German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, it seems my husband and I are moving to the US in a few months. Of course I would like to do something with dogs, probably eventually work as a dog trainer, but I have a few questions.
First, after reading many articles, forums etc it looks like the American dog training scene is dominated by force free trainers and they are so loud that in the eyes of the public using any kind of correction is abuse and unnecessary. I don't believe in force free methods, I think they are not as efficient as balanced training and everything is achieved much slower. Of course there is something to learn from every method, but in general I don't like force free methods. If I want to use a balanced method, is it going to be a lonely battle against the crowd, or will I find supporters? Sorry if these are stupid questions.

The other question is what would be the best way to get into the profession? I have some experience with problematic dogs and I also volunteered in a professional working dog kennel, but I still feel like I would need to work under an experienced trainer before I work on my own. Can you recommend anybody around Williston, Fl who I can work with, even as a volunteer at first?

·
Super Moderator
4,739 Posts
It isn't a stupid question at all. You can find good trainers if you look around long enough. I'd check with the sporting clubs first. They might be able to help you find trainers who are more balanced. Often they will begin with reward base and won't use compulsion until they are sure that the dog understands what is wanted. It is not fair to correct a dog for what it doesn't know.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
See if you can start out volunteering at a city dog shelter (or a rescue), helping with rehab and making dogs adoption-ready. I know a good trainer who built his business on the reputation he built working with shelter dogs -- and offering free training to people fostering dogs. Adopters were always referred to him and over time, and it built a big word-of-mouth referral network for paid clients, based on the good results he achieved through his volunteer work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts