German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
Zeus is going for his second set of shots this Saturday and we would like to start him on HW and flea control soon as we are in Florida and it can get out of control fast.

Our breeder used Sentinel and we all know that this is not available for a while as well as Interceptor.

What are some other options that people use and have success with? Our vet recommends Trifexis ad he said its the same as Sentinel+Comfortis. (but told us we can do our own research as well to see what we want to do and he will have his take on it) I know that Trifexis is new and some people are reporting issues. I think we might want to wait and see if anything comes of it first and rather try something that has been on the market for a while.

Any ideas or combos please?

Thanks so much!

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I just use ivomec for HW
Sorry, holistic on the fleas
You did not ask about ticks

·
Registered
32,417 Posts
Interceptor for Heartworm ( I should have enough to last this summer for Jax) but I'm going to test her for MRD1 gene and probably just switch to heartguard if possible.
Advantix for flea/tick.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Advantix plus Interceptor for my GSD (although we've been using Heartguard while Interceptor has been off the market).

Advantix has been completely useless on my mutt puppy and we battled fleas for the better part of last year. For him we just landed on a winning combo of Revolution and Comfortis (we switch off every 2 weeks). Both provide flea control but Revolution has the heartworm preventative as well. Revolution is topical and Comfortis is oral. I think his case is a little extreme, I haven't heard too much about many dogs having resistance to Advantix, I guess we just got lucky. Ha!

Drs. Foster and Smith has a really great checklist of which meds work together or could cause problems.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Had to switch to Heartguard last year, no complaints so far and I will be trying the new Seresto tick/flea collar this year.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
Heartgard for HW and Frontline for flea/tick. I hike a lot and have had many dead ticks fall off my boy...kind of nice. I'm thinking of switching to Vectra 3D as it also is supposed to repel mosquitoes which cause HW in the first place.

·
Registered
280 Posts
we have always used Trifexis for Jade and have had no problems. Just make sure you give it with a full meal to prevent an upset tummy.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
:confused:Why not holistic????:(

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
we have always used Trifexis for Jade and have had no problems. Just make sure you give it with a full meal to prevent an upset tummy.
This one we are just curious about because of all the dry skin reports. But since Zeus is growing I think we can get it 1 pill at a time from the vet based on weight and see how he reacts to it, we can switch if needed. Also it does not prevent ticks? hmm

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
Right now I am using revolution for HW and Parastar for fleas and ticks. Give them 2 weeks apart. I am using Revolution because I get it free from work. With my new pup, he will be on heartgard for HW and Parastar.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:confused:Why not holistic????:(
I will be honest, I don't feel comfortable experimenting =/ I rather use what thousands use and if something went wrong, the vet can diagnose and help. With holistic it can be great, but if something did go wrong, it is harder to diagnose and find an issue. I just don't want to fight over it =/ it's a personal choice and I don't do anything holistic for myself ether, I take and eat what I can afford and know there is much better out there, but have to do what I have to do. I don't think that I am an awful pet owner for using available/tested and researched products. But I do read all the literature out of curiosity and do appreciate everyone's take on things, just don't want to be scolded for doing something that is not really that abnormal. :)

I appreciate everyone posting here, thank you!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Vectra 3D
Protects against most bugs and parasites, allegedly against more than Frontline; so far I have only found my vet to distribute it.
No complaints. Only 1 tick found on my dog so far, and after some deep wood excursion.

And, Heartguard

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
If/when we can ever get Interceptor again I'll switch everyone back to it ... in the meantime I get:

Heartgard Plus for large dogs for Slider. I purchase it from Pets Megastore $77.73 for 12 "tablets".
Heartgard Plus : Pets Megastore discount medical supplies for pets

For the other guys I use Panoramis which is the Australian version of Trifexis (made by the same company using the same formula) ... I get it from Pets Megastore ...Panoramis for Extra Large Dogs (brown) is $81.78 for six tablets. You can usually find coupons for free shipping or wait for their special once a month free shipping offers.
Panoramis ( Trifexis ) : Pets Megastore discount medical supplies for pets

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If/when we can ever get Interceptor again I'll switch everyone back to it ... in the meantime I get:

Heartgard Plus for large dogs for Slider. I purchase it from Pets Megastore $77.73 for 12 "tablets".
Heartgard Plus : Pets Megastore discount medical supplies for pets

For the other guys I use Panoramis which is the Australian version of Trifexis (made by the same company using the same formula) ... I get it from Pets Megastore ...Panoramis for Extra Large Dogs (brown) is $81.78 for six tablets. You can usually find coupons for free shipping or wait for their special once a month free shipping offers.
Panoramis ( Trifexis ) : Pets Megastore discount medical supplies for pets
Thank you for the links!!!
What about flea/tick =) ?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is great, thank you everyone =) lots to talk about with the vet on Saturday.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I use heartguard for HW and Comfortis for fleas. I use it year round.
We have to use something year round so this is great. no skin problems or anything from Comfortis?

Everyone I know seams to like Sentinel and Interceptor and the vet is telling us that Trifexis is the same as Sentinel and Comfortis together. Yet so many are posting about skin issues. Hmm, I will have my husband research the chemicals in each to see if they are really the same or just "close".

·
Registered
803 Posts
This is the only thing we have tried for fleas so far. The only problem we have is the pill is nasty and she hates it. It is difficult for us to get down and the fact that the company quit making the large dog for a while and it is prescription, you can't get it at a store that i know of.
Our girl has bad allergies and if one gets on her, she will chew herself bald. But so far it keeps the fleas off. We have been using it for about 2 years.
I might try and switch to something that includes ticks because they have been wicked during the last few fall seasons.
I'm just skeptical to switch.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is the only thing we have tried for fleas so far. The only problem we have is the pill is nasty and she hates it. It is difficult for us to get down and the fact that the company quit making the large dog for a while and it is prescription, you can't get it at a store that i know of.
Our girl has bad allergies and if one gets on her, she will chew herself bald. But so far it keeps the fleas off. We have been using it for about 2 years.
I might try and switch to something that includes ticks because they have been wicked during the last few fall seasons.
I'm just skeptical to switch.
I saw it for all sizes here:
1800-PetMeds® - Huge Savings and The Best Guarantee

I have purchased prescription here before, just have to ask your vet to write it and give it to you or some websites will fax your vet themselves.

I see how many people are using heartgard plus, and it has been around on the market for years. Maybe that will be our med until interceptor or sentinel is back. Now need to figure out the flea/tick thing =)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts