German Shepherds Forum banner

Please help! So frustrated.

3K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  JazzNScout 
Do you have him in any obedience classes? Are you crate training him? Being outside by himself isn't the answer.
What he said. You can't expect him to know how to behave when you've never taught him, and tossing him outside is just delaying the problem. He's not learning anything being out there by himself. Bring him in, enroll him in a puppy class, and buy a crate so you can confine him in the house when you can't watch him.

i definatly need to work on this.... every time he grabs something he's not supposed to its SCOUT!
Yeah, you really want his name associated with good things, not with misbehaving. Management is key at this point - he should have few opportunities to grab things he's not supposed to have (don't leave ANYTHING laying around), and in the meantime play trading games with him so he becomes accustomed to bringing you anything he picks up. If it's a toy you can praise him, trade it for a treat and then give it back, or play with him with it for a bit. If it's the TV remote or a shoe, which shouldn't be in reach anyway, you can simply thank him for bringing it to you and don't give it back.

Halo will bring us her bones to hold while she chews them. If I don't feel like being her servant at the moment I'll either just tell her "good girl", or ask her "can I have that?" and take it from her. I ask for a sit and a watch, then give it back.

You may have seen the picture of her with a kitchen knife (12" blade) in her mouth - I was able to get that away from her without any human or dog injuries or furniture damage because of all the trading games we'd played in the past. If I had yelled and chased after her when she got ahold of something, believe me she would have learned how much fun it is to get mom to chase her around the house instead of learning how much fun it is to bring me stuff.

Here's our little game - she had already brought the bone to me when I grabbed the video camera off my desk:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.