German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my puppy from a pet store about 4 months ago. (I know I know, I said I would never get a dog from a pet store, I got suckered in...) and I feel like im paying for it every day. My dog has had chronic giardia that I can't seem to get rid of..she is on her 5th or 6th round of treatment for it. also had roundworms once in there but I never saw any. I am at my wits end with this and I feel so bad for her, she seems to feel fine, but she can't be around any other dogs and she is VERY dog oriented! Anyway...today I saw tiny whitish worm things crawling in the poop, I came in to get a bag and picked it up right away, it was covered with flies, but they couldn't hatch maggots that quick. It wasn't as big as rice, so I don't think it's tapeworm...I actually cried for like a half hour! I have never been so stressed! She has been on panacur for 5 days now, how could she have ANYTHING!!!!! I don't know what to do I just needed to vent. Has anyone had success with Koccifree,...im gonna put her on it a week after she finishes the Panacur. I just feel like my poor puppy is never going to be free of worms and parasites...and I worry about her longterm health with all this! Am I being overly concerned?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Are you treating the giardia yourself or have you gone to the Vet?? Panacur itself won't usually get rid of giardia. If you went to a Vet they should have prescribed the anti biotic metronidazole along with the panacur.....

·
Registered
423 Posts
You will get better reply's if you post this in the health section. Lot of more knowledgeable people then me....

Does the worm look like this?? Does your puppy have fleas?? Years ago I had a GSD that got tapeworms from swallowing a flea.....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, it's not that,. just had her "after dinner poop", nothing moving..no worms seen! She has been treated by a vet from day one..did do one round of panacur and flagyl together, that was in the beginning... my vet is not very good, in my opinion though. I took a sample in anyway today and they will let me know the verdict tomorrow.

Also, .the forum won't let me post anywhere else for some reason, that's why I put it here lol. I didn't even see a health section! I don't know why I can't post anywhere else.??

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She has been on panacur and flagyl, flagyl alone I think twice, drontal and now panacur 7 day regime. Right after the Drontal was the only negative giardia, and the followup 2 and 1/2 weeks later was positive again.

·
Registered
423 Posts
The problem with giardia is it takes a couple months after its gone before you get an accurate test result. It can still come back as positive even if your puppy doesn't have it unless you wait....

But your vet can test for the other kinds....

(edit) Just looked it up. Flagyl is another name for Metrondazole so you are on the right stuff.....

I don't know why you can't post any where else.....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for your posts..believe me I have read everything there is on giardia over the last few months.. there is so much contradictory info, it's frustrating..i read that some dogs can be "carriers" but not be passing cysts..im so frustrated and confused. Are you sure about the false positives?? even with the SNAP test? My vet doesn't seem too educated on the topic...time to find a new one.

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
Usually once you treat for worms, you should treat again in two weeks. The wite things could be rounds. Could be tapes. I usually use strongid for rounds. But something else for tapes. So far I haven't had to treat for giardia, but Albon for Coccidia.

I think you should discuss this with your vet, take another stool sample and tell him that you want to wipe them out. Pups can reinfest themselves if they eat the poop so go out on lead and pick stuff up immediately.

Good luck.

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
drontal -- yeah I think that does tapes.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Here's some info for you on neem. You might want to try a natural medicine if others fail.
Using Neem Oil For Dogs
Internal use of neem leaf helps with intestinal parasites, generally helps the intestine, stimulates liver function and strengthens the immune system.

If your looking for a different approach to dog health then look into natural rearing.
Here's a good book on that subject.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
I use a holistic approach for everything but it should be noted that Neem is to be used with great caution around children and pregnant mothers (ie miscarriages).
While Neem does have some great properties, it should be administered for a short period of time only as the liver can be effected in long term use.
Neem is good for internal parasites but not effective on tape worms.
Hope you find something that works for your pup!:)

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
take the stool sample with the worm in it to the Vet. with
the proper meds she's going to be ok.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Are you sure she's not being reinfected again and again by the giardia protoza, picking it up from your yard or another source that you may frequent?

The reason I ask is because I have a friend who lived on a small lake in NC that had a lot of ducks ... her dogs were constantly being treated for giardia ... when they moved to the mountains of TN the giardia problem disappeared.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The worms are being passed now because the panacur is killing them. Finish the course and exactly 2 weeks later use DRONTAL,to kill any that have hatched afterwards, before they have chance to breed. Sometimes the eggs don't get killed . From there on I would just use MILBEMAX every 3 months, unless you see worms.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts