German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
Thank you for taking the time to read my post and hopefully provide insight/helpful feedback. As background: We have a beautiful 3.5yo GSD female, who we adopted when she was about 4 months old. She never had dog socialization and so there are certain behaviors that resulted--she can just seemingly be "confused"/not good when socializing with other dogs. She is VERY type A/ALPHA, and does not get on with female dogs. Male dogs have been less of a problem. She is very leash aggressive as well.

We decided to add to our family and adopted a male puppy -- about 3mo of age and is a mixed breed dog from the shelter on Thursday afternoon. I admittedly made the erroneous mistake by not taking Bess to meet the puppy first. We brought him home and slowly introduced them--through the door at first, and then after a few hours of sniffing under the door--in the garage--which was fairly "neutral" territory I thought as Bess very rarely goes in there. Initially they seemed ok--no hostility, just sniffing and watching each other. Neither dog was on a leash, and our entire family was there. In the past few days the behavior by Bess had definitely gone downhill...becoming more hostile and very highly territorial. As an example--if we give the puppy a chew toy Bess will immediately come over and growl, then snarl/snap at him and take the toy from him. Even if the pup is sitting alone by self, Bess will go over and take the toy away. Also, If I'm sitting down, if the pup comes near me Bess will growl, then snarl and snap at him to keep him away. I have started to correct Bess (verbally) when she is doing this--but not sure if I am helping or hurting the situation. It's rare that Bess will actually make contact with the puppy (i.e. Biting), but it has happened once or twice. No blood drawn, more of a "nip". Bess never has had her hackles raised, FYI. The pup is definitely trying to bond with her, he chases her around, tries to sit near her, always intimates playtime.

We are giving Bess a ton of love and attention and treats so she feels less unsettled (or so we hope). I do see the two playing at times in the morning, with Bess even initiating playtime in the past day.

We got the pup in large part so Bess would have a good friend. I fear we are done by more damage to her however, and that breaks my heart. She is the love of our life and is our first priority by far. If needed we will return the puppy, we are thinking we should give them one week so to see if this works out.

Please share input and advice. We may be doing things "a** backwards", so guidance is appreciated on how to make this work.

Warmest wishes
Elisabeth

·
Registered
84 Posts
When you are treating her to make her comfortable, have you noticed if maybe she feels rewarded by you for her territorial/claiming behavior? And as for the puppy getting his toys taken, if she has a toy as well will she still take his? And I'm so sorry this has turned into a nightmare for you, you wanted a peaceable kingdom and personally, if she was having these behavior issues, I wouldn't believe bringing an innocent puppy with puppy energy would help her to be better. I sincerely hope things work out for the best, as you said give the pup a trial period.

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
I mean no offense, but I think it was a mistake to bring a puppy into this situation. I had a dog like Bess. Bess doesn't need a friend. She only needs you. None of this is good for the puppy. He could be seriously hurt. Aside from physical injury, the puppy is learning improper behavior from Bess. He could easily change from a well rounded pup to a fearful, dog aggressive pup. Hopefully, this is not a kill shelter. If it is not, please return the puppy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the quick reply and the feedback. It is greatly appreciated!

I would never want to hurt Bess and importantly, hurt and/or start establishing bad behavior in a puppy. The pup is very sweet and very smart, that would break my heart to see such a result.

We simply want what is best for both dogs--but our Bess is our first priority. I got the pup thinking it would bring her some companionship, and "joy". Sadly, it seems to not be the case.

Thank you again for your time and help

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
Please let us know how things work out. I know you have the interest of both dogs at heart. Sometimes things don't go as we planned. Wishing you and the pups all the best.

·
Registered
9 Posts
When I bought my GSD puppy at 2 months old, my (then) boyfriends dog really didn't like him either. Did the same thing about toys and so on. We corrected his dogs behaviour and the situation got better after a few weeks. These were both males which can make a difference of course, but it did get better. I hope your situation gets better too. It sounds like you are doing the right thing. My exes dog was very annoyed with the puppy for a long time (and he rarely ever gets along with any other dog) but they grew to be as siblings after a while. I hope time will help! Hugs!

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
I separate my dogs when I give them high value toys. I feed the puppy in his crate and never stopped doing that. He is 9 months old and they still sometimes don't get along. If my female is feeling crabby with him, I use gates and an open pen to divide the room. When he was little, I never left them alone together, even for a few minutes because she was bossy with him and I wasn't completely sure she wouldn't nip at him. It may in part be trying to correct him and not knowing how. Since its intermittent, try to figure out what is setting her off and don't let that happen. It's encouraging that she will sometimes play with him.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Your Bess sounds quite like my 12 year old Mika. She is a queen bee, no nonsense sort of girl. Also very leash reactive and doesn't like many dogs she meets. She had a companion GSD who was older and passed in the fall. We added a puppy in April. I was ready for so much separation, and a crazy amount of training to make it work. The first few days she got up and walked away whenever he came near. Growled if he got too close, showed her teeth.It only took a few days for her to stop that behaviour. She has "chewed him out" very vocal nipping close but has never made contact with him. And now they are the best of friends....he is her baby she won't let him out of her site. He will take things from her like a bold little puppy and she could care less. Wherever he his, she moves to keep a close eye on.

My only tips would be make sure she gets her food in peace. I stood beside them at feeding time and wouldn't let my little piggy put near hers. My guys take each others bones and chews all the time, but they don't fight. But if it became too high value I would either take them away, or dump 6 of them on the floor.

I hope it gets better for you, and you have a happy story soon of the two of them being the best of friends :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
I got new GS puppy when our golden was 11 years old. She was friendly as it can be to everyone, but she surly did not appreciate new addition. She would correct puppy, show teeth and growl. Puppy was clinging to her trying to play and interact. We had to divide attention so old dog would not feel left out, you almost seen that for few month, she almost show sign of depression. Afterwards, she started to accept puppy and started to care bout it and when some dogs in the park would be rough with puppy shoe would "step in" to calm situation (golden is such an "alpha female"). My old dog in the end has benefited by being rejuvenated by puppy and she had more energy and at time became playful with puppy. Now my "puppy" is three years old and golden fourteen and showing signs of old age. I can see how my young dog is attached to her and looks after her and now we are worried what will happen to GS if golden leaves us. She is still in decent shape but dramatically slowed down due to arthritis and tumors growth. She was such a positive influence on GS and they now depend on each other for company. So in summary, it was good decision to bring another dog. Our old dog got new energy in her life to the point that we were shocked, young puppy got road model and companion. Despite total animosity at the beginning, now they are best fiends. I would do it again, and we may do so in the future.

·
Banned
7,657 Posts
We are giving Bess a ton of love and attention and treats so she feels less unsettled (or so we hope). I do see the two playing at times in the morning, with Bess even initiating playtime in the past day.
By and large ... that is a big part of the problem "now." "That"
needs to be "substituted" with "Rules, Discipline and Structure." It's been 3.5 years?? So I don't know if your willing to make adjustments, in dog number one's life?? It's not hard but it does require a "willingness to make changes. Or ... hang your hopes on the second part and "hope it works out??"

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Looking at your previous threads, I don't think Bess was a good candidate for having a new dog move in. A lot of it is just the fact that it completely changes her routine and the structure she sounds like she needs. If you want a new dog, you need to create some new structure that's more in line with how she's lived the last couple years for her to feel some security. Think of the puppy as a complete interruption of her life, and adjust how you handle the puppy to live with her.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts