German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you want the full story, read below, but the reason I need a talking to is that we are considering going to look at a 9 month old sable male GSD at the shelter who just popped up (owner surrender)...house-trained, crate-trained, good with kids and other dogs...but the catch is that this is a shelter, so if we like him, I think we would have to bring him home right away.

This is a bad idea, right? Even the best dog can get set up for problems if you don't get them when they have a couple of days to adjust to their new surroundings with you around.

We have been talking about getting another dog for a couple of months now for several reasons (see below), but had imagined that we would do it right before Christmas break if possible so we had 2 weeks to work on introductions etc.

So the background:

I've posted a bunch on here about our rescue GSD Regen, who is now 19 months old, we adopted her 6 months ago. She is an amazing dog who came with many issues from her past life including reactivity to small children, other dogs, cats, but the worst issue has been her separation anxiety.

We have worked with a trainer and she is now on medication (clomicalm), and she has improved with 2.5 months on the drugs, but she still is only able to handle 2-3 hours alone without getting into a state of panic (which increases her reactivity). Our trainer and our vet, not to mention countless friends, have said that getting another dog may be the answer. Right now she spends the work days at another board member's house (life-saving board member!:wub:) and really seems to love playing with her GSD. She calms down and is less anxious when she's with another dog who is more confident and mellow.
We had been thinking from the beginning that we would love 2 GSDs, but we've been putting all of our money and time into this dog for now.

I guess I'm wondering if it's crazy to go see this pup, or to think about adopting another dog at this point, especially since both of us are at work for 4 days out of the week (I work 1 day from home) and that wouldn't give him much time to adjust.

Thoughts? Smacks in the head? Am I stressing out too much about this?

We knew a puppy was out of the question simply because of the time required in the first 4-5 months to be able to come home.

We are also looking into fostering for the Lab rescue, but what both of us would really want as a permanent addition is another GSD.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I say if your looking to get a GSD in the near future, and a situation has come about that one is available at a animal shelter especially a kill animal shelter. I would march down there right now and adopt him. Might even help your other pup out with the anxiety. =)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I work at a shelter, and most shelters have a "grace" period, where you can return the dog with a full refund if it doesnt work out. We also recommend that people who have another dog already bring them to the shelter to meet the new one on neutral ground. Hope this helps, and thanks for rescuing!

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I am against brining a new dog into the house until you're confident in the track that you're headed with the current dog.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I would take Regen with you ,,first YOU meet the dog, if you like him, introduce Regen to him and see how it goes.

I would be prepared tho, if you bring this boy home, to NOT leave the two of them together unsupervised,,could be a disaester in the making.

I think you have to think about will this work for you right now? I'm not going to talk you out of it, nor talk you into it..

I like the idea of a grace period to,,things to think about:)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We were going to the shelter anyway for Regen's agility class (they just opened a new facility), so the question is do we go visit him??
Everybody in our lives that hears about her separation anxiety tells us it will get better with another dog, if it did...well, we would have a lot of extra money to spend on doggie #2! :)

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
well heck if your going there anyway, why not look? :))

And you could very well be right, in that a second dog could definately help Regen chill out, providing he sends off good vibes, dogs pick up from other dogs especially in the same household..

Good luck

·
Registered
819 Posts
Take a look at him, with Regen, when you are there today.

I can tell you this: There have been a few times that Regen and Miikka are in the family room alone (I’m in the office). They do just fine…for 30 minutes, an hour, and hour-and-a- half, or whatever without ever coming to look for me. Now, maybe she knows I’m still in the house but maybe she’s just fine with having another dog close by.

If you do get the other guy, I think it would be wise to bring both of them over for a week or two...but I think very quickly they can be left home alone together.

Keep us posted!!!

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Can you foster this guy for now? Might give you time to see how he is and if he has any quirks, if Regen likes him, and what life will be like with two dogs. Sounds like your girl's issues are something your going to have to deal with permanently though they may get better with time she's always going to be Regen. A friend could help or worsen her issues but if you don't try you'll never know. I would go meet him and see if there is a bond, bring Regen and see how she reacts, and make your decision from there. The worse that can happen is there's no bond and you walk away:)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
If you do get the other guy, I think it would be wise to bring both of them over for a week or two...but I think very quickly they can be left home alone together.
Hee hee...I can only picture if we DO bring him home what your house would be like with 3 GSDs under the age of 2!! :wild:

The other family that watched Regen said the same, she was out playing with their male Borzoi for over an hour without looking for a human, and that was when she would start yelping as soon as we were out of her sight.

The big thing will be temperament. She doesn't need another dog with any hint of reactivity or anxiety!

Edit: @Zoey'smom: If the initial meet and greet goes well, we will ask if fostering is a possibility. That would be ideal, because I do believe t the right dog would be a godsend for Regen, but we wouldn't want to commit to two special needs dogs. Regen is a love and we wouldn't part with her for the world, but I don't know that we could manage the amount of training and socializing that would be needed if we adopted another dog with her, erm, personality profile.

Edit: his pics from petfinder:

·
Registered
819 Posts
Hee hee...I can only picture if we DO bring him home what your house would be like with 3 GSDs under the age of 2!! :wild: Oh, it would be soooooo fun!! :silly:

The other family that watched Regen said the same, she was out playing with their male Borzoi for over an hour without looking for a human, and that was when she would start yelping as soon as we were out of her sight.

The big thing will be temperament. She doesn't need another dog with any hint of reactivity or anxiety!
I agree!

·
Registered
819 Posts
Can you foster this guy for now? Might give you time to see how he is and if he has any quirks, if Regen likes him, and what life will be like with two dogs. Sounds like your girl's issues are something your going to have to deal with permanently though they may get better with time she's always going to be Regen. A friend could help or worsen her issues but if you don't try you'll never know. I would go meet him and see if there is a bond, bring Regen and see how she reacts, and make your decision from there. The worse that can happen is there's no bond and you walk away:)

Fostering would be a great idea, if it's possible!

·
Registered
819 Posts
Hee hee...I can only picture if we DO bring him home what your house would be like with 3 GSDs under the age of 2!! :wild:

Edit: @Zoey'smom: If the initial meet and greet goes well, we will ask if fostering is a possibility. That would be ideal, because I do believe t the right dog would be a godsend for Regen, but we wouldn't want to commit to two special needs dogs. Regen is a love and we wouldn't part with her for the world, but I don't know that we could manage the amount of training and socializing that would be needed if we adopted another dog with her, erm, personality profile.

Edit: his pics from petfinder:

Geesh, he's beautiful!!!!! WOW!

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I know what you mean,lol My little angel who turned 1 yesterday is great outside with people, new places, loud noises, and other dogs. Inside the home she tries to taunt and eat strangers and is my special little nightmare. It is getting better but still is an everyday effort when we have people over to constantly watch her like a hawk and crate her when she gets overly interested in eating them. I wouldn't trade her for ANYTHING in the world, but her inhouse manners need a lot of help. My area so far has not been fruitful in finding a trainer who works with GSD's. The one home visit we had from a behaviorist basically said she was a bite risk, dangerous, and not to be trusted. Obviously we never called them back since we already KNOW she is a bite risk when foreign people are in the home, but an absolute angel outside. We need someone who can give us specific methods for easing her distrust of new people in our home not some yahoo stating the obvious.

I hope this new guy is issue free other than lacking a little basic training and not reactive or anxious. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Inside the home she tries to taunt and eat strangers and is my special little nightmare.

I hope this new guy is issue free other than lacking a little basic training and not reactive or anxious. Good luck!!!
I love it..."my special little nightmare"! We found our amazing behaviorist/trainer through the Karen Pryor Academy website- she uses only positive methods and had a ton of experience with GSDs. She was wonderful as a trainer (helped us to trust that, eventually, Regen would be able to exist with our cats without eating them and possibly even toddlers, too!) and also as a therapist when we were having meltdowns. I would see if there is someone like that in your area...she was instrumental in helping us learn how to be good owners to the dog that we had, not the dog that wanted (you know, the calm, friendly-but-protective, perfectly behaved and willing to run in heel position beside me for 12 miles at a pop?).

I don't know what happened to his tail, but it made me sad. I'm nervous! We leave in 45 min...nervous for her first agility class AND for meeting him if he is still there.

My husband can't decide if this is a brilliant meant-to-be coincidence or a sudden fit of insanity.:eek:

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I can tell you about Sweep. She was the one was apparently abused and crawled to the car, she was so afraid. She is still timid, but being around Grendel and Lycan has done wonders for her. She follows them-NOT and alpha dog-and feels much more comfortable with them around. I think largely as a result of following their lead she is calmer, more relaxed and more trusting. I think she'd still be terribly afraid if she was the only dog.

Jelpy and mesquite mafia

·
Registered
819 Posts
I don't know what happened to his tail, but it made me sad. I'm nervous! We leave in 45 min...nervous for her first agility class AND for meeting him if he is still there. [/QUOTE]

If possible, PLEASE let me know how it went today, as soon as you get home!!! I can hardly wait to hear about this guy (and how todays class went)!

Also, who is your trainer?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.