German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This puppy is driving me insane!

She bites everything! wants to destroy everything. If she is not by my side she whines and crys.

I feed her three times a day and she's eating fine but i take her out to the backyard about an hour or two later and nothing! but as soon as she comes in she pees or poops.

I have been really busy and couldnt get certain things needed for her but this weekend i'm going out to get a Crate to put near my bed so she sleeps there. Toys for her to play and entertain herself with and Treats so i can train her.

I can't wait till i can start walking her outside, my house is full of pee and poop :(

I definetly am going to an obedience class ASAP because i will admit it, i'm not very good at this whole dog training, this is my first dog :eek:

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Your puppy sounds like a typical puppy! :D

I would definitely recommend a puppy obedience class as well as just being consistent with the potty training. She will catch on soon. My puppy did the same thing in the beginning but caught on quickly. I would take her out on a leash to her potty spot and then once she peed or pooped, I would praise her and then take her back inside. And there were times that she would go outside and nothing happened...but the minute she got back inside she would pee. LOL

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Also, you want to get some durable toys for her to bite on like a nylabone or kong. One more thing, make sure you get a good sized crate or before you know it, she'll out grow it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Your puppy sounds like a typical puppy! :D

I would definitely recommend a puppy obedience class as well as just being consistent with the potty training. She will catch on soon. My puppy did the same thing in the beginning but caught on quickly. I would take her out on a leash to her potty spot and then once she peed or pooped, I would praise her and then take her back inside. And there were times that she would go outside and nothing happened...but the minute she got back inside she would pee. LOL
This sounds just like my puppy ..Zorro. What you are seeing is typical puppy behavior..nothing out of the ordinary. The pup is teething so biting is normal. read this forum on how to help soothe the puppy's gums (ice cubes, frozen yogurt, etc), also read up on bite inhibition, crate training, potty training. You will see that this is typical behavior and will also give you some ideas to help train better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would not buy nylabones - I've had to do surgery to remove them from the stomach of my GSD. I would buy the white hard bones that have meat inside them - they keep them busy. You can get these at PetSmart or Dog Supplies, Dog Food, Dog Beds, Toys and Treats - Dog.com. Next, I would get a 4x4 tall exercise pen, a HUGE litter pan (you can find one a amazon.com) and feline fresh pellets (also PetSmart has their brand or if you are near a Tractor Supply, get Equine Fresh). If you put your puppy in a 4x4 pen, with a litter pan - they will use the litter pan, then you can take the puppy outside - the transition is easy. If you buy a big crate, they will go potty in the crate UNLESS you put something in the backside of the crate (like a box) to make the crate smaller. They will not potty in their sleeping space. I always litter pan my rescue puppies - this way when you are not around, they have a potty place. When they out-grow the litter pan, you can always use the bottom of a large crate. The pine pellets do not smell, they turn to saw dust when they urinate - it is amazing.

Buy strong toys as they will tear up other toys. When you can watch them, they love the soft toys they can carry in their mouth. Use words like "do you want to go outside", "do you need to go potty" constantly - this will train them to use your commands. Take them to the same door - give treats/praise afterwards. I had a 4 month old rescue completely house trained.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Should i try puppy classes or try to train her myself?

Also, thanks everyone for the advice. I really appreciate the time and effort by everyone.

·
Super Moderator
32,040 Posts
You should definitely sign her up for puppy class. How old is she?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She is 8-9 weeks.

I am having trouble finding and recognizing good puppy training classes. I am in the Tri State Area, New York City.

Using google i came across these in my area. Would you guys mind checking the site out and giving your impressions on it?

Home (seems like a 1 on 1 trainer)

ABC's of Dog Training, Dog Training made easy, educating dogs in five boroughs of New York, Queens, Astoria, Manhattan, Brooklyn, Bronx, Staten Island, Long Island

Andrea Arden Dog Training | NY Dog Training

·
Super Moderator
32,040 Posts
Socialization is important, so I wouldn't go with a private trainer this early, a group class would be better, and usually much cheaper too. Don't like #2, they use praise and correction only, not motivational training using food and toys (not the best way to train a puppy, IMO). #3 looks GREAT - I read the bios of each trainer and they all look to be experienced and knowledgeable, and all accomplished in some venue or other.

·
Registered
53 Posts
MAGGIEROSELEE Very informative. PM her shes got me pretty well prepared for my puppy on saturday...she has some great links videos articles on training

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I trained my first litter to use a litter pan. I think the brand is second nature. The pups train themselves when they are crawling and then walking. They move away from the bedding, eating area to pee and poop. Only a couple of the pups had accidents in their new homes. The outdoor pen also had a potty area, and they just used the doggie door to get outside and go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts