German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In January, we had to put down our Rotty due to cancer. She was part of "Sadie's pack", my German Shepherd. Sadie seemed fine for a while, though she had adopted me as her "special person" instead of anyone else in the house. That was four months ago...now Sadie seems to be showing signs of stress...she is 10 years old and all of a sudden she is "marking" my side of the bed, is hysterical when I leave the house without her, even when the other family members are home, is never farther than a few feet away from me at all times, when we are in the house, and always keeps her eye on me. She even tosses her beds around the room and balls up the bathroom carpet when she is left alone, even for a couple of hours...and it seems to be getting worse. I have been spending more time with her, and taking her with me as much as I can, along with taking her for daily walks, just the two of us. She has never been an only dog before, and I know that this is new to her, but I would like to make her feel safe and secure, to ease her stress! But I am at a loss as how to go about it. She just visited the vet, so she has a clean bill of health. Is it possible to start mourning the loss of a pack member four months after the fact? Any ideas as to how to handle this would be appreciated!

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Yes-definitely possible, or that realization that her friend is not coming home is freaking her out. I am sorry about your Rottie. It sounds like she was kind of a security blanket for Sadie.

There are probably a few things you could try.

-There are things called Anxiety Wraps.
-There is Tellington Touch.
-There is acupuncture.
-Another solid older dog that you can either get from rescue (if you are ready to add another dog) or just a friend with a dog that she likes you all can spend time with.
-More exercise (not so much as to overtire her at 10 yo).
-Taking her to a fun obedience class to help her look to you in a leadership way and not just as a eeeek where is she! way.
-If she's used to a crate that might make her feel secure.
-Something called Rescue Remedy (that I have used and have never seen any great results from-but have used it).
-DAP plug in.
-NILIF
-Yahoo Shy k9 group
-Anti-anxiety medication (low dose)

Those are just some of my ideas off the top of my head. I would have googled and given you links, but my computer needs to be used in short spurts, so I don't have the time to!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the ideas. We are in the process of getting puppies, just waiting for the mother to give birth, so hopefully that will help. Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts