German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I need some advice.

After loosing my daughter (also gsd) do to old age. I was really lonely so I decided to get another GSD even though I still really miss my old baby. I ended up adopting a really fun dog online. However there is a few issues.

First I would like to point out that she is about 5 years old.

The first issues really worries me(issue 1).. She will not come to me. In fact she went into her bed the other day and I called her and she didn't come to me. Since I read many places that if she doesn't come pull her. I tried. I went up to her very nicely and pulled her collar. She showed her teeth at me(issue 2). I thought I was seeing things so I tried again. Then she growled and showed her teeth. Really scared me. So now I'm honestly scared to do anything like that again or any commands. Its really end scared. She is a big dog and I don't want to be bitten. I was in shock because the rest of the time she is really friendly.

She is also really hyper. She went on a 3 hour walk (some running) and a 30 minute car ride today and she is still running around and still won't listen to me. Even if I have food or her toys. I'm afraid that my place (don't have a yard) may be to small for her. I thought finding her another home and getting my self a much more calmer dog like my last one. But the problem is I never done that before and I really care for her.

Any advice would help. And please don't judge.

Thank you very much and sorry for my English.

Eswar

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
How long have you had this dog?!

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Where did you get her? My first contact would be with the person or organization you got her from. Will they taker her back?

If returning her is an issue, can you work with a trainer? Maybe that would help you set and reach some behavioral goals with this dog? To be honest, if you are afraid of her, I don't see you having good results if you work on your own. Finding a good trainer who is also a behaviorist is a must if you keep her.

Some dogs have a lot of energy and stamina. My own dog could herd sheep and work until he was ready to fall over. It was a 45 minute car ride home from our trainer's house, and he was up and ready for more by the time we got home.
Sheilah

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
It is understandable why the dog's growling made you afraid, but when you grabbed the dog's collar I think the dog became frightened and was afraid that you were going to hurt her, because that is what some people do when the dog will not come - they go up to the dog - grab the dog roughly and hurt its neck and that is why she growled. Also the running around - again is nervous behavior. The dog is 5 years old and adjusting to a new home. She is anxious and afraid. As Sheilah suggested, I do agree you should work with a trainer. Many months back there was a post like yours where someone got a dog from craiglists on the internet and the dog right away came and attacked him. He worked with a trainer and the dog turned out to be a fine pet after all. What I also suggest is that you work now on calming the dog down. I would keep her on a leash (make sure the collar is not tight fitting and keep the leash loose - do not hold it tight) and attach it to my belt or hold it and the dog would follow me around the house - I would sit (it helps to sit on the leash but give the dog enough room) and the dog will start to relax and take a nap- I would give her small treats whenever she came to me. I would not grab her but approach her from the side and pet her. I would not stare at her - but just smile at her and say her name in a happy voice - then look away. I would also yawn which is a calming signal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts