German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone! We recently adopted a 3 1/2 month old German Shepherd mix puppy - Altai. He just turned 5 months a week ago and he has been a joy to have around. We also have an older dog (Tattie) and 3 cats (Maljvina, Kush and Wolfie). My boyfriend has a day job and I work a few nights out of the week so he spends more time with me than anyone else. (Our older dog gets to go to work with my bf every day) The only people left in a house is just Altai, me and the cats. I train him every day with simple commands adding some variety and using positive reinforcement with a clicker and snacks as a reward. He is very good with the older dog and the older cat Wolfie - I think it is because he doesn't run away when Altai runs up to him, he just stands there like a sloth. Now Kush and Maljvina on the other hand run away from him because he charges at them and tries to snap at their coats, neck and tail. Poor cats are in distress!

I want to mention that all of our animals sleep with us including the cats... Kush was my first cat and there is a special connection between him and I. He always like to hug my head and cuddle with me, so when Altai arrived at our house all cats besides Wolfie were avoiding sleeping with us. About 2 weeks ago Kush started sleeping with us again ( Maljvina still hasn't come around). Once this happened Altai now chases Kush more than ever. He is his target at all times. After nights that Kush sleeps on my head Altai acts different towards me in the morning. He doesn't listen as well and at times acts different and it takes him a couple of hours to warm up to me.

I am not sure if he gets upset that I don't allow him chase the cats or that Kush sleeps with me, or that I even hug them. His hate seems to be growing more and I am out of ideas of what to do!:crying: Another thing I want to point out is that this increases on nights that I have to go to work. I leave at 4 and get home at 1-2. During this time I feel like he gets closer to my boyfriend and doesn't want to acknowledge me in the morning, he will say hi and everything but he doesn't act the way he usually does when I don't work.

Please help! ...and I'm sorry this is a long post..:nerd:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
I know I still have to crate my one dog (2 years old) because she also loves to chase one of my cats (also the one that runs). During day hours I'm on it and use baby gates and monitoring to keep it managed. But at night, it's a crate so we can all sleep and the cats are with me.

Those are the sleeping arrangements and it is what I need it to be, not so much concerned what any of the pets think.

However, I do try to really attend dog classes and other socialization events outside the home to keep my dogs mentally and physically active (as well as helping maintain my leadership role) so when we are back home it's easier

·
Registered
150 Posts
I don't have the issue of my dog acting differently towards me after certain events, but I do have a mean cat who she loves to mess with.

When I got Lay I kept her tethered to me for the first couple of weeks so she is usually pretty good about leaving the cat alone. Now the cat is the one who instigates situations between them and when Lay starts chasing her I either lock the cat in the other room or put Lay in her kennel.

(LH ended a scuffle a little beat up, he asked for it, but still. He had a bite mark on his head and is currently missing some tail fur :| )

So just try separating the animals when they start going at it.

·
Banned
7,657 Posts
Hm OK you've already taken the most important first step in addressing the issues.,"Out think" your dog right now what your doing is not "apparently" working??? Time to do something else. :)

The "other trap" owners fall into... is "my other dog was ..." This is not your other dog ... this is "this dog" make "appropriate adjustments" in "your" approach "based" on "the dog in front of you" and you'll be fine. :)

And as "regards him being "upset" that he can't chase the cats ... that is not his call. He needs to be taught ... "to make better choices," and there are "consequences" for poor choices. There is only one rule in "Cat V Dog" relationships ... "The Dog Never Chases the Cat."

If you only want to address the "Cat" thing ... here you go, "Leerburgh and Joe Galaxy" those will work.

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/6715746-post2.html

But inasmuch as you have other "issues" also ... you can address them and solve the "Cat thing" at the same time. But ... you're going to have to do "things" differently. :)

And ... to your credit, Sit/Stay/Come respect for "Thresholds/Door Ways" all very important but most likely as you've seen?? A dog can do all those things and still "misbehave."

What your missing and to borrow a phrase are "Rules, Structure and limitations."
you get those done ... and everything else ... will fall into place. :)

The actual "process" to accomplish that... is pretty simple, an owner's "willingness" to do it ... sometimes not so much??

Step one ... the dog needs to get out of the bed. Step two Crate Train the dog, Step three "Train Place and "Do Sit on the Dog" and finally "No Free Roaming in the Home."

Indoors the dog should be in "Place" or in his "Crate" no "Free Roaming in the Home." Outside is for playing inside is for "Chilling Out." If you "Train" "Place" and are sure the dog understands the command ... then that is how you solve your "Cat" problem.

Indoors you tell the Dog "Place" and if he breaks "Place" (and again you know he understands the command) to go after the Cat, you grab the "Drag Leash" (short leash with no handle to get caught up on furniture for use indoors) tell him "NO" and/or a leash "Pop" if you chose and guide him back to "Place."

You don't really care what the "Cat" does ... the "dog" is being "corrected for breaking "Place" ... flank the dog as it were, get at the "issue" directly.

And once the cats understand, that the dog is under control ... they will be more willing to show themselves and maybe even go over to the dog?? But hey ... who knows there Cats. :)

Details and links for acomplishing these things are here:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/7837361-post12.html

And last note ... the bed thing?? There is a thread on here currently on dogs in bed with there owners but in a nutshell, any dog with "Behavioral Issues" should not be on the owner's bed. Those are "Privileges" that need to be "earned" not "right's" to be given because "he's your dog and stuff."

Good luck Welcome Aboard and ask questions. :)

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
I brought a GSD pup into a house with 2 established cats. Kept them separate until the pup was old enough with reflexes to not loose an eye to a cat for being too pushy. The way it ended up and for the next 10 years - my street cat adoptee retained bed privileges, the gun range rescue cat could lay on the bed at the foot but not near me (according to #1 cat... The dog learned to tolerate the cats and there were spitting spat warnings from top cat from time to time but the hierarchy settled and all was calm for 10 years....

The biggest thing when my dog was a pup, was having the "leave it" command instilled. When a cat spit in anger or growled, every time I would say "Leave it" that way, I was "backing up" the natural progression of whatever the hierarchy was going to work out to be.... since my pup was the last on board (regardless of size) he ended up in the middle... the one cat was always the lower but he didn't seem to mind - just accepted it.

In the end though, he ended up living 3 years longer than the other two (16 years for him) so he had plenty of top cat in his latter years.

I would work on the "leave it" command with your pup, stay vigilant and watch who's exerting dominance and who's mellow... hopefully it will work out naturally amongst themselves where they find a balance. Stay on it though so no one gets hurt while this is all being decided.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Chip18 This felt like an ambush, but very well put together. Thank you for advice. I've had a purebred GS before, Jessie, and I remember her never having any problems but I completely forgot about "their place". Again thanks for the good suggestion.

·
Banned
7,657 Posts
@Chip18 This felt like an ambush, but very well put together. Thank you for advice. I've had a purebred GS before, Jessie, and I remember her never having any problems but I completely forgot about "their place". Again thanks for the good suggestion.
Well you did get a break because either he showed his butt early or you "recognized" problems early because you've had GSD's in the past??

My guys signal's and I "assume" they were there ... escaped my notice for a full 7 months (he was seven when I got him, Foster Fail) just a big furry dog with a pointy face ... Boxer guy.

I did all the basics and beyond obedience "stuff" and no problems to be seen?? But when they became apparent, he was a full 116 lbs of OS WL GSD and he launched himself at "Gunther" American Band Dawg ... "out of the Blu??" I got stitches in those dust ups, five times it happened and then after that the H/A thing??

Lack of Rules,Structure and Discipline he was given the opportunity to assault Gunther simply because when he was in the house ... I did not know where he was??

To solve it ... it was back to basics and the bond thing ... we did not have that for awhile. I was like you will do this and I don't care what your views on it are. Most likely some variation on NILF ... I didn't care what he thought.

Oh well ... rest of that story is here:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/399905-what-would-my-dog-do.html

So in my experiance if you establish R/S/D the relationship takes care of itself. :)

And ... if you absolutely want to start from ground "Zero" with him .. in the "New Dog a Challenge" link is this:
https://stickydogblog.com/2012/10/11/i-just-got-a-rescued-dog-what-do-i-do/

And all this "stuff" looks like a lot "because" it's all in one place but it's all basic, stuff and once he understands that yes you are in charge ... everything else will be easier ... so yet again ... Welcome Aboard and ask questions. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts