German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy just turned two months! But sadly we are not able to celebrate his two month birthday as he is losing hair from the end of where upper and lower lips meet, up till his nose and a small spot on his forehead. I have attached images so to understand better. My recent visit to vet, he prescribed some oil for him and that is why in images his face looks a bit wet. Please can anyone tell me what my puppy is going through..!?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Poor guy, I would 1st think about what that snoot has been into... What might be on the yard flowers and such. Does he itch anywhere else on his body....Is he eating and drinking. How does he seem mood wise. I am thinking allergic but then again what do I know. If he was my pup thats where I would start. Retracing steps.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Take him to the vet. It could be any number of things: mange mites, ringworm, allergies, etc. The vet can do tests to determine the cause.

I'd do it now before it gets worse.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all! There seems nothing wrong in his mood or eating habits even his stool is consistent and not loose. He is very active and we have been feeding him Royal Canin Maxi Starter as recommended by the vet and we are serving it and the water in two different bowls of stainless steel which we clean after every meal and keep replacing with fresh water. I will consult another doctor.. thank you all really

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
The round shape of the one on top of the head looks a little bit suspicious to me for ringworm, but there's no way to be sure without a skin scrape and look under the microscope. Demodex (mange) is also a possibility, as it commonly affects young ones on the face. Those things would be more likely than allergies, but allergies are possible too. A skin scrape is an important first step to look for parasites, bacteria, and fungus.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
Looks suspicious of Demodex to me. Did your vet do a skin scrape? What oil did they give you?

·
Super Moderator
8,500 Posts
Another vote for suspected Demodex... aka “puppy mange”

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Poor guy!

Glad you asked here but what did your vet say? What oil did he give you that is prescribed?

What do you feed him? If it is demodex mites you gotta be careful what to feed. His immune system is also compromised possibly. Keep us updated! Demodex cant be taken lightly. Ask your vet about a benzoyl peroxide shampoo and a treatment plan.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts