German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, I just got a mini potbelly pig, he is 8 weeks old. I introduced hil to Nieko and he seemed to be ok with him he was kissing him and just sitting by me when I fed the piglet.. But now I cant read him, I dont know if he is just trying to herd the piglet, he wants to nip him. If someone is holding him, Nieko keeps jumping up and trying to grab him. So now I have to keep the piglet in his big crate and Nieko just whines. He lays by the crate and just stares at the piglet. Please let me know what you think I should do..mI really want them to get along. I am just afraid cause Nieko is just to big.. He seems just really possesive of the piglet..

Thanks,
Roe

·
Registered
394 Posts
Well, not sure about piglets but when I first got my kitten, my GSD was about 8 yrs old (and big). I introduced them very, very slowly. I actually had a baby gate separating the 2 so that they could get use to each other. Slowly I would hold the kitten and let my dog smell it (and yes he would jump at me trying to get to her) but would make sure he was being nice to her and tell him "easy". They (after 1 week) started to play the "stare contest" where they would just stare at each other. Then I let them go at it. Thunder (my GSD) would go after her in a playful way and "groom her". After a few weeks they were sleeping together. Just be patient and introduce them gradually.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I have always had my dog down when something smaller than her approaches (i.e. kitten, puppy, child). She just knows now that is what she is supposed to do. If your dog is in a down, it is easier to control him.

·
Registered
31,982 Posts
GENTLE with the BABY. or CAREFUL. I don't know. Your dog thinks pigs belong outside on a farm. I don't know. Sorry if I am being a bit unhelpful but I have not quite got my mind around the idea of pigs living in the house. I know they are intelligent and all, but they are a prey animal, and the dog is a predator, so if your dog has good prey drive, your pig may become piggy chews. Until that dog proves himself around the pig, or the pig has enough bulk to hold its own, I would not suggest letting them any unsupervised time.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have always had my dog down when something smaller than her approaches (i.e. kitten, puppy, child). She just knows now that is what she is supposed to do. If your dog is in a down, it is easier to control him.
I agree with this.

Dogs and pigs can actually make good companions.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Fkeeley I am hoping that the cage is similar to a separate room and in a week or two the novelty would wear off and he will be ok. And thank you Dawnandjr I will put him in a down and keep him like that when I am holding the piglet, you dont think it would make him jealous? I hope your not right Selzer I would hate to have to give up the piglet.. Thank you all for you advice, will keep you updated..
Roe

·
Registered
394 Posts
Keep us posted! I really think that if your dog wanted to harm the piglet it would have done so (growling, etc). Look at the dog's body language when near the piglet. How is his tail, hair on the back of his neck, etc. You should be able to tell by the body language if Nieko wants to play or "kill". I have a cat now who LOVES to play with my new puppy but HATES my other cat. We thought it was our imagination but I can tell the difference of when my cat wants to play and wants to hurt. He is calm and his tail is nice and low when he's near my puppy and he "bites" but I can tell they are playful bites because it doesn't hurt the puppy (no yelping or nothing-puppy goes back for more actually). But when he gets near my other cat, tail is fuzzy, the hair on his back is up and if he catches her, there is hair flying all over the place and there is an awful sound coming out of him. Body language will tell you a lot!

·
Registered
31,982 Posts
Roe, GSD bitches have been known to raise tiger cubs. It is one thing to get a dog to accept a pet, another to accept farm critters, and a whole other world for them to accept wild animals. But they do.

There was this one thing that showed a dog and an elephant hit it off.

So, if you are just careful with the young pig for a while, he should get used to it.

Dogs sometimes take time to get used to other dogs and even new puppies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts