German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lucy is starting a second antibiotic, after progressing past 2 topical creams for an initial skin infection, and I would sincerely appreciate your healing thoughts.

The first antibiotic, Simplicef, did not do a thing. Our vet has now given us Zeniquin, which has been successful in clearing up prior urinary tract infections.

There is great concern from the vet that she did respond to Simplicef. While it could be a growing resistance to antibiotics, I am optimistic that we just needed to make the switch to Zeniquin
to treat this particular infection.

The next step would be anal gland removal surgery, which we obviously want to avoid.

Thank you for reading this my fellow members.

Hope your pups are doing well!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Hope Lucy feels better soon. I had a beagle that suffered from repeated anal gland infections and I ultimately chose to have them removed- it was very successful!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Poor baby - I have a dog (Betsy) that also gets Anal Gland infections - her glands get all clogged and the goo inside gets super thick so she can't express it herself. In the past my vet gave us Clavamox for this issue and some ointment - Now we take her to the vet every 3-4 months for the doc to express her anal glands - this has helped as well as adding pumpkin (loaded with fiber) to her food.

·
Registered
493 Posts
If it's possible to do a culture so that you can find out what antibiotic that infection would be sensitive too, I would do that before going the surgery route.

I hope Miss Lucy is feeling better soon!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Healing thoughts for Lucy. Hope she gets well soon.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you so much for the responses, thoughts, and well wishes! We both appreciate it!

LisaT, the gland is infected internally. Originally, this situation began as a rod bacterial infection around her anus and the base of her tail. A second topical showed improvement in the area, but the infection had by then spread into one of her anal glands leading to the first round with Simplicef.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Often when there is an external infection and problem around the anal area, that can be the beginnings of a fistula, and many vets miss this, I was just checking. I know on the fistula list, simplicef is never used for the anal glands, typically it's cipro or clavamox.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I took Lucy for her recheck today, and the infection is completely cleared!

The Zeniquin worked!

Thank you all again for the support, I really appreciate it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts