German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, my puppy is now 4.5 months and recently he started having really bad diarrhea. It started off two Sundays ago (05/06) where he had liquid watery diarrhea (liquid shooting out when he pooped), which never happened before. The day or two after that, he had normal poop, but he lost his appetite. Then last Wed (05/09), he vomited, was lethargic, had liquid diarrhea and a fever, and was not eating, so we rushed him to the vet. I was able to bring in poop sample and I also immediately requested for a parvo test. Both the parvo test and fecal sample came back negative, so I was relieved. The vet prescribed him Metronidazole and Famotidine (for reducing stomach acid) and also told us to feed him bland canned food that we got from the vet.

He has been taking medicine ever since last Wed but he still has diarrhea. It's not liquid diarrhea like before but it's now very mooshy and just a puddle (no solid poop at all), and it takes a long time for him to need to go to poop. He doesn't vomit anymore and no more fever. He seems to have more energy than how he was on 05/09. Also to note, he hasn't eaten his kibbles ever since 05/06. We've been cooking boiled chicken with white rice mixing in with his bland canned food but he only picks out the boiled chicken and leave the rest. He would still eat treats.

We already made an appointment to visit the vet again tonight. We are requesting for x-rays this time to see if it's intestinal blockage, so hopefully we get to the bottom of this. I feel so bad for my pup.

These are a few of my thoughts/notes:
- On the same day he had liquid diarrhea, I just got a new puppy that day and showed it to him (no physical contact) and in less than 15 minutes, I took him to poop and he already had the liquid diarrhea so I don't think the new pup gave him anything. The new pup doesn't have diarrhea either.

- He is 4.5 months so perhaps he might be teething. I noticed his bottom gum where his other bottom teeth are has some extra teeth sticking out. I've read that teething causes diarrhea. He has been biting us more too.
- I've also read that one of the Metronidazole medicine side effects is diarrhea so not sure if it's just the side effects of the medicine for the continuous diarrhea.
- Not sure if feeding boiled chicken and white rice is considered changing his diet but if so, perhaps this is causing the diarrhea too.
- It could be intestinal blockage since he loves to chew rocks. I really hope this isn't the case.

Does anyone have similar experience to this and found out what it was? Please let me know your inputs. Thank you sooo much!

·
Registered
247 Posts
If he started withing 15 minutes of getting a new puppy, can't it be psychological?

Also if all tests are negative, try change his diet (completely, eg. If he gets cooked chicken don't feed chicken in any form)?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If he started withing 15 minutes of getting a new puppy, can't it be psychological?

Also if all tests are negative, try change his diet (completely, eg. If he gets cooked chicken don't feed chicken in any form)?

Thank you! Yeah, I have a feeling that the new pup may have affected him mentally/psychologically at least some way. Once I get the x-rays done and it comes back negative then I'm pretty sure it's a mental thing. I really hope my pup is ok, been worried ever since! Thanks again!

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
A dog gets diarrhea from eating junk outside or food dropped on the floor that doesn’t agree with him or any other number of things. The vet gives you a bland diet and tells you to immediately switch over. The new bland diet causes loose stools because the dog isn't used to it. Try a little pumpkin with each meal, and get a good probiotic. Think about switching to a very good kibble and transition slowly. We have had several of those types of incidents and wasted a lot of money for zero results. My dog outgrew it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A dog gets diarrhea from eating junk outside or food dropped on the floor that doesn’t agree with him or any other number of things. The vet gives you a bland diet and tells you to immediately switch over. The new bland diet causes loose stools because the dog isn't used to it. Try a little pumpkin with each meal, and get a good probiotic. Think about switching to a very good kibble and transition slowly. We have had several of those types of incidents and wasted a lot of money for zero results. My dog outgrew it.

Thank you so much for your response! Yeah hopefully it's just the bland food that's causing it.

Update:
We took him to the vet yesterday and got x-rays done. There was nothing foreign in his intestines. The only thing they saw was that he was very gassy and his poop was not forming any solids. The vet prescribed new meds for him, probiotic pills and Tylan/Albon liquid mix, to be taken along with the previous meds, and we have new food that is high in fiber. The vet said hopefully this solves it or we're going to have to do more specific testings i.e. malabsorption, food allergy, pancreas, and something about GI test. She was going to prescribe steroids but she said she wants to hold off on that to see if the new meds work first. I hope the probiotic pills will do it. I mentioned yesterday that he only eats boiled chicken that we make him but now he even stops eating that and tries to steal food from our dinner table. The vet said maybe he's just being smart about food now but that we should be tough love about it, if he's hungry enough he'll eat what we give him.

We also did blood work and the vet just called today to confirm that his blood work is all good, nothing to be concerned about. The general tests like fecal, parvo, x-rays, and even blood work are all good so I really hope my pup is ok. His temperature is back to normal at 101 and since 05/09, he gained 1.6lb, which I was happy about because it's not like he's losing weight even after all the diarrhea haha.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Just started having this same problem with my 4.5 month old GSD. It comes and goes. I think she might be picking up tiny mushrooms from the yard. I had a couple trees removed years back. They feed off of the rotting roots underground I guess.

I just go to oatmeal/sweet potato/scrambled egg, and a teaspoon of pepto mixed with a little beef broth. Clears up in a day or two.

My last pup did the same thing and had bad diarrhea for a couple days. Check your yard for mushrooms!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Consider Olewo carrots. A German dehydrated carrot food addition. Rehydrate with hot water and mix with food. Works well for ‘formed stools’ and some say enhances gsd coat colors. I also use the olewo dried beets occasionally.

https://www.amazon.com/Olewo-Digestive-Supplement-effective-1-ingredient/dp/B0083QBVEW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1526513973&sr=8-4&keywords=olewo+beets+for+dogs
Thank you so much for the suggestion and the link! I'll definitely try to order some if I don't see that his new meds are working.

Just started having this same problem with my 4.5 month old GSD. It comes and goes. I think she might be picking up tiny mushrooms from the yard. I had a couple trees removed years back. They feed off of the rotting roots underground I guess.

I just go to oatmeal/sweet potato/scrambled egg, and a teaspoon of pepto mixed with a little beef broth. Clears up in a day or two.

My last pup did the same thing and had bad diarrhea for a couple days. Check your yard for mushrooms!
Thank you for sharing your experience and for the recipe! I appreciate your help!

Did they do an ELSIA blood test?
Nah, we just did the regular blood exam (on the receipt, it just says Adult Chem,CBC,T4). Thanks!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Thank you so much for the suggestion and the link! I'll definitely try to order some if I don't see that his new meds are working.

Thank you for sharing your experience and for the recipe! I appreciate your help!

Nah, we just did the regular blood exam (on the receipt, it just says Adult Chem,CBC,T4). Thanks!
Well you could be missing giardia then, a common parasite that causes diarrhea. It doesn't always show up in every fecal exam. If this were my dog I would get the ELSIA blood test done to determine if there are any parasites. Did I read right that this is a 4.5 month old puppy? Why did they do an adult chemistry panel? Also chicken is a common food allergy in dogs, I would quit the boiled chicken perhaps.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well you could be missing giardia then, a common parasite that causes diarrhea. It doesn't always show up in every fecal exam. If this were my dog I would get the ELSIA blood test done to determine if there are any parasites. Did I read right that this is a 4.5 month old puppy? Why did they do an adult chemistry panel? Also chicken is a common food allergy in dogs, I would quit the boiled chicken perhaps.

Thanks for your response! We did a fecal test that shows on the receipt "Fecal Combo- Giardia ELISA" but it came back negative. Perhaps it might not have been shedding when we did the fecal exam. He was taking Metronidazole but now completed it but still diarrhea. We will ask them about the ELISA blood exam since it might show up more accurately than just the poop exam? Yeah, you're right, that does sound weird why it showed up Adult on the receipt. It better be just an error when they entered it haha. Thank you for letting me know about chicken being common in food allergy for dogs. We will try beef and stay away from chicken to see if he improves. Thanks again!

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
My vet, and all of his predecessors, recommend Ground beef and All Bran Cereal to stop diarrhea. They get a handful throughout the day. Nothing else. It has worked for every one of my dogs and every dog whose owner was willing to try it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My vet, and all of his predecessors, recommend Ground beef and All Bran Cereal to stop diarrhea. They get a handful throughout the day. Nothing else. It has worked for every one of my dogs and every dog whose owner was willing to try it.
Thank you for the recommendation! That's great since I want to change from chicken to beef and my pup has never tried ground beef so he should be happy to try something new haha. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
My vet said the ground beef and All Bran give the gut a chance to heal. I have used this to transition to another food, as well. Gradually add in the new food, until you have more new food than ground beef & All Bran.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
ELISA is not always recommended. My dog got a false positive with that test. The vet said they ran it in error and that they don’t use it within 6 months of treatment because it is not as accurate as a visual.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My vet said the ground beef and All Bran give the gut a chance to heal. I have used this to transition to another food, as well. Gradually add in the new food, until you have more new food than ground beef & All Bran.
Thanks for the tip about using it to transition to another food!

ELISA is not always recommended. My dog got a false positive with that test. The vet said they ran it in error and that they don’t use it within 6 months of treatment because it is not as accurate as a visual.
Thanks for the information! I'll keep that in mind.

Today I will continue with the new meds and change to ground beef and hopefully he'll get better soon. If not, I will try to get panacur C (Fenbendazole) to see if it might be giardia causing all this.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Only give Panacur if you are sure the dog has giardia, and then make sure it’s the correct dose. If not, you can end up with a resistant strain.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts