German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
821 Posts
Take a look at him, with Regen, when you are there today.

I can tell you this: There have been a few times that Regen and Miikka are in the family room alone (I’m in the office). They do just fine…for 30 minutes, an hour, and hour-and-a- half, or whatever without ever coming to look for me. Now, maybe she knows I’m still in the house but maybe she’s just fine with having another dog close by.

If you do get the other guy, I think it would be wise to bring both of them over for a week or two...but I think very quickly they can be left home alone together.

Keep us posted!!!

· Registered
821 Posts
Hee hee...I can only picture if we DO bring him home what your house would be like with 3 GSDs under the age of 2!! :wild: Oh, it would be soooooo fun!! :silly:

The other family that watched Regen said the same, she was out playing with their male Borzoi for over an hour without looking for a human, and that was when she would start yelping as soon as we were out of her sight.

The big thing will be temperament. She doesn't need another dog with any hint of reactivity or anxiety!
I agree!

· Registered
821 Posts
Can you foster this guy for now? Might give you time to see how he is and if he has any quirks, if Regen likes him, and what life will be like with two dogs. Sounds like your girl's issues are something your going to have to deal with permanently though they may get better with time she's always going to be Regen. A friend could help or worsen her issues but if you don't try you'll never know. I would go meet him and see if there is a bond, bring Regen and see how she reacts, and make your decision from there. The worse that can happen is there's no bond and you walk away:)

Fostering would be a great idea, if it's possible!

· Registered
821 Posts
Hee hee...I can only picture if we DO bring him home what your house would be like with 3 GSDs under the age of 2!! :wild:

The other family that watched Regen said the same, she was out playing with their male Borzoi for over an hour without looking for a human, and that was when she would start yelping as soon as we were out of her sight.

The big thing will be temperament. She doesn't need another dog with any hint of reactivity or anxiety!

Edit: @Zoey'smom: If the initial meet and greet goes well, we will ask if fostering is a possibility. That would be ideal, because I do believe t the right dog would be a godsend for Regen, but we wouldn't want to commit to two special needs dogs. Regen is a love and we wouldn't part with her for the world, but I don't know that we could manage the amount of training and socializing that would be needed if we adopted another dog with her, erm, personality profile.

Edit: his pics from petfinder:

Geesh, he's beautiful!!!!! WOW!

· Registered
821 Posts
I don't know what happened to his tail, but it made me sad. I'm nervous! We leave in 45 min...nervous for her first agility class AND for meeting him if he is still there. [/QUOTE]

If possible, PLEASE let me know how it went today, as soon as you get home!!! I can hardly wait to hear about this guy (and how todays class went)!

Also, who is your trainer?

· Registered
821 Posts
I'm sorry it didn't work out :( but I also think you did the right thing by walking away, even though it must have been difficult. As hard as this is to say (I dont mean to sound cold-hearted), Regen needs to be your number one priority right now. I'm sure this guy will find a new home! He's beautiful!

I cant wait to hear all about the agility class!! Sounds like she's going to love it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.