German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at my wits end with Suki, shes 4 months old and tears my arms and feet to shreds. She doesnt do this with my dad and will not listen to commands ect. She does it at random times too, on walks when were in the sitting room, shes even snuck up behind me and bitten my arm when in the garden. It seems like she gets into a frenzy and needs to bite me. She growls and bares teeth when she does it and this is a new development. Shes also gotten very aggressive on the lead out on walks. She never used to do this but barks at all the dogs we meet. Shes been well introduced to society and we play on the beach every day. I dont think I can live with her if she keeps this up. She doesnt bite my dad who's the one whi bought her. Please help I really have no idea anymore.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Think about this, with a lot of dogs emotion feeds emotion. Don't take what she does personally. Don't get mad, don't get overly excited either way, good or bad. Calm, consistent, firm in a relaxed way. If you're still walking her on a harness, switch to a collar. Not to do anything drastically different, but there's a certain amount of control with a collar you won't get with a harness. There's a lot of times we create things we don't mean to. Back up a little and start over with your training. Its rare that you don't get a few do overs with puppies.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi My Friend,

Dogs are wiser than us. It will be able to analyse our internal emotions and heart beat etc. If you are dominant. Puppy will treat you as Master. if not the other way around. Play with our lovely puppy and make sure you win at the end. try to reduce his over confidence then it will become calmer. Some puppies will become aggressive when it felt unsafe.
Sorry I i said anything wrong :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your suggestions. Suki is brilliant 95% of the time but she goes after my feet and arms and will not stop. I've tried calmly saying no, taking her into another room for time out, using a water squirted to distract her. Nothing seems to be getting through but these manic attacks whilst out on walks have only just started occurring and I'm not sure what to do. Were afraid she might hurt someone.

·
Registered
10,070 Posts
How much play and exercise is this pup getting?
A tired puppy is a good puppy.
The “attacks” are an invitation to play. This is how they invite their littermates.
Get a tug, look online to see how to engage with her using it, let her win. Two-ball is another great game. Throw one, have her bring it to you, and when she does, throw the second.
GSDs are intelligent dogs that need engagement and mental stimulation. To expect her, at 4 months of age, to sit nicely while you are working in the garden, is unrealistic. She needs an outlet for her energy. She will sit nicely eventually, but that comes much later, when she is older.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Is this your first GSD puppy? I'm just wondering if you've read the many posts/threads in these forums about GSD puppies constantly biting. You can also find the topic under "landshark." It's quite common. As an example, last year when mine was that small, I went through 3 large boxes of bandages and 2.5 tubes of Neosporin.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guys!! Great progress, Suki bit me again today but she didnt break the skin or leave a mark. She seems to have learnt that biting hard = no playing. Hopefully this will progress to her eventually not biting at all. Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
587 Posts
+1 to Steve’s advice. I’ll just add they are land sharks and it does stop. My guy has certain times of the day when he is a little monster. I do what Steve said, be calm, walk away, turn your back and ignore. Of course include no’s. This works a lot better than being physical and angry. Of course he does get me good every and then and I have to control myself.

They do feed off your energy and when they think they can get away with more they will. My little devil definitely pushes my girlfriends buttons more than mine because her disposition just isn’t as strong as mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 10 of 10 Posts