German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My beloved shepherd Ooma is only 11 months old... And I have noticed a big fatty lump with approx. A 2-inch diameter. I will check this out immediately at the vet but I'm hoping to receive some information and advice on these fatty lumps. Has anyone had a similar experience? I'm worried sick about her well being. And the worst part is is I'm a student and can't afford to pay for cancer treatment. My god.

·
Registered
8,277 Posts
Please try not to worry. It could be any number of things. Many of them completely harmless. Get her to the vet if you are concerned and have it looked at.
Where is it located? Is it hard or soft? Can you move it around? These are all potential indicators of what it might be but really the only way to know is to see a vet.

·
Super Moderator
5,366 Posts
Yes, try to relax. My big-boy had a lump on his back leg so I understand the concern. The dog removed the lump and had it tested and it was safe. The hardest part was making sure he didn't pull the stitches out by being to active while he healed afterwards.

Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will do guys thanks! Also it is moveable as if it's some kind of oval bubble with air and puss inside. I have also been using a generous amount of cheddar for training treats as these drive her to obey every command could my choice of treats be the cause of this?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Will do guys thanks! Also it is moveable as if it's some kind of oval bubble with air and puss inside. I have also been using a generous amount of cheddar for training treats as these drive her to obey every command could my choice of treats be the cause of this?
Actual fatty foods don't cause it. Fatty lumps/cysts are a genetic anomaly in dogs that happen from time to time. Worry not. It sounds like a cyst. If it's squishy and moves, it's probably just a cyst. Tumors are hard like marbles.

Jack had one form around that age, and it grew to about the size of a grape before we had it removed. Vet took a biopsy when we first noticed it and it was merely a cyst. Cysts don't cause problems if left alone, but this one got big enough that it was getting irritated by bushes. So off it went.

Cost us $500 to remove it and a couple of weeks recovery.

If it's as big as you say it is and it's sticking out of the fur, I'd probably get it removed for the same reasons we had to remove the one on Jack. Not good for it to get irritated and infected.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I found a lump on my dog last year. I had it aspirated. It turned out to be harmless, a result of him accidentally bashing himself into the corner of a wooden bench when he was playing hard.

·
Registered
104 Posts
This sounds optimistic. Have your vet check it, and record the size and location.

Be sure to recheck it every year or two as part of annual exams at least for a few years just to be sure you got an accurate sample the first time. Then generally, I don’t worry too much until my dog gets older (about 7 yrs old).

If it grows and/or seems to be a problem, you can have it removed. Your vet will advise you.

This is probably a really good time to look into veterinary health insurance. As you just learned, big expensive vet bills can happen any time. That cyst (assuming it’s a cyst) will be excluded from coverage, but you’re getting a policy early to cover most other stuff.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My Riley has a lump on his leg. It has grown over the years but it is not uncomfortable for him. Doc says let it alone unless it hinders his quality of life. Go see your vet. They will put you at ease or tell you the bad news. You still need to go and find out what it is. Riley is 6 and still lumpy. Praying for just a lumpy lump.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts