German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get my dogs a crate (pref with a divider in the middle) the problem is that I only have a really small car (Fiat Panda) and I live in Italy so it needs to be a place that delivers here cheaply.

I have found one which is 93 cm long (36inches) but as it's 79cm wide it means each dog will only have 39 cm (just over 15 inches) in width. Which I think seems too narrow. :(

Please could those who have a car crate tell me the measurements that fit their dog ok?

Thank you:)

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
I need to get my dogs a crate (pref with a divider in the middle) the problem is that I only have a really small car (Fiat Panda) and I live in Italy so it needs to be a place that delivers here cheaply.

I have found one which is 93 cm long (36inches) but as it's 79cm wide it means each dog will only have 39 cm (just over 15 inches) in width. Which I think seems too narrow. :(

Please could those who have a car crate tell me the measurements that fit their dog ok?

Thank you:)
pesonally I think that'd be fine for a crate in the car. But if you're uncomfortable with it and can't get a bigger crate in the car why not use seatbelts?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pesonally I think that'd be fine for a crate in the car. But if you're uncomfortable with it and can't get a bigger crate in the car why not use seatbelts?
As long as the dogs can get in and lie down (not too cramped) I think it will be ok but I can't tell if they will be able to or not..

I would rather have a crate than a seatbelt so that when we are at training the dogs cab have the doors open when its warm and still be safe in the car. :)

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
As long as the dogs can get in and lie down (not too cramped) I think it will be ok but I can't tell if they will be able to or not..

I would rather have a crate than a seatbelt so that when we are at training the dogs cab have the doors open when its warm and still be safe in the car. :)
as long as they can lay down confortably they should be ok. I use seatbelts and leave my doors open all the time and they've never attempted to jump out because they can't.

·
2,967 Posts
I agree that crates are better for training. Seatbelts are fine if you are just transporting the dog...but if you're doing something like Schuzhund training where the dog is really geared to try and get to the field...you really need a crate to contain them and protect your car. Additionally I know when it's hot I like for my dogs to have water in their crate, or I'll even throw in some ice blocks. Way too messy for that without a crate.

When we had friends with small cars what they would do is buy a standard plstic Vari-kennel and just transport the dog in the car with the crate collapsed. When they got to the field they would put it together really quickly with a couple zip ties, and then just cut the zip ties after training to put it back in the car. Now they also sell crates with quick snaps instead of the old screw and bolt.

My big dogs (85-95lbs) need an XL Varikennel which is 40inches long. My medium dogs (65-75lbs) ride in the 36inch Large Varikennel.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
oh I'm sorry I didn't see the training part, in that case, yes, I'd use a crate :) again I'm sorry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts