German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
7,657 Posts
No problem with "tethering" but I would imagine that gets old after a bit??? If the Dog/Puppy is Crate trained you have a part of the answer. Add "Place" and "No" free roaming" in the house, indoors "Crate" or "Place" and use a "Drag Leash" indoors (Short leash) with no handle to get caught up on furniture.

Details are here:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/7837361-post12.html

As always ask questions and welcome aboard. :)

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Sorry to read about your trials and tribulations. Sounds like you hit on something with the potty spots (floor feeding). Good job!

Even though I've raised several pups, my current one gave me some challenges I had not been faced with before and I needed several "do overs" to get the house manners right. All the better when you hit on the right method at the right time:laugh2: - it's like bring out the marching band, let's have an awards ceremony!!! We did it!!!

I paper trained my pups (those blue puppy pads with newspaper underneath) in the laundry room and a mixture of water and vinegar in a spray bottle was absolutely the right tool for the job. It gets 97% of germs (Lysol gets 2% more - big whoop)... and it takes the odor away so there are no repeat accidents in wrong spots.

Just wanted to say - as with anything else you really want - you have to dig in and be stubborn and patient... more stubborn than what you are in opposition with - and when it clicks and works and you "win" it's an awesome feeling and your pup is pretty happy about it too. Just keep anger and frustration out of the equation - that stuff can shut down training and produce a communication barrier instead.

There's tons of great tips and ideas here - when I'm thinking outside of the box to try to solve a problem... I usually run it up the flagpole here to see if there's an angle I'm missing.... this has saved me having to do (several additional do over's) because sometimes you can "teach" undesirable behaviors without even realising it - these dogs are smart and sometimes that can work against you - the little stuff they pick up that you don't even realise you're doing.

I would suggest looking into instruction for "focus", it is vital for training.. short sessions with lots of positive reinforcement to start. They "work" for good things.:smile2: and eventually those become good every day habits.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I thought I'd address the digging you mentioned.

As you refill the hole, put some poop in the holes along with the dirt. I have yet to meet a dog that will dig in that same spot.

This method isn't going to train the dog not to dig but it will limit the damage.

Lynn & Traveler

·
Registered
36 Posts
To train a dogs to obey or to understand have a lot of strategies and techniques. As a owner we should learn all these techniques, so that our dogs can understand us. The important is you should let learn or know that you are the boss.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I have a similar issue with my new 8 1/2 month old crested pup. I take him out every 2 hours, using the command "hurry up outside" as I always have for all of our dogs. Lots of praise when he goes. No playing or walking around, always take him to the same spot. Yet I find areas in the house where he lifts his leg. I do not have access to enzyme cleaner, so I use dilute lysol cleaner. I have started wearing a belly band on him while inside. His poops are fairly reliable - every morning, and again midafternoon. It is the peeing I can't figure out. However, we do have a 16 year old dog who does pee in the house sometimes -she has significant dementia. I have been putting a female wrap on her. So I wonder if my youngster is peeing, or marking. I share your frustration!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts