German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody seen this on a German Shepherd? He also has dry skin mostly around the rear and back and I started giving him fish oil now mixed with his food or coconut oil. He eats nutro kibbles but haven’t been able to get any help even after bunch of tests over and over again

·
Registered
4 Posts
May be changing the diet can help. I am assuming that those tests have ruled out any infections, other wise antibiotics may help. May be the HexaChlor-K spray will help. I have used that for my dogs skin related problems. Have worked so far. It is prescription only.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
What tests have you had done? Fish and coconut oil will help dandruff or flaky skin issues (and helps too with overall health), but seriously, after looking at the photos it looks like some kind of fungus or bacterial issue that a skin scrape at the vet could diagnose.

That being said, I had a rash and went to a dermatologist for over a year. He did multiple biopsies, gave me multiple ointments to "try", etc. And in the end, he said he'd never seen anything like that in 30 yrs of practice, and he referred me to a University Hospital, a couple hours away from me, for more "diagnosis".

I opted to not do that...and the **** rash went away on its own in a couple months...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What tests have you had done? Fish and coconut oil will help dandruff or flaky skin issues (and helps too with overall health), but seriously, after looking at the photos it looks like some kind of fungus or bacterial issue that a skin scrape at the vet could diagnose.

That being said, I had a rash and went to a dermatologist for over a year. He did multiple biopsies, gave me multiple ointments to "try", etc. And in the end, he said he'd never seen anything like that in 30 yrs of practice, and he referred me to a University Hospital, a couple hours away from me, for more "diagnosis".

I opted to not do that...and the **** rash went away on its own in a couple months...
This has benn going on and off for couple months he’s been having skin issues that’s why I feel like every vet I go to are doing the same thing but I’m not seeing any results besides hundreds of dollars spent every time.
I’m hoping these oils will help and I’m also bathing him with oatmeal shampoo I feel like it soothes his skin which is why I’m leaning towards helping him naturally rather than more BS antibiotics and pills
Thank u for the reply

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
You can try Dermoscent Essential Oils. Mine get them and it seems to help.

·
Premium Member
4,631 Posts
I would change his food to The Honest Kitchen.

This is 100% Human Grade Ingredients, and has helped MANY dogs with tummy or skin problems. This is the only dog/cat food that I have seen that the FDA allows to use the words "Human Ingredients" on their advertising and packaging.

This is dehydrated food and more expensive than kibble so don't be shocked at the price of a box.
A 10 lb. box rehydrates to about 40 lbs. of food, but, you feed more of this than you do kibble because it is "real" food.....not extruded kibble.

I'd begin with one of their limited ingredients products called BRAVE which is fish based: Dehydrated - Limited Ingredient Fish Recipe (Brave)

Keep the dog on this for 8-10 weeks to see improvement. Well worth the price for that period of time!

Also only feed treats that match the protein (fish in this case). Cuddles® - Fish Bite Sized Cookie or these: Northwest Naturals Freeze Dried Raw Diet Dog Food

Do NOT feed him anything else. This will be an "elimination diet".
After the trial period, you can try another flavor or slowly begin to change to a limited kibble diet.

Another thing to consider:
IF a dog is sensitive to the grains in their diet, they could be sensitive to "Oatmeal" shampoo.
Choose a Non-GLUTEN BASED shampoo.
The following are names of gluten based ingredients that we do not recognize, that may be in the shampoo.

WHEAT: hydrolyzed wheat protein or triticum vulgare (wheat) or stearyldimoniumhydroxypropyl (hydrolyzed wheat protein) or hydroxypropyltrimonium (hydrolyzed wheat protein).

OATMEAL: or avena sativa

BARLEY: hordeum vulgare or maltodextrin (can also be from barley)

RYE: secale cereale
Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein can be derived from: Soy, Corn, or Wheat

Sodium cocoyl glutamate is a mild vegetable-based surfactant (foaming ingredient) derived from from coconut or palm kernel oil and glucose from corn.

The following are mild, herbal, Shampoo’s without gluetins.

MOOSH:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HNFJUDW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4-LEGGER
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B011ESJXRW/ref=sxr_pa_click_within_right_aps_sr_pg1_2?psc=1

IF he does not have opened sores consider rinsing with a natural 50/50 Organic Apple Cider Vinegar/Purified Water rinse:
You can purchase Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar from a health food store and some grocery stores. This can help with itching and other skin problems.
Raw Organic Apple Cider Vinegar has anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. You will know it is organic because you will see “The Mother” (which contains the medicinal properties) floating around in the bottle. Make a 50/50 mix of the the Organic ACV with purified water (not city tap water) and after a bath with a mild herbal shampoo, rub the Organic ACV mix down into the skin/coat, working in small areas, until the whole dog is covered including legs and belly. Always be careful of eyes (vinegar stings). Let dog drip dry, do not rinse off. Do not get into eyes or open sores.

You can put the mix in a spray bottle and spray on their coats and specific itchy spots (if skin is not opened) a few times per day till you see improvement. You can also use this mix to wipe out ears.

Best of luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts