German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I am new here and this is my first post, sadly its not a good one. This morning I woke up to my love Eli vomiting in his crate, and 2 more times when I took him out side. He also had diarrhea. We went back to bed and got up shortly after with more vomiting and diarrhea, this time there was blood in the stools. I dont know what he could have gotten into but please send good vibes. Off to the vet we go!

:(

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Sending prayer's and good thoughts to you and Eli!

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Poor Eli! You and Eli are in my prayers.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Sending prayers, but yes it does sound like parvo. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you SO much everyone for the thoughts. I really appreciate it. We tested for everything before exploring an obstruction. He was a slight positive for Giardia. I am a bit relieved just to know what it is. He is always supervised but I guess things just happen! Of course they offered prescription diet but I opted to do chicken and rice. The vet mentioned that white rice binds the stools a little better, but I feel like brown is more natural. Any advice? Possibly doing a little of both?

Also any feed back on how to sanitize the grass after I pick up the feces? Just spray it down? I have another older dog and want to make sure I cover all my bases.

Thanks so much for your feedback guys :)

·
Registered
420 Posts
No advice, just glad to hear it's something other than parvo. Hope Eli is feeling better soon.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Thank you SO much everyone for the thoughts. I really appreciate it. We tested for everything before exploring an obstruction. He was a slight positive for Giardia. I am a bit relieved just to know what it is. He is always supervised but I guess things just happen! Of course they offered prescription diet but I opted to do chicken and rice. The vet mentioned that white rice binds the stools a little better, but I feel like brown is more natural. Any advice? Possibly doing a little of both?

Also any feed back on how to sanitize the grass after I pick up the feces? Just spray it down? I have another older dog and want to make sure I cover all my bases.

Thanks so much for your feedback guys :)
The Panacur is half price at Tractor Supply. Safe-guard goat de-wormer.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Phew...what a relief it isn't parvo! I would use brown rice, it has more fiber and some minerals. Stosh preferred ground beef instead of chicken. He had giardia when he was that age too

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
That is great news that it is not parvo. Sending get well wishes to Eli and a speedy recovery too!

·
Registered
31,978 Posts
I was always advised to spray with bleach water after cleaning up their feces. Brown rice is better nutritionally. I would go with that.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Bleach and water in a spray bottle. My vet says 30:1 will do it but I've read 15:1 elsewhere. Glad is wasn't anything more serious.

·
Registered
101 Posts
When my dog had parvo a couple of months ago, my vet told me to use a solution of 10:1 water:bleach wherever he pee'd or poo'd.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Thank goodness it was not parvo. Sending get well soon wishes.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I hope your little one feels better soon!

I would opt for brown rice as well. Good for you for making an informed decision as well - going with a homemade/nutrious choices besides the crap the vets seem so deteremed to sell.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts