German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2.5 year old mixed breed that I adopted from the shelter. All they could tell me was the he is a "Shepherd Mix." I don't know if they actually know that or are just guessing based on the ears.

He gets tons of compliments when we are out and about and everyone wants to know what breed he is. I hear German Shepherd, Pitbull, Greyhound, Pharaoh Hound, and more. He is 55 lbs and very lean. He loves to run (but what dog doesn't?) and has some prey drive but not a lot. Never shown and human or dog aggression.

I would love to be able to determine what his mix is so that I know if there are any medical issues that he might be predisposed to and also what training techniques might be most effective. It would be awesome if someone could check out these pics and tell me what you think. If there are any other angles that would be helpful or anything that I can tell you about his personality that would help please let me know.

Thank you!

PS...if this is in the wrong section...sorry please move...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
I do see some GSD in him - the head, muzzle, expression, tail. Though not sure what else is in there. As you get to know him, there might be some behaviours that come out that will help you ID the other breeds.

For example, I got my mix from the shelter too, and was labeled as a German Shepherd X, probably based mainly on her black and tan coloring. But as she matured, she started to look more like a Rottweiler cross, and many of her behaviours would indicate Rottweiler instead of Shepherd.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jukebox! He was 5 months in that picture. The other pics are more recent.

MiraC...I could see that...he just seems a little small to be a mix of two large breeds.

Thanks Castlemaid...I'm just going to have to do some more research on other breeds and their tendencies because I am far from an expert...

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
It's my Ivan with bat ears. :D

The shelter told me Ivan was a lab border collie cross but I have my doubts... He is the most laid back, lazy dog....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the responses. I had thought about getting the DNA test done...but I heard they aren't accurate. I would definitely do it if I knew that it would tell me what he actually is.

Here are two more pics.

He has EXTREMELY watchful tendencies. He is always alert...in these pics we are walking around a lake and if he ever sees something on the other side that is out of place he is just zones in. That's why I'd like to know what breed he is...so I can know exactly what it is that he's trying to do. He's not much of a guard dog, but VERY much a watch dog.

Thanks again.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
He has GSD tendencies with the watching. Fiona is very alert to her environment and let's me know when something is out of place. The handyman let the shower head hanging in the tub and she barked at it. We were leaving the house and the garbage men had dropped a TV dinner box on the ground. She barked her head off until we inspected it and removed it. :crazy:

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
The torso really makes me think sighthound...also reminds me of my Weimaraner, but leaner. But you wouldn't get those markings from a GSD/weim cross.

Possibly a German Shorthaired Pointer/GSD cross? or a Greyhound/Whippet and GSD cross?

He's a cutie for sure!

·
Registered
100 Posts
First pic I automatically thought Pitt. Cover the ears and even more so. He could definitely have gotten those markings from one which I do not see other breeds he may be giving that. Border collie possibly, but he has the short coat like a Pitt, not to mention sadly, it seems like shelters are stuffed with Pitt mixes. Some prefer to call them an x mix, vs saying Pitt as they are viewed as less adoptable. Shave a gsd and you'll get this lean look, especially when they're still young and haven't filled out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts