German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please move this if this isn't in the right place.

Sigurd is in the ER Vet over night tonight.

He was attacked, for no reason that I can come up with, by a neighbourhood dog. The dog literally WOULD not let go of his neck. Me and my (other) neighbour tried our best to get the dog off of him. Finally he let go after a kick to the neck. Sigurd is so care free and such a nice dog, he didn't want to fight. He couldn't fight back even if he wanted to.

After the dog stopped, the owner said "At least he was on a leash." and that was it. No sorry, no nothing. She left the scene.

Meanwhile, Sigurd is literally squirting blood from his neck. It won't stop. My neighbour took off her coat and we held it tightly to his neck while my other neighbour ran to my house and got my boyfriend. By the time we went off to the ER, this coat is soaked through - the blood isn't clotting. In the car he starts to get weak and fall in and out of sleep, I'm covered in blood, he is, and the car is.

We get there and they go into emergency surgery. The out come? The dog had punctured an artery (thank god not a major one), tore his tissues, possible nerve damage, and got another large (quarter) size chunk right through his mouth. He is slightly anemic, and will possibly need a blood transfusion if his vitals don't look better during the night.

He's on IV and is conked out. I will hear more in the morning, but the Vet said he should bounce back, but it will be a long recovery. He may have a droopy face from possible nerve damage.

The owner of the dog? Hasn't called to say sorry, talked to another neighbour and it seems like she could care less. She said "I will not pay more than half the bill!". The bill is $1,000 right now and may go up depending on care through the night.

What the heck do I do? We're going to file a police report (Vet said we should). We want her to pay ALL, it's only fair. Her dog has bitten other people and dogs in the past. She needs to wake up, this isn't fair.

What can I do to give Sigurd justice??? He didn't do anything wrong, at all.

Now I sit here waiting all night... he's my baby. :(:cry:

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
This is just awful. I am so sorry. I don't even know where to put this thread or if I even need to move it - so upsetting to read this and think of what transpired - terrifying. Good thoughts to you and Sigurd.

I also think following up with the police report is a good idea, and hope that the owner of the other dog has a moment of clarity and understanding of just what they are doing to others.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Oh no, how horrible! Thankfully he'll be ok. I'd definitely call the police right away, plus animal control, the local news and get this owner and her vicious dog plastered all over the place. Then I'd call an attorney and file every charge they can think of- physical injuries, mental anguish, etc. You have to get this woman's attention!! Good thing you had a witness and someone to help you. So sorry for you and Sigurd

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Prayers for Sigurd's recovery and that everything will be ok.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Geez. People are so stupid. First glad to hear he is going to pull through. Definitely file a police report. If she refuses to pay file a civil suit. You have witnesses and will have the police report. I would think you wouldn't have any problems recovering your money via that route if it comes to it. I would also take pictures of your blood soaked coat and of Sigurd in case you have to go to court. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I saw this on your facebook and was hoping it was a sore paw or something... OMG....poor Sigurd!!!

I will definitely keep him in my thoughts!!!

She should definitely pay it ALL. Call the police, call the local humane society (by-law) and file a report. Let her know you are serious and I would also tell her that you will bring her to court for costs of the vet and fees for the trial (if that's the case) if she doesn't pay. Also get written statements from all who saw what happened and who was there and helped you. Take photos of EVERYTHIGN, the car, the jacket, Sigurd's injuries, etc.. Document, document, document.

I hope all is okay... keeping our fingers and paws crossed for him.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I'd make her pay. Thoughts to you guys...

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I am so sorry that happened to your dog!! I hope he will be ok. I would file a police report and see if there are any reports as evidence of the previous attacks as you mentioned. Do you have animal control where you live? If this dog has attacked people and other dogs someone needs to report that. The owner should be liable for the full damages and you have witnesses that the other dog attacked without any provoking so that is good for your side. Good Luck to you and a full recovery for Sigurd.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
You need to file a police report. This isn't a criminal matter, but the report is documentation and depending on animal control in your area they may be able to get involved. Doesn't matter how many times this has happened in the past - if no one reported it it's irrelevant in the court of law.

You need witnesses at your house when you file it. Depending on the dept they may or may not be able to just take their name and contact info if they aren't present (and actually include it in the report).

Keep copies of ALL contact. Keep documentation of all verbal contact. Who said what and when. Dates, times, everything.

Talk to a lawyer. You will likely need to file a civil suit.

The other dog was on a leash? Was yours? What happened?

·
Registered
27,270 Posts
I agree with the others, document everything and file a report.
I will keep Sigurd in my prayers.
He is a strong dog, and you got him care as soon as possible, so he has that going for him. I hope the other owner will "own" up to this and it won't have to go thru legalities.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
sorry this happened to your dog. i hope everything
turns out ok for your dog and you.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Oh no, how horrible! Thankfully he'll be ok. I'd definitely call the police right away, plus animal control, the local news and get this owner and her vicious dog plastered all over the place. Then I'd call an attorney and file every charge they can think of- physical injuries, mental anguish, etc. You have to get this woman's attention!! Good thing you had a witness and someone to help you. So sorry for you and Sigurd
Geez. People are so stupid. First glad to hear he is going to pull through. Definitely file a police report. If she refuses to pay file a civil suit. You have witnesses and will have the police report. I would think you wouldn't have any problems recovering your money via that route if it comes to it. I would also take pictures of your blood soaked coat and of Sigurd in case you have to go to court. Keep us posted.
I saw this on your facebook and was hoping it was a sore paw or something... OMG....poor Sigurd!!!

I will definitely keep him in my thoughts!!!

She should definitely pay it ALL. Call the police, call the local humane society (by-law) and file a report. Let her know you are serious and I would also tell her that you will bring her to court for costs of the vet and fees for the trial (if that's the case) if she doesn't pay. Also get written statements from all who saw what happened and who was there and helped you. Take photos of EVERYTHIGN, the car, the jacket, Sigurd's injuries, etc.. Document, document, document.

I hope all is okay... keeping our fingers and paws crossed for him.
You need to file a police report. This isn't a criminal matter, but the report is documentation and depending on animal control in your area they may be able to get involved. Doesn't matter how many times this has happened in the past - if no one reported it it's irrelevant in the court of law.

You need witnesses at your house when you file it. Depending on the dept they may or may not be able to just take their name and contact info if they aren't present (and actually include it in the report).

Keep copies of ALL contact. Keep documentation of all verbal contact. Who said what and when. Dates, times, everything.

Talk to a lawyer. You will likely need to file a civil suit.

The other dog was on a leash? Was yours? What happened?

all excellent advice. DOCUMENT EVERYTHING. file a suit against her for damages and mental anguish. witness statements and everything. Praying for a speedy recovery. keep us posted!

·
Registered
27,270 Posts
This is a neighbor, a suit for mental anguish is a bit extreme...She should pay for the damaged car interior and coat, etc. but to be sue happy is not good for anything and it will just cause more mental anguish in the future if Sigurds mom continues to live in the neighborhood.

·
Registered
31,994 Posts
You need to take pictures, file a police report. There is a dangerous dog law in MI. An old high school friend had her dog attacked in their yard. The police and AC wouldn't do anythign so they took the pictures and vet report to the district attorney who promptly took it to a judge. They won the suit, won a judgment for damages and the people had 30 days to remove the dog to a home in the country or have it euthanized.

The law in Michigan is ON YOUR SIDE! Use it so this dog doesn't attack another. Especially since it has a history of attacking other animals and people.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
So sorry to hear of this, but sounds like he will make a fast recovery and be up and going in no time.

I'd file a report and document everything, give her chance to do the right thing but be ready in the event she doesn't.

Sending good vibes.............

·
Registered
428 Posts
Oh my, that is so horrible. I'm so sorry for Sigurd and will say a prayer that he heals thoroughly soon. I would definitely file a police report. If I were that owner, I would be horrified that my dog did that and I would be doing everything I could to make it "right".

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you all for your support and kind words. We will definitely be calling animal control in the morning, contacting her and see if she will own up, and going through with a police report. I have no idea if the prior issues have been reported or not, I will ask around and see.

I looked up the Dangerous dog law here in MI, and it seems like it's only valid if it's on your own property? Can anyone clear that up? I'm all over the place so I might not be reading this right.

For the question about leashes -- Sigurd was off his at the time (so were the other neighbours 2 dogs). The dog that attacked Sigurd had JUST been leashed, about 1 minute prior to this incident, Sigurd wasn't very close to the dog, so the dog literally lunged and pulled his owner over to Sigurd. I don't know if this will mess my case up since he was unleashed, but he WAS under my control (in a perfect sit/stay beside me). The property is also private property owned by a company in my town, it wasn't on the street or anything so I'm not sure how that works.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
Agreed! Get as much into the record as you can. Also write down your impressions of what transpired in the event as much as you can, i.e. how it started, what did your dog, and the other dog and you and the other owner did and said as best as you can remember.

·
Registered
31,994 Posts
Did you have permission to be on this property?

Michigan Dangerous Dog & Dog Bite Law

This Michigan statute defines "dangerous animal," which means a dog or other animal that bites or attacks a person, or a dog that bites or attacks and causes serious injury or death to another dog while the other dog is on the property or under the control of its owner.
Michigan Dog Bite Law

Under Michigan's dog bite statute, if a dog bites a person, without provocation while the person is on public property, or lawfully on private property, including the property of the owner of the dog, the owner of the dog shall be liable for any damages suffered by the person bitten, regardless of the former viciousness of the dog or the owner's knowledge of such viciousness. Under the statute a person is lawfully on the private property of the owner of the dog if the person is on the owner's property in the performance of any duty imposed upon him or her by state law or U.S. postal regulation, or if the person is on the owner's property as an invited guest, customer or client of the person lawfully in possession of the property. However, damages are not available to a person who gains lawful entry upon the premises for the purpose of committing an unlawful or criminal act.

1 - 20 of 236 Posts