German Shepherds Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Registered
2,951 Posts
Special nightmares are the best and really once Zoe has met you a few times in the home she is less likely to react. However, having our neighborhood kid crew over is becoming harder since kids tend to hit and wrestle and while she doesn't mind when it is my two kids fighting any other kid who touches mine is policed by her:(

I hope this guy is amazing and fits with you guys he looks like a special soul:)

· Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
So...we're back. Without Rexy. He is a gorgeous, gorgeous guy.
Here's his description that the shelter put up:
I am handsome, friendly, classic looking German Shepherd. I am quite a prize because I am already house broken, crate trained and know lots of commands. And I just love people, kids, other dogs. I am as happy as the day is long. I just need to be part of a family that I can shower with love and affection. Please pay me a visit; we might be a match!
Here's what the shelter volunteer told us from his surrender sheet...he was used as a breeder stud dog (HE IS ONLY 9 MONTHS OLD!) and was exclusively an outside dog, though somehow he was "crate trained." He was kept outside alone for 8 hours a day and his owner said "he needs to go to a home with other dogs and a big yard."
This led me to ask..."Does he have separation anxiety?"
And the answer: Yes, SEVERE separation anxiety...like, structure-altering destruction. In fact he was wearing a cone which I thought was because he had been neutered, but in reality was because it kept him from trying so desperately to escape.

So, despite the fact that in the 15 minutes I spent with him he started to melt my heart (he is smart!), that was a definite deal breaker. He would be perfect for someone who is at home and has the time to spend training him, but definitely not a good "soul pup" for Regen.

We do have a "wanted ad" out with 2 local breeders and the GSD rescue, so maybe we'll get lucky soon. We would prefer to rescue because all of my dogs have been rescues and I love them!

Thanks for the advice and support...I am glad we at least checked him out.

Cheryl, will email you with trainer info and the full agility class report. It went really well, considering Regen's issues. She did great.

· Registered
2,951 Posts
You made the right choice for your current female though even though I know that was hard it would have been too much and possibly caused her to regress. Sorry he was not a match, but he needs a lot of time and energy you are already exerting:( Hope he finds an awesome patient home maybe with a stay at home mom or something.

· Registered
3,007 Posts
How sad for the poor boy, I hope he finds a loving home. You did the right thing for your family.

· Registered
821 Posts
I'm sorry it didn't work out :( but I also think you did the right thing by walking away, even though it must have been difficult. As hard as this is to say (I dont mean to sound cold-hearted), Regen needs to be your number one priority right now. I'm sure this guy will find a new home! He's beautiful!

I cant wait to hear all about the agility class!! Sounds like she's going to love it!

· Registered
12,331 Posts
So...we're back. Without Rexy. He is a gorgeous, gorgeous guy.

We do have a "wanted ad" out with 2 local breeders and the GSD rescue, so maybe we'll get lucky soon. We would prefer to rescue because all of my dogs have been rescues and I love them!
Hi there. I commented a long time ago about your dog's SA issues. My dog Rafi had SA and having another dog around did not help him, even when it was one of his best buddies. I know several people who have rehabbed dogs with severe (as in break out of crate and destroy the house) SA and the only thing that worked was careful and slow counter conditioning.

If you do end up getting another dog I would highly recommend a mature and mellow adult gsd. I would work with a reputable rescue who has dogs in foster homes and find a dog who is cool as a cucumber. And I would also continue to work on counter conditioning.

· Registered
462 Posts
I think you are amazing and very impressed that you were able to meet this dog that you liked and walk away knowing he wasnt right for your family!! That takes a lot of thought! I think it was a smart decision and while its sad that he didn't work out..I think you will find a dog that will fit your family better! Good luck on your search

· Registered
9,340 Posts
If you do end up getting another dog I would highly recommend a mature and mellow adult gsd. I would work with a reputable rescue who has dogs in foster homes and find a dog who is cool as a cucumber. And I would also continue to work on counter conditioning.
I strongly second this. An older, calmer dog who's been there, done that, and isn't phased by any of it would be a great influence on Regan.

· Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
That's pretty much exactly what we are looking for...we were thinking age 3-5, does that sound about right?

We work on her SA 'protocol' pretty much daily, and she is at the point where she can be home for 6 hours without destroying anything or hurting herself BUT it raises her anxiety through the roof and that shows in her reactivity to other dogs...so for now, we're using daycare and her dog-buddy Miikka for anything longer than 3 hours.

We definitely wouldn't be considering another pup unless we had evidence that another (calm, confident, mellow) dog helped her SA and overall anxiety levels.
Unfortunately, both of the GSD rescues in NM don't use foster homes, so we are looking out of state. It might take a while.

· Banned
5,218 Posts
I think you are amazing and very impressed that you were able to meet this dog that you liked and walk away knowing he wasnt right for your family!! That takes a lot of thought! I think it was a smart decision and while its sad that he didn't work out..I think you will find a dog that will fit your family better! Good luck on your search
Amen

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.