German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my 8 year old almost 9 year old male gsd has perianal fistuals for at least 3 years now. he had to have suitures twice to repair bleeding. In the past month he has started to stumble around and his legs seem to be getting progressively weeker in the past week. My vet said it is nerve damage because of the way he curls his toes and put him on a human pill not nurton(sp) but similiar. Over the past 24 hours he has gotten much worse and I have noticed he has raw spots from draging himself. My vet said we could get a carrier and carry him around and surgery might work. But we have to travel 100 miles and it will cost serval thousand dollars. I need some advice I am afraid if I wait any long my only option will be to put him asleep. Please help!

·
Registered
71 Posts
My first GSD had perianal fistulas. The vet did laser surgery once and it helped for awhile. The dog also had degenerative myelopathy. The fistulas were aggravated by the DM because the dog had a tendency to curl his tail tight to his butt due to changes in his gait. The air could not get to the fistulas to help keep the area dry, making it a prime place for bacteria to grow. Amputating the tail was an option but the DM got him first.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts