German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 10 week old gsd x puppy has been making a cough/choking noise every now and then. It's really scaring me and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this before? His dinner was hours ago and as far as I know I haven't seen him swallow anything. He's only had one set of injections and has been in our garden only, no walks outside or interaction with other dogs. He seems to be ok, still playful and tail wagging but it's absolutely terrified me googling it and seeing results about pups dying and the parvo virus.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
If you're concerned, maybe you should schedule him for a visit to your vet for an exam.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's due to go in Monday for his second injections and we have a 24 hour vet around the corner. I was just hoping someone had some previous experience with this sort of thing. He seems to have settled down but I'll keep an eye on him over night.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Fiona was similar when she had tonsillitis. Pup needs to go to vet. Swollen tonsils can cut off breathing or make it harder to do so.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Regardless of what the issue is do NOT have vaccines done on monday - it is indicated in the lit that comes in the box of vaccines NOT to vaccinate at any sign of illness - this includes seemingless non-issues like diarrhea.

Youo can vax. with a clean bill of health and clean does not mean a check up and feel up by the vet - blood work, x-rays to rule out infection (lung infection), obstruction and so forth - if the vet scripts abx. Then wait until run the course and only then give vax. if all is clear

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I have two presently with kennel cough. One gave it to the other. The second one was coughing every now and then and she was taken to the emergency vet tonite and put on antibiotics. The first one got it at the shelter.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wondered if it was kennel cough but the vet gave him the vaccine for that 2 weeks ago. It seems to have stopped now and I'm hoping it was just something he had stuck in his throat, a hair or something. Regardless I'll keep an eye on him and if he continues doing it we will take him to the vet and see what they say. Thanks everyone for your help.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Berlin had kennel cough last week, cleared up on it's own. (he was 15 weeks old). Just some sneezing and coughing

Bordetella only covers a small number of the causes for kennel cough. Kennel cough is basically ANY upper respiratory disease. I never do the bordetella vaccine and my dogs practically live in a vet hospital.

Really it could be anything at this point. Keep a close eye. ANY signs of problems breathing, lethargy, not eating or drinking, vomiting or diarrhea, then go straight to your vet.

As far as vaccines on Monday - as long as otherwise healthy and the cough does not continue, I personally would still give vaccines. If my vet felt ok with it. If you go longer than 4 weeks then you have to start the vaccine series all over again to ensure proper immunity

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He seems all well, eating and drinking fine and his poo isn't any more runny than usual, just a bit soft and gloopy, not full diarrhoea. Think this might be from the puppy kong filler we've got that we sometimes give him as a treat to keep him occupied. He's playing fine too, running around the garden and house as usual. He doesn't seem out of sorts but I will ask the vet tomorrow and see what she says :)

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
I wondered if it was kennel cough but the vet gave him the vaccine for that 2 weeks ago. It seems to have stopped now and I'm hoping it was just something he had stuck in his throat, a hair or something. Regardless I'll keep an eye on him and if he continues doing it we will take him to the vet and see what they say. Thanks everyone for your help.

Bingo!

Probably kennel caugh caused by the vaccine. It happens. It happened to one of the puppies I sold a few years ago. Both of her dogs got kennel caugh or KC symptoms from the vaccination.

Breeders around here often suggest not giving the kennel caugh vaccine to pups under a year old.

Hopefully it goes away soon. I have never had KC myself but my parents old English Setter got it once. I thought it was his time, and he would die, but he got better.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so yesterday he was heaving and brought up some water with white bubbles in it and this morning he's just had a moment where it looks like he's going to throw up. He started heaving and his whole body was moving forward but he didn't bring anything up. We're taking him to the vet in an hour.

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
What happened at the vet?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What happened at the vet?
She basically said she won't vaccinate him and that sometimes the kennel cough vaccine can cause it, she wants to wait till Friday and see if he's any better. If not then no vaccine and some tests to find out what's wrong! He's just vomited up the watery bile again in his crate this morning. I hope waiting till Friday isn't going to make him any worse off.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Is he actually vomiting or is he coughing so hard it's producing mucus-like expulsion? Two very different symptoms. Eating and drinking ok?

Good luck with everything sorry your pup is sick :(

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is he actually vomiting or is he coughing so hard it's producing mucus-like expulsion? Two very different symptoms. Eating and drinking ok?

Good luck with everything sorry your pup is sick :(

It's strange because I haven't heard him cough since the choking noise two nights ago, it's just the vomiting water. It's the same noise my lab mix would make when he vomited everything up, but all Loki is producing is water/bile. He's eating and drinking fine, it's hard to have to just wait and see what happens :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts