German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a gsd who is biting and scratching and has hot spots or red rash areas with thinning hair. I have tried switching her food. 3 times actually, currently I have her on pro plan sensitive skin & stomach formula / salmon, rice and oatmeal. I have taken her to the vet. she treated her for parasites with revolution. she also gave her a antibiotic for a bacterial infection. she also scraped her skin, but could not find any mites. She put her on steroids for 3 weeks which seemed to help heal her up, but after she finished the pills she slowly started scratching again. I have heard it is really hard to determine what exactly a dog is allergic to, but would really like to have someone give me some food suggestions to try. I have read that I could try a grain free food?
We would really appreciate any suggestions.
Thank-you
Kim & Lexi

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
I would start simple.
Switch her food to a grain free, simple (or single) based meat protein source.
*Less is more in this type of situation*.
You can also try doing an allergy test through your vets office....to see what specific types of things & foods she may have an intolerance to.
Robin

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
My mother-in-law's GSD gets this with his seasonal allergies. She says that the only things that help are benadryl and Hartz Soothing Lavender shampoo.

·
Registered
627 Posts
One of the more common allergies I've seen in animals is a flea allergy. Even if your dog has been treated for fleas they can still get bit. Once the flea bites a treated dog it dies, but the allergic reaction has been triggered. This is more common in winter as mice move into the house to stay warm. The best way to defend against a flea allergy is to go into super crazy cleaning mode, vacuuming all the carpets, and possibly even steam cleaning them. Flea eggs can survive for months without hatching.

·
Registered
31,973 Posts
I would start simple.
Switch her food to a grain free, simple (or single) based meat protein source.
*Less is more in this type of situation*.
You can also try doing an allergy test through your vets office....to see what specific types of things & foods she may have an intolerance to.
Robin

^^^^ This. From what I've read, a lot of people have success with fish based foods. You may have to order some in.

The allergies could be environmental or food allergies. Personally, I would do the testing. I would think flea allergies would be pretty evident if that were the problem?

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
^^^^ This. From what I've read, a lot of people have success with fish based foods. You may have to order some in.

The allergies could be environmental or food allergies. Personally, I would do the testing. I would think flea allergies would be pretty evident if that were the problem?

AGREE!!! I finally had Havoc allergy tested when he was almost 3 as he was doing this and it got worse after we moved to OK. He has allergies and now we can control it and his environment better with a game plan that includes allergy shots and diet.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Thanks to another forum member I used Vetericyn on Callan's hot spot and it worked great. Its expensive but a great product to keep around.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Have you tried a Raw diet?

Jelpy and the mesquite mafia

1 - 11 of 11 Posts