German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I noticed that my puppy (11 weeks) (Has 1st/2nd set of vaccines) had diarrhea. I know that is one of the common symptoms and it has me freaking out. She still eats/drinks/plays so i'm uncertain. Her diet didn't change so I ruled that out. Should I rush her to the vet anyways?

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Pups get icky poop, so not necessarily anything to worry about. If parvo is in the area, you might be able to go to the vet and have the pup tested. Catching it early is key. I would probably get the test.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Yesterday I noticed that my puppy (11 weeks) (Has 1st/2nd set of vaccines) had diarrhea. I know that is one of the common symptoms and it has me freaking out. She still eats/drinks/plays so i'm uncertain. Her diet didn't change so I ruled that out. Should I rush her to the vet anyways?
I would take her to the vet. Just because if it is Parvo - things happen pretty fast with young puppies. I had two puppies come down with it at the same time.For your peace of mind and the chance of catching something right away.... Both of mine recovered but we got them in with 24 hours of symptoms.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
And if the test comes up negative, some probiotics can help with the loose stools.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Puppies often get diarrhea from intestinal worms--very treatable with a few days of Panacur or another appropriate dewormer from the vet. The type of worm determines what kind of dewormer is needed, so the vet may have to look at a fecal float under a microscope to determine that. Some of the nastiest worms (hooks and whips) are too small to be visible to the naked eye, so you won't see them in the poop. Worms can become very serious if left untreated: a bad case of whipworms and hookworms can actually kill puppies from dehydration and even blood loss.

Less commonly, I've seen puppies get diarrhea from coccidia, giardia, and other microbes. Coccidia requires a very specific anti-protozoal medicine from the vet. It causes bad, bad (even bloody) diarrhea.

Parvo is less common, but a real threat--it usually is accompanied by vomiting though. It hits them very hard and fast, and they stop eating.

ALL diarrhea in a young puppy is a same-day vet visit as far as I'm concerned. Our fosters in the rescue who deal with young pups know it's never "wait and see" because puppies crash so fast. The vet will probably need to run a test or two to figure out what's causing it, but it's necessary. Don't panic, but do get to the vet today.

·
Super Moderator
5,634 Posts
Well, lol, there you go! The ups and downs of dog ownership. Glad it wasn't parvo!

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
So I took her to the vet and the good news is she doesn't have worms/parvo. The bad news is it costed me $200 just to find that out lol
Welcome to ownng a GSD

Wait til you pay $350 because you swear the dog has bloat and you must go to the ER vet on a Sunday for xrays--but it's just a belly full of food....

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
So I took her to the vet and the good news is she doesn't have worms/parvo. The bad news is it costed me $200 just to find that out lol
This looks like a good time to talk about pet insurance. It's for real. It was hard for me to afford or justify because I hadn't used it before but I found the way to get the $40.00 per month for the premium for her first year.

I was shocked at the price the vets charge. My last GSD lived to be almost 15 and was never sick - all that while everything outside of a general check up was going sky high. The insurance is well worth it in the first year at least. Check it out. I used Pet Plan but there are several others. They have an online calculator where you type in your dogs age, breed and any previous diagnosis - pretty good deal.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Except a lot of things aren't covered. Like you spend $600 on an exam and X-rays for an injury (covered) to find out its pano (not covered).

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Except a lot of things aren't covered. Like you spend $600 on an exam and X-rays for an injury (covered) to find out its pano (not covered).
Need to look over the policy before you buy. With GSD's I saw several that would not cover HD with GSD's. The one I chose does, there are no exceptions except pre-diagnosed problems. Pano's covered. What they did require was a vet's check up prior to coverage. This was very simple. The only thing outside of a normal puppy exam was the vet with helper took her out into the parking lot and had her trot/run so he could see movement from the rear, that after manual feeling the hip area and flexing the legs.

They are also very tight on covering you at a reasonable rate ONLY IF you comply with your vets wishes... IE; If your vet wants the full load of vacs because that's what he does (and you don't) - find another vet quick before he can tell the insurance company that you "refused' recommended protocol.

The younger you get a puppy signed up, the better the premiums. I noticed, mine started out at 40.00 per month and when she turned 1 year old they jumped to 54.00 per month.....and they go up from there.

It was from posts here, that I learned about the importance of first year coverage at least. Yes, some false alarms, but IMO better safe than sorry with a young pup- gave me some peace of mind too. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This looks like a good time to talk about pet insurance. It's for real. It was hard for me to afford or justify because I hadn't used it before but I found the way to get the $40.00 per month for the premium for her first year.

I was shocked at the price the vets charge. My last GSD lived to be almost 15 and was never sick - all that while everything outside of a general check up was going sky high. The insurance is well worth it in the first year at least. Check it out. I used Pet Plan but there are several others. They have an online calculator where you type in your dogs age, breed and any previous diagnosis - pretty good deal.

Yeah I looked into it when I first brought her home but I think I looked at the wrong insurance company because from what I read, they didn't want to cover much at all. I'll look more in depth at different companies and see if I can find a good deal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts