German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please help, I have been homeless for the past two years trying desperately to get any job I can living out of my car not eating so that I could afford his special needs food. I finally decided I was not a fit home for my 7 year old baby. I found a wonderful new home for him one week ago. I got an email telling me how he is depressed and just lying by the door his eyes are blood shot and his nose runny and last night they gave him a chicken tender an he vomited. They have been taking him out on lots of walks and playing with him and loving on him but he just goes to lie down and stays away from them. He loved it there when I visited them with him a couple times to make sure they were right. He is used to moving around a lot so I did not think he would have any problems. I know they are a much better home than I will ever be but my heart is breaking and I don't know what to do how can I help them get him out of this depression? The lady is scared he may not last long and die of a broken heart due to his age. I have no family. And none of my friends can keep him while I still try to get on my feet, will he die do u think because of my decision? What can I do or tell his new owners to make him happy again? I am so lost and my heart breaks he is supposed to be happy! They have a doggy friend his age (female) for him lots of time and no stress and a yard. I left a tshirt I had worn with my scent on it with them for him.

·
Registered
30,390 Posts
If his eyes are read and his nose is runny, he may be sick. Have they taken him to a vet?

No, he will not die from a broken heart. It will take a couple weeks for him to adjust to a new family.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If his eyes are read and his nose is runny, he may be sick. Have they taken him to a vet?

No, he will not die from a broken heart. It will take a couple weeks for him to adjust to a new family.
She is making an appointment for check up and heartworm test.

·
Registered
30,390 Posts
Start there. 7 years old is not really old. He's "middle aged". If you think it might help, can you visit him and help him adjust a bit more? He may be depressed as well. He's spent 24/7 with you for a very long time and it could take a little longer for him to adjust to his new family.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Sorry to hear about your situation & your dog. Unfortunately the visits may be a bad thing. Everytime you see your dog and leave takes it's toll on him. As hard as it may be what if you didn't visit for a while but kept in contact with the new family.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Please help, I have been homeless for the past two years trying desperately to get any job I can living out of my car not eating so that I could afford his special needs food. I finally decided I was not a fit home for my 7 year old baby.

I used to see homeless people with dogs and feel sorry for the dogs and think they weren't in a good "home." I've realized though that although the dogs might not be getting the best food or vet care, they are actually better taken care of than most dogs. The majority of dogs I see aren't walked or taken places, they live their whole lives in someone's house (or worse, their yard) and still probably don't get the best food or vet care. People on this board are the minority in the care, training, and attention they their provide their dogs. If it came down to it, my dog would be much happier living with me in a car and going everywhere with me than losing me to a home that could afford the things I used to do for him. Your dog may in time get over it and start to warm up to his new family- and by that time- maybe you could afford to provide for him the way you want to...

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
So very sorry for your situation, I can tell from your post that you love your boy very much. I am not that knowledgeable about rehomed dogs, but I do know that he is missing you and that will make him depressed. Lots of dogs that are rehomed adjust after a while to their new place and do very well. I will keep you and your boy in my prayers and wish you both the best.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Maybe tell the new family to do things with the dog, a good way to create a bond. Maybe take him for walks? Try to get him to play? He will be depressed, but reassure the family that they just need to create a bond.

I am very sorry for your loss. You did a very courageous thing for your dog. My prayers are with you and your friend.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Where are you? I can ask my husband if you need a place to crash and are nearby...PM me and gimme details...I want to help you if I can.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I wrote to just help.org on your behalf. They help with finding employment, housing, and assistance. I will let you know what they say. Hopefully we can reunite you with your dog, I can't imagine such a circumstance that you had to rehome your best friend. Such a selfless act says a lot about your character.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
Tazor and zeeva thats got to be the nicest thing Ive seen anyone do...you people are true angels! ..... sorry I just had to say something Ive been following this thread and was hoping something could be done for them to keep their best friend.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Tazor and zeeva thats got to be the nicest thing Ive seen anyone do...you people are true angels! ..... sorry I just had to say something Ive been following this thread and was hoping something could be done for them to keep their best friend.

I agree! What nice things to do! Keeping their dog would be just great too :)

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
tazor & zeeva: Way to go and spread some good old kindness around!:hug:
Lost1: What a valiant thing you did for the love of your dog! I am SO sorry for the broken hearts of both! Please ask his new caregiver if she would be willing to get a homeopathic from the health food store (not gnc) called "Ignatia Amara" in the strength: 30C. You get more and it's cheaper right from Washington Homeopathy= $16.39 for 2 ounces and $7.95 for shipping, but she could get a small one immediately while waiting for the order to come. Here is what you would order: Washington Homeopathic Products > Homeopathyworks.com > Your Shopping Cart OR on page Washington Homeopathic Products> Homeopathyworks.com > WHP Single Remedies >   Pills > I > Ignatia Amara select "Potency" = 30C and "size" = 2 ounce.
This is for emotional trauma that will work with his system to relieve his depression and sadness. It would be good for you too! It is a natural substance and you cannot overdose on it, as it is NOT a drug. Give 4 tablets 6 x's per day (for a week or more) until improvement is seen, then, cut down to 4 x's per day, then 2 x's as they see improvement.
I really think that this will help both of you.
Sending hugs your way!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am beyond touched at all the comments and speed of reply! You have helped ease my mind a lot about his transition process. I have shared the pertinent info with his new owner. He has gluten/grain allergies (he is allergic to a lot of other thanks ants oak trees etc... But when his diet is gluten/grain free all the other allergies do not affect him. With out tr correct diet his ears get extremely infected and painful. The skin all over his body turns black and itches a lot so it's really important to feed him right) I am located in south Carolina. Once again I so so DEEPLY appreciate everything said in this thread. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
What part of South Carolina are you in? I wish you would have posted up here before you rehomed him.I may have been able to do a temp foster until you get on your feet. It sounds like he is in good hands though.

I am beyond touched at all the comments and speed of reply! You have helped ease my mind a lot about his transition process. I have shared the pertinent info with his new owner. He has gluten/grain allergies (he is allergic to a lot of other thanks ants oak trees etc... But when his diet is gluten/grain free all the other allergies do not affect him. With out tr correct diet his ears get extremely infected and painful. The skin all over his body turns black and itches a lot so it's really important to feed him right) I am located in south Carolina. Once again I so so DEEPLY appreciate everything said in this thread. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
What part of South Carolina are you in? I wish you would have posted up here before you rehomed him.I may have been able to do a temp foster until you get on your feet. It sounds like he is in good hands though.
This......this is an amazing offer:) Maybe the people that have him will let him go back to his owner??? They obviously can see that he is depressed and care enough to say something. I did this once for someone I didn't know..she just came out of an abusive relationship, moved back here, and had nowhere for her dogs to go. I kept them for almost three months until she got back on her feet. That was the best feeling:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts