed outside and even as a puppy she never went in the house. about 5 days ago she went to the vet to rule out any issues. Blood tests came back fine as well as the UA. Less than a year ago, Bailey changed food from Pro Plan to Blue Buffalo. She weighs around 102lbs and does not have diabeties which was checked for. Please someone help. i'm so confused and we all love this dog so much it has us all baffled. If anyone has any advice come to me please. Thanks so much. If you need any other info please let me know so we can figure this out. The vet also said she seems ok, but this behavior is not normal and i know something is up. Cushings has also been ruled out. She is normal as can be. If you knew her you would not think anything is wrong. When she drinks the water though its like she cannot gulp it fast enough... HELP ME PLEASE:confused::confused:

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
I had one with similar behavior and the dog had diabetes insipidus. Caused by the pituitary gland, not the pacreas and sugar imbalance.
Also, are her kidney levels ok?

I am sorry to butt in, but 102lbs sound too much for a female. Very few have a large enough frame to carry that weight. I would suggest getting some weight off as it may cause problems as the animal ages.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Yeah, 102lbs just sounds a bit on the large side. I know my male can't hold more than 90 without starting to look chunky, his ideal weight is between 75-85lbs.

Is it possible she got into something? Other than medical, the only thing I can think of is getting into something extremely salty; my first dog would snatch boullion cubes that fell on the floor of the pantry and it would make him drink water by the gallons.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My cocker spaniel went through a period when she urinated in her sleep. She was a little older, maybe 7 or 8. We switched vets about when the problem developed. The old vet had had put Holly on a medication for incontinence. Sorry, I can't remember the name of it. The new vet took her off that med immediately because he said it would negatively impact Holly's heart condition. He ran a bunch of tests and found nothing wrong. He then had us switch to Royal Canin Medium Aging Care food. We had been feeding her Nutro. I can't remember which one. This was at least five years ago. The incontinence went away and has not been a problem since. I think the food solved it. Still, if I were you, I would want to rule out other health issues first.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had one with similar behavior and the dog had diabetes insipidus. Caused by the pituitary gland, not the pacreas and sugar imbalance.
Also, are her kidney levels ok?

I am sorry to butt in, but 102lbs sound too much for a female. Very few have a large enough frame to carry that weight. I would suggest getting some weight off as it may cause problems as the animal ages.
your not butting in, i will try. the vet says she is ok, maybe she should lose 2 lbs. she is a big german shepherd. Her kidney levels are ok, according to the blood tests. Do you think it can be her food?
IMAG0941.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My cocker spaniel went through a period when she urinated in her sleep. She was a little older, maybe 7 or 8. We switched vets about when the problem developed. The old vet had had put Holly on a medication for incontinence. Sorry, I can't remember the name of it. The new vet took her off that med immediately because he said it would negatively impact Holly's heart condition. He ran a bunch of tests and found nothing wrong. He then had us switch to Royal Canin Medium Aging Care food. We had been feeding her Nutro. I can't remember which one. This was at least five years ago. The incontinence went away and has not been a problem since. I think the food solved it. Still, if I were you, I would want to rule out other health issues first.
I read that many owners of all different types of dogs had issues with Blue Buffalo that caused the exact issues she is having. They did a recall and actually paid the vet bills for a lot of people. i switched her food to Nutro, grain free, hoping this would help. Its only been 1 day since the switch but she is doing the same thing, i know it takes a while to get that food out of her system though...
She is going to get another look tomorrow at a place it costs 200 dollars just to get in...

·
Premium Member
11,248 Posts
although you need to find out why she is not able to control her bladder - there is a med that can help called Proin....my 12 year old male is incontinent now and this is what he is on....

Lee

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
your right i do need to find out why. i just dont want it to be serious. you know how much your dog means to you. its impossible to think of life without them. what does that med do? what happened that made your dog need that?

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Is she spayed? There is something called spay incontinence and it's fairly common in spayed females and usually shows up at about that age. My Massie had it and it was very easily controlled with a natural bovine hormone supplement which was like estrogen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts