German Shepherds Forum banner

Please send healing, positive thoughts our way.

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  robinhuerta 
#1 ·
Took Puppy to the e-vet just now because she had been walking around licking the floor and trying to throw up for the past hour. I suspected bloat though tummy and gums were both normal.

We just switched to a new food 2 days ago. I started mixing some Arcana with her Orijen to keep it interesting for her.

We went, inconclusive results from 2 xrays. They sedated her for the xrays. Said they could either admit her or I could bring her back in 2 hours. 2 views of an xray, sedation and initial exam rang in at $400 with no diagnosis.

Vet says there's alot of food in her tummy, she could have overgorged. I told him, she ate 3 cups and other than her time in the yard today for a few minutes, which she gets every day to quickly potty, she went straight from crate to under my supervision.

I asked does he have reason for concern, he said over the last x many years of being a vet he's seen so many cases. From nothing to in surgery at 10. I know there are many situations/problems/diseases that she could have, which is why I brought her to the vet instead of google-nursing her back to health. :mad::mad::(:(

She was perky and happy to see everyone before being sedated.

No torsion, no gas, stomach not extended.

What could it be.

Please send healing thoughts my way, and also some things I could perhaps read up on. My mind is a fuzzy mess. I'm so scared.

I'm also thinking of waiting till day break and taking her to regular vet. I don't have alot of trust in this e-vet.

What should I do.

See less See more
#3 ·
I brought her home since she seemed more anxious to be left there. There was a small dog who whimpered very sadly in the room that she would've been kept at. I didn't feel good listening to that dog, and I didn't want her to be more anxious. The e-vet is a 10 minute walk 1 minute drive away, so I took her home.

On our way to the vet, she tried to eat grass and she burped. On our way back from the vet, she pooped a little (not formed) and passed quite a bit of gas. At least most things seem to be working.

She's home now, and sleeping fine.

I'm up staring at her, to make sure she'll be fine throughout the night.

Will keep you guys posted. Hopefully it's just alot of new food.

Thanks for posting the message. The moral support means alot to my fried and frazzled heart and brain.

#6 ·
I hope she feels better soon, sending positive prayers :)

#7 ·
I hope everything is fine now.
Always good to have gasX strips on hand to give if you think your dog has upset gut.

#10 ·
Everything was fine this morning. I opted not to go in for the x-ray with the e-vet again. They sedate her for the x-ray, and she drools alot after sedation. I don't want to subject her to that especially since the point of the xray is to see food move through her intestines.

I did not feel like I was getting enough information to make informed decisions about Puppy's care. I will wait to see if she poops when she is scheduled to "go" today. I am not worried about blockage, since she is under constant supervision. So long as food moves out today, I can take her to my regular vet to see if anything else is the matter.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts. Hopefully they're working.

#11 ·
Glad she's okay.
We had the exact same thing happen. It looks really scary. Drooling, licking the floor, looking panicked, restlessness.
He went outside and ate a lot of grass, but did not vomit the grass.
I called the breeder and she said he had an upset stomach.The next day, he was fine and pooped all the grass.
But it sure looked awful.

#13 ·
glad she seems to be doing better. will continue sending good vibes though.

#16 ·
I didn't think it was bloat either...but I do think she might have been constipated.
The new food may have expanded and not digested fast enough along with what she was used to eating.....that will cause gas and indigestion
Indigestion will make them want to vomit, burp and "pass stinky gas"...if it continues, I wouldn't switch her to the new food..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.