German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a nervous wreck. My 10 month old Jaxon broke out of this crate while I was at work and tore through a trash can downstairs. There were at least 12 chicken wings in there and they are all gone. A few of his poops have been rock hard with bone peices. There is no doubt he ate them. Im just not sure if he took them whole or chewed them up. What do I do?

This dog is like Marley, he gets into everything. 6 months ago he chewed up carpet and gave himself an intestinal block that cost me $2000. His poop now has become runny and gassy. Just like it did last time. He is backed up.

I cant afford another big vet visit. I just cant. I maxxed out a credit card to save him last time and I have no other way of paying for this. Can someone please help me try and nurse him from home?

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you really do think he has a blockage, he needs to see a vet. There really isn't a way to nurse this from home.

I hope your pup is okay :(

·
Registered
624 Posts
GSD's aren't picky eaters - they will eat anything! Cubby ate all the cat food - until I put it out of reach and she opened and devoured a bag of steak tortilla stuffers!

Your GSD puppy has a healthy appetite. I don't think anything will go wrong but next time, put food you don't want him to eat out of reach! :crazy:

·
Registered
41 Posts
If they were raw it will be ok, but if they were cooked I would definately go to the vet becuase they could splinter and perforate the pups intestines which could kill the pup without treatment. Dont you have insurance, its a real lifesaver.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
If you think there's another blockage, you need to take him to the vet. Simple as that. There are plenty of resources that can help pay for a surgery if necessary as shared above.

Call your vet. Get their opinion. We cant do anything but tell you to call the vet or go to the vet.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Old German Remedy: SAUERKRAUT, SAUERKRAUT and more SAUERKRAUT!

The Sauerkraut wraps around whatever they swallowed and you wouldn't believe what dogs have pooped out with Sauerkraut, preventing a major vet bill.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I feel your pain. There is only so much most of us can pay to the vet before we have to make the call to put our companion down. In this situation, I don't think you have to make that call for 2 reasons:

1. he is passing gas. If there were zero movement in the bowel, there would not be gas passing for an extended period of time. Maybe a bit, but once the bowel is blocked off, no more gas is going to be created past that blockage.

2. If there were a total blockage, he would cease to poop too. If Jax has been passing loose stool for more than a day, he is not blocked off.

Last time (thankfully only time) Gunnar got into some food that messed up his stomach he had liquid poop for a week. I switched him to cooked rice and boiled chicken until the loose stool subsided.

Dogs can eat and pass lots of things. Sharp broken chicken bones are nasty, but IF he chewed them the pieces should be small and able to pass. If he didn't chew them the ends of the bones are rounded and again, should pass. I'd try to exercise him gently and on leash until you are confident that the bones has passed and look for signs of a perforated bowel.

If his bowel perforates you can expect serious infection setting in very quickly. He will be in too much pain to do anything, so you will know that it happened and it'll probably take emergency surgery to save him. I'd say the likelihood of that happening is very small.

FYI, my grandpa ate chicken bones his whole life. Never had a problem.

·
Registered
701 Posts
there are certain banks that will provide you with 0% interest plans for hardship, your vet may have more information on it, my vet recommended it when my pup had a blockage, thankfully never had to use it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The original $2000 vet bill wasn't for surgery. He stayed for a week and the vet was able to get him to pass it. I'm going to try and do the same

He is still active. He's now pooping almost all liquid. I mixed some white bread with some gastrointestinal soft food. He has alittle loss of appetite but he is slowly eating. He hasn't thrown up yet which is a good sign. No blood in stool yet as well.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
The original $2000 vet bill wasn't for surgery. He stayed for a week and the vet was able to get him to pass it. I'm going to try and do the same

He is still active. He's now pooping almost all liquid. I mixed some white bread with some gastrointestinal soft food. He has alittle loss of appetite but he is slowly eating. He hasn't thrown up yet which is a good sign. No blood in stool yet as well.

Your best bet is Sauerkraut :)

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Old German Remedy: SAUERKRAUT, SAUERKRAUT and more SAUERKRAUT!

The Sauerkraut wraps around whatever they swallowed and you wouldn't believe what dogs have pooped out with Sauerkraut, preventing a major vet bill.
Sauerkraut is VERY high in sodium. I wouldn't feed that to a dog.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Sauerkraut is VERY high in sodium. I wouldn't feed that to a dog.
You only feed it in emergencies. Not each and every day. The kraut wraps around the object and it passes through. Its been done for generations and has not killed a dog and saved thousands upon thousands of euros in vet costs.

If I have to chose between sodium and 2 or 3 thousand dollars in vet bills I chose the sauerkraut.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I feel your pain. There is only so much most of us can pay to the vet before we have to make the call to put our companion down. In this situation, I don't think you have to make that call for 2 reasons:

1. he is passing gas. If there were zero movement in the bowel, there would not be gas passing for an extended period of time. Maybe a bit, but once the bowel is blocked off, no more gas is going to be created past that blockage.

2. If there were a total blockage, he would cease to poop too. If Jax has been passing loose stool for more than a day, he is not blocked off.

Last time (thankfully only time) Gunnar got into some food that messed up his stomach he had liquid poop for a week. I switched him to cooked rice and boiled chicken until the loose stool subsided.

Dogs can eat and pass lots of things. Sharp broken chicken bones are nasty, but IF he chewed them the pieces should be small and able to pass. If he didn't chew them the ends of the bones are rounded and again, should pass. I'd try to exercise him gently and on leash until you are confident that the bones has passed and look for signs of a perforated bowel.

If his bowel perforates you can expect serious infection setting in very quickly. He will be in too much pain to do anything, so you will know that it happened and it'll probably take emergency surgery to save him. I'd say the likelihood of that happening is very small.

FYI, my grandpa ate chicken bones his whole life. Never had a problem.
I dont know where you're getting your information from, but diarrhea combined with vomiting and no interest in eating or inability to keep food down is one of the biggest signs of a foreign body.

I see FB come in all the time with diarrhea.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I agree with the above, Masi just spent 3 days at the vets for vomiting blood/bloody diarhea, no blockage, but she ate "something" she shouldn't have we're guessing.

No one wants an expensive vet bill, but I'd rather have that, than a dead dog.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Spoken like a true German :p

On a serious note tho how do you get them to eat it??
Doesn't it cause gas? ( lol it does In people)

Usually dogs like it so much that it doesn't take much for them to eat it.

And I'm not kidding, it is an old, old remedy that is being used for Generations and Generations in Germany.

I honestly don't know about the Sodium Level, maybe you guys in the US just use more Sodium than we do in Germany but in Germany it's being recommended as home remedy to pass through objects quickly.

If the dog doesn't like it, we mix chicken or goose under the Sauerkraut.

Also, if you are worried about the Sodium level, you can fix it yourself. It's not hard to fix Sauerkraut at all and it's used in the BARFING community back in Germany. ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts