German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 15 week old GSD mix. We rescued him from a shelter when he was 9 weeks old. Things have been going pretty smoothly. He learns commands quickly and he's just an overall great dog.

I thought potty training was going well. I was very diligent with him starting the moment I brought him home. He had some accidents initially, but he learned quickly where he was supposed to go to the bathroom and we started going days at a time when there wouldn't be any accidents.

The past couple weeks it seems like he pees or poops every time I leave him uncrated no matter how short of a time it is or when the last time he went to the bathroom was. He is currently confined to the kitchen by baby gates and has his larger crate inside that. Over night he sleeps in the crate and I sleep upstairs. He goes from 11pm to 6:30am before he cries to go out to the bathroom. When I leave the house he can hold it for at least 4 hours (I haven't tried any longer). If I'm in the kitchen with him he will stand by the door or scratch at it to go out potty. However, I cannot trust him for any length of time when I leave the room unless he's in his crate.

It's very frustrating because I leave the room for 15 minutes and I come back and he's peed both in his crate (which was open) and on the kitchen floor.

I'm fed up because I'm beginning to think it's deliberate. I don't think he has separation anxiety since he sleeps so well alone at night, and is great when I leave the house (he's quiet in his crate when I go and quiet when I come home). I'm at the end of my rope because I feel at 15 weeks I should be able to leave the room for 15 minutes without him peeing.

Does anyone have any ideas for cause and solution? I was more strict with him today but I went out of the room to print a paper and he peed.

Additionally, does anyone know how many times a day a 15 week old puppy should pee? I feel like he goes out at least once an hour. I'm pretty sure this is normal, but I just want to be sure. He was given a clean bill of health on his last puppy visit and is up to date on all shots.

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
The only thing I can suggest is not leave him unsupervised. Put a leash on him and take him wherever you go throughout the house. Learn the cues and be ready to calmly but quickly get him outside and have a party each time he goes where he's supposed to. Be consistent and he will get it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just recently our pup for the most part went to the potty around the same place or area. Now she wants to go on the driveway. She did that tonight. Long after I cleaned up her messes on the lawn. We have have another dog that lives downstairs from us that does the something. Does anyone think she (ours) is going potty at the same places that the dog downstairs goes because she smells the other dogs mess? And how do I correct this?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
424 Posts
Just recently our pup for the most part went to the potty around the same place or area. Now she wants to go on the driveway. She did that tonight. Long after I cleaned up her messes on the lawn. We have have another dog that lives downstairs from us that does the something. Does anyone think she (ours) is going potty at the same places that the dog downstairs goes because she smells the other dogs mess? And how do I correct this?

I swear Malachi has pee/poop wars with the neighbors Yorkie. We walk 'our half' of the neighborhood 3x a day and the only time he wants to pull on the leash is when we are approaching the yorkies yard. He then sniffs out the 'mess spots' and has to promptly cover them with his own. I also pick up his :poop: to be respectful of my neighbors..but...its definitely full on territory wars between these two. That could very well be what your dog is doing, too...can't really give you advice-it's natural behavior. Walk your dog elsewhere is the best advice I can offer?..maybe someone else can help you..

·
Registered
595 Posts
There were a few days when ours seemed to have regressed but things went back on track fairly stress free.

It is strange that yours does this because puppies usually don't like to relieve themselves where they eat and sleep. I am guessing that he gets his meals in the crate or in the kitchen.

I can only suggest that you use a odor and stain remover everywhere he has peed or as he might be smelling the left over odor from previous times.

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
Is he drinking more water than he usually does? Maybe its hotter since it is summer in your home or state?
Could he possibly have a bladder infection?
Have you changed foods to raw or to one where you need to add water?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He drinks quite often, or at least I think so. He drinks as much as dogs I've owned in the past. I don't think it's a bladder infection since the urine isn't cloudy or smelly. It's actually so clear that sometimes I can hardly find the puddle when I get back with the paper towels. He was better today, I'm beginning to think there's a break in communication with how he tells me he needs to go out. Yesterday he sat down near (not right next to) the door for ten seconds before he got up and tried to pee behind the island counter. Has anyone used bells for signaling when the dog needs to go out? He isn't much of a barker.

·
Registered
30,374 Posts
He is NOT doing this on purpose. He is a baby. And do not yell at him for it. You will only make it worse

Check for a UTI anyways. Jax's urine was clear also. Her only symptom was an inability to housebreak her for peeing and drinking excessively. After a bout of antibiotics, she was miraculously housebroken.

Do not leave him unattended. If it is not UTI then it is a habit being formed. Either leash him to you or put him in the crate when you leave the room.

Take him out 15 minutes after he drinks or eats and every 2 hours after that.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
don't leave him unsupervised and take him more often. i think
at 15 weeks i was taking my pup out every 1/2 hour or hour.
overnight he was going out once or twice at 15 weeks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't ever yell at him when he has an accident in the house. I know it's my fault for not keeping a closer eye on him. I don't even yell at him when I catch him mid-pee, he just gets a sharp noise to get him to stop and I carry him outside.

Doggiedad: I'm glad you said that, because 1/2 hour to and hour seems like like how often he needs to go out and he goes out once during the night. It's so hot here I don't want to restrict his water intake, especially since he's been having occasional mild diarrhea, so I'm glad to hear that him going out that often is normal.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The only thing I can suggest is not leave him unsupervised. Put a leash on him and take him wherever you go throughout the house. Learn the cues and be ready to calmly but quickly get him outside and have a party each time he goes where he's supposed to. Be consistent and he will get it.
Yes. At this stage the puppy has to have eyes on him when he's out of the crate. Always. You have to really pay attention to the signals and be ready to get him outside and praise the heck out of him when he gets it right. Not to sound harsh but when he goes in the house it's a handler mistake 100% of the time. You can't turn your back for 15 minutes to go do something, and if you have to turn your attention to something else, put him in his crate until you're able to see what he's doing.

I also picked up the water shortly after dinner and that helped as well.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
I know a lot of people restrict water, especially at night, but we never have. When our pup got home a few weeks ago (at 10 weeks old), she came from a cool rainy climate and we had really warm temps (well, not Vegas warm, but warm for us). So, I gave her as much water as she wanted (and I even gave her some after her middle of the night potty break). It may have taken a little bit longer to get her to sleep through the night, but I figured it would pass.

I also don't trust her alone unless she is out cold taking a nap (she will be 16 weeks next week) - and then it is only for like 5 minutes to do something quick and I can hear her to see if she got up.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Mine is 12 weeks and goes 4-5hours at night, 1.5-2 hours during the day (in crate). I never have her out of the crate unsupervised, even in her pen, either me or the hubs is with her. I also control her water still, she gets to drink her fill before each potty break and at mealtimes, no water for an hour before bedtime.
It work out pretty great although so far I'll admit she has been very easy for a young pup.
Like the others have said, supervision supervision and tons of praise when he goes outside/in the proper spot. Basically treat it like this: if you weren't 100% sure your pup would recall in a busy traffic area, you wouldn't let him off the leash. If you're not 100% sure he won't potty when out of the crate, don't leave him unsupervised.

Bell training can work, there are plenty of videos online teaching the technique. Good luck! I know it can be frustrating.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Baillif, I didn't mean deliberate as in he's plotting against me, but I meant that he does it for attention reasons. He has never gone in his crate when I leave him alone or overnight, but one day I was eating breakfast at the table, 5 feet away from him and his crate, and he walked into the open crate and peed in there. It's the same way that he tries to grab things I'm working on at the kitchen table to get attention.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Again, just to clarify, I know it's my fault when he goes in the house, like I said in an earlier post, he never gets reprimanded for it. I also know he's not plotting against me, I was just frustrated. I no longer leave him alone, ever. We had an accident free day yesterday and a nearly accident free day today. I appreciate all the help, I really appreciate knowing that him needing to go out so often is normal. It's been a while since I've had a puppy. I'm still not restricting water too much (except for about 20 minutes when he starts digging in the water and soaks the kitchen) because it's just too dang hot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts