German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I have a 5 month GSD and i'm really worried... He is super aggressive with me i'm scared he might hurt me or my family. For example when i pull him from his leash he tried to turn his face to bite me and does grrr-ing sounds, and another example when I push him put of the room he barks and grrr's... Today while taking him from his collar my hand bled because of the bite marks... Help.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
You might want to see if in your area, there is a behavioral trainer. Ask your vet, they might be able to point you in the right direction. If your dog senses that you are afraid of it, it will only get worse.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Whenever I read a post where a person has to physically grab the dog to "make" it go and do things that are part of a regular day's routine, that indicates to me that the dog has not had any training,has not bonded with the humans, and does not have an established pack hierarchy - and all this with a five month old? Not a good situation to be in!

The MOST important thing you can do right now, is to sign up for training, either in a class, or one-on-one with a trainer. Since there are a number of relationship issues going on, it would be a good idea to have a trainer or behaviourist come to your house and observe you and your family in how you normally interact with your dog.

You will also have to show this dog that he is bottom of the pack. For now, stop trying to grab him, you don't want to be bitten, and you don't want to give him any opportunities to bite you. Micro-manage him so that he has very little freedom, and very little decision making opportunities. You can leave his leash on him and let him drag it. This way when you have to take him out or need to control him you can just pick up the leash instead of needing to put it on him.

I was looking at your other posts - you live in an appartment? Was Boo dsciplined or punished for peeing in the house? Part of the problem could be that he has no trust in you. How much and what type of exercise does he get in a day?

Right now, I would regulate his days - no more free roaming. Crate, balcony, walks. Be non-nonsense and serious but gentle and insistent. Have treats on you all the time. When he does something you want, he gets treats. Even something as simple as looking to you when you call his name, or letting you pick up his leash without reacting. You'll have to stop grabbing him by the collar since now he has a behaviour pattern of reacting aggressively when you do. If you need to get him somewhere, throw treats for him to follow.

At five months old, this behaviour of his can be fixed, but first you need someone to watch you and Boo together and figure out what is really going on, because there are most probably a number of issues going on. This is not something that a few 'tips' from internet post will resolve.

Relationship issues can run deep and are difficult to figure out. But working with an experienced trainer or behaviourist should set you and Boo on the right path.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts