German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Neko is 6 months now...and I've been trying, really working with obedience, long walks every day, getting that "tongue hanging out" at least once, if not twice a day. But just now, I heard a not so good noise, and look over to see she's crunching away on the edge of our entertainment center. Fine, I get out the bitter apple spray and give a shot to every furniture corner in the room. What does Miss Butthead do, but run over and start gnawing on a freshly sprayed corner of the storage bench? Why is that bully stick not appealing, but the furniture is? :mad:

Argh, I just needed to vent...feel better now. Tomorrow is a new day. And rain or shine, she's going to get tired out.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Either I got lucky, or He hasn't gotten to it yet! lol mine is awesome!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Fortunately Freyja doesn't like the furniture, but she loves my $300+ Kate Spade shoes. "NO" to her in these situations means "Mommy no longer loves me, I must redefine my space in her life by marking it" I have told her multiple times " If I didn't love you I would skin you". We are almost 8 months and we have not reached the end of that state. We finally understand that "come" means "COME" etc.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
It will pass--I went back to basics, obedience training 3 times a day for about 5 minutes, the same time each day. I had him do doggie push ups- sit, down, sit, down for a few minutes then stay come, etc. Tug in the evening for 15 mins, a bully stick to chew on, things like that got him over that stage.

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
I can just do the "Awww! What did you do?" and that is enough to have my dogs never do it again...I have a table with puppy teeth bitemarks from Onyx and Karlo, but that is it. By the time you catch them the damage is done. Though I would never say it is a butthead stage, I really don't like that term.
It is my fault for not containing the pup or supervising them.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
train, train, train and socialize, socialize and socialize.
train and socialzie indoors and outdoors. training and socialzing
a couple of times a day isn't nearly enough. what do you do besides
spraying a bitter spray on the funiture when you catch her eating at the
funiture?

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
to me when people use the term "butthead stage" i think
it's a way of blaming the dog for something we should be
on top of. the dogs not a butthead because it chews funiture,
nips, gets into the trash can they we made available for them,
tips it water bowl, goes in the house, etc.

I can just do the "Awww! What did you do?" and that is enough to have my dogs never do it again...I have a table with puppy teeth bitemarks from Onyx and Karlo, but that is it. By the time you catch them the damage is done. Though I would never say it is a butthead stage, I really don't like that term.
It is my fault for not containing the pup or supervising them.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I know it's my fault, for not crating or supervising her, obviously. And that's most of my frustration. But it's Friday, been a long week, and dang! I can't afford new furniture!
I redirect her when she does this kind of thing...the bully stick became much more interesting when I turned away from the computer. And of course if I engage her in play, that's the best. But some days, you have other things that need to get done too.

·
Registered
728 Posts
My observation with Rem at the age of 5 1/2 months is that the so called "butthead stage" is simply the transition from sleeping a lot puppyhood to way more energy teenager stage, and sometimes it's very difficult to drain said energy. Remi literally went from playing for 30 mins and then sleeping for 3 hours to playing for 18 hours and sleeping for 2 - he only naps once a day now, and not for very long! And I'm home all day with him, and we play, we walk, we run, we train, we play again, we run again, we train again - doesn't matter, he's still got energy, and even after having played or walked for 3 hours, I go to eat lunch, and BAM he's handing my mother the corner of her mattress... -_- Bully sticks, knuckle bones, etc. are also unappealing compared to the couch cushions - why? Because chewing on a bully stick elicits no response from me, and what he desires is constant attention, good OR bad.

So obviously the dog is bored, but not from our lack of trying OR being watchful - it happens, these pups are energetic and into everything, that's life! I'm just doing what I can and bearing with it until it passes just like I did with the landshark phase.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Dexter has improved greatly as he nears a year old. I've actually been leaving him out of his crate for a couple of hours when I'm gone and so far, no damage. I do close the doggy door so he can't go outside and he does have Luke (5 years old) to chew on when alone. They do outgrow the destructive stage. That's been my experience, but I suppose there are exceptions.

·
Registered
606 Posts
All dogs, no matter what age, need basic needs met: Exercise/Food/Shelter/Attention.

If all needs are met than you have a well-balanced, well-behaved dog.

In my house if I get busy and try to rush the dogs through "exercise" I am met with destructive behavior. Whether it is chewing, jumping, etc. And it happens, more than I would like some times, but it does.
It's what you do after the fact that matters......any attention whether it is negative or not is still attention. So when you yell for chewing on the furniture it reinforced the behavior. If you redirect to something more appropriate then reward with attention your pup will naturally seek out the toy instead.

Next time your pup chews the furniture, redirect/reward/exercise in that order. (You don't want to start playing after chewing the furniture because that is a reward. Redirect first.) Even if it is throwing the ball down the hallway and practicing foundation training work then go back to your spot and see if the pup seeks the furniture out again.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Bitter apple on a seriously motivated dog usually will not work unless approached in a certain way. Use only if puppy chews on items in front of you and still won't stop. I control my puppy's access to areas of the house and have only had to use this remedy on neighbors puppy that the neighbor was getting so sick and tired of chewing they were going to return the pup.

Twice daily completely soak a cotton ball ith bitter apple. In the morning and evening put the cotton ball in the pups mouth and hold for about a minute.

By the second or third day the pup will show such an avoidance to the bitter apple you know he is ready. Then spraying any item with the bitter apple will be avoided like the plague.

This will not make your pup hate you or lose trust, but is a serious aide only used when you cannot find another successful method.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts