German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw an ad for a 6 year old GS. When I went to see her, I was told she was given to this person by a breeder. The breeder didn't have no more use for her?? Thats insane. But anyhow.
This lady could not keep her, since she had to many dogs, and her male was being aggresive towards her.
I noticed when i was there, she had her tail between her legs, and her head low walking around. She is not aggresive in any way shape or form.
But she has been here two weeks, "not long", and is still shaking if we even look at her. She lays next to my recliner, and will not move. She gets up if I leave the room, and follows me.
If I go outside to get the mail, or anything, my wife says she freaks out, and tries to go through the window to get to me.
If my kids, wife...etc. call her, she will go to them "sometimes", head low, and tail between legs, and is shaking. I feel so bad for her. I try to divert her attention, and snap her out of it, but it won't work. I don't want to pet her and "approve of her panic", while she is doing it.
She has pee'd for me twice a day. I took her for two weeks outside, and she won't even poop! I have all her vet records from a month ago, and all her blood work. Clean bill of health!
I will not give up on her. I just need advise. Please!! I feel so bad for her. If there is a knock at the door, she runs for the hallway to hide. When I have had comapny twice, even a small child, she is afraid. I want to help her so badly. Can this be changed, or is 6 years old to hard to change that?

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
Tony? Where are you at? She's so terribly scared that it breaks my heart. There are a lot of people in PA (I'm assuming you are here in this state) that know many good trainers and behaviorists.

Yes! She can be changed. She needs kindest, direction and socialization but with patience it will all be worth while.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Thank you for taking her in and for looking for ways to help her!
Has she not had a BM in 2 weeks? Do you think maybe she could be eating it? Considering where she came from, is it possible for you to have a vet check her out soon? Not sure I would trust any paperwork from her prior owner/breeder.
I hope this poor girl does well-there are a lot of experienced people here that can help you with her. She deserves a chance at a good life and it is wonderful that you and your family are putting in the effort to help her :)

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Do you have a crate for her? She might like the security of being in it when you're not with her. For now I would have your wife and kids kind of ignore her and just drop treats near her when they walk by, not really calling her or trying to pet her just yet. I believe it would help to have a trainer come out and evaluate her and give you some training help that could help build confidence. Thanks so much for taking her in, she'll need some time but she'll respond to your kindness

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tony? Where are you at? She's so terribly scared that it breaks my heart. There are a lot of people in PA (I'm assuming you are here in this state) that know many good trainers and behaviorists.

Yes! She can be changed. She needs kindest, direction and socialization but with patience it will all be worth while.
I still have to fill out my profile. I am in Murrysville. I am very pateint. I just feel so bad for her.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for taking her in and for looking for ways to help her!
Has she not had a BM in 2 weeks? Do you think maybe she could be eating it? Considering where she came from, is it possible for you to have a vet check her out soon? Not sure I would trust any paperwork from her prior owner/breeder.
I hope this poor girl does well-there are a lot of experienced people here that can help you with her. She deserves a chance at a good life and it is wonderful that you and your family are putting in the effort to help her :)
No, I don't think she is eating it. She did it the first night she came here. And that was it! She does go PP. I am thinking on taking her to pet smart, petco, anywhere possible to get her out. I was hoping she would calm down at home. But two weeks later,, and she is still very timid.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you have a crate for her? She might like the security of being in it when you're not with her. For now I would have your wife and kids kind of ignore her and just drop treats near her when they walk by, not really calling her or trying to pet her just yet. I believe it would help to have a trainer come out and evaluate her and give you some training help that could help build confidence. Thanks so much for taking her in, she'll need some time but she'll respond to your kindness
I don't have a crate that big. She is 90 lbs. :shocked:
She will not take treats at all. I have to bring her food and water in, and put it by my recliner, she will not eat if I don't. I know I am pampering, but I need her to eat and drink. I tried to give her a treat, that smelled like bacon. Heck, I wanted to eat it, smelled good! But no way! She will not take treats or anything. i would like to get my hands on the person that caused this!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Poor girl! I know you have the vet records but have you taken her to a vet since you've had her? She must be ready to explode!! I guess time and patience will be the answer

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
I would not take her to petsmart or any commercial pet store. I think it would just be way to much for her. Why don't you start a thread named "Behaviorist in Pittsburgh Area?" I really think you need some professional help with her. It's hard to walk that fine line between pampering and building confidence.

I would stop bringing her food and water. She will not starve herself. Even if you have to walk over to the dish to show her where it is but I think bringing it to her is making it worse.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would not take her to petsmart or any commercial pet store. I think it would just be way to much for her. Why don't you start a thread named "Behaviorist in Pittsburgh Area?" I really think you need some professional help with her. It's hard to walk that fine line between pampering and building confidence.

I would stop bringing her food and water. She will not starve herself. Even if you have to walk over to the dish to show her where it is but I think bringing it to her is making it worse.
I wished I could affford a pro right now. But thats not in my budget. I am sure I will get her right, I think I just need some tips, and emotional help..:)

I just brought her dishes to her two days ago. She did starve herself for almost two weeks. Although my wife did yell at me for doing that. But she did eat. I guess it will take work. Which is fine. Just any helpful hints will be great!

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
Start looking for books for scared dogs. Even if you could afford a trainer/behaviorist every few weeks would be good. You don't need to go to weekly lessons. You get an evaluation, find the biggest thing to work on and work on it. When you are comfortable with that, then go back for the next session.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Start looking for books for scared dogs. Even if you could afford a trainer/behaviorist every few weeks would be good. You don't need to go to weekly lessons. You get an evaluation, find the biggest thing to work on and work on it. When you are comfortable with that, then go back for the next session.
I can check barnes and noble. And see what I can find. I also google it, and see what I come up with.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
Look on dogwise.com but before you do, let's get some recommendations for scared and abused dogs. No sense in wasting money on books that aren't the right ones. And you can find books much cheaper than Barnes and Nobles. :)

I believe these might be a good start for you.
The other end of the leash
Scaredy Dog

·
Registered
9,602 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the tips, and direction to help! I truly appreciate it.
I can't beleve I posted on this forum and took her out about an hour ago. And she finally took a poop! Thank gawd!
I started running around the yard, and she did chase me, and was having fun, and then "stopped"!!
I guess it will take time. Of course I see my neighbor was looking out the window. ugh!! I guess it looked strange. Here's my girl!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
She's beautiful!! And very lucky to have you in her corner. Sounds like she's making some progress already and I'm sure she'll blossom with your love and care

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
She's beautiful!! And very lucky to have you in her corner. Sounds like she's making some progress already and I'm sure she'll blossom with your love and care
Thank you very much, she must have seen me searching the net for help. :D
I guess it all takes time, when they were abused. Don't know what the odds were of her finally using the restroom an hour after I posted here. And running around for a few minutes. Found that odd.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts