German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help - I'm in over my head.

On Sunday I brought home a 2 yr old neutered male long haired gs who was going to be pts due to "slight changes in his x-rays." All he has known is kennel living - his owners didn't make a pet out of him. He doesn't even know what a toy is.
He has gone through 8 months of training, I was told it was guard dog & search training. He does know the basic commands also.
He is very people friendly, we rode in the cab of my truck over 3 hours to home with his head on my lap. He won't eat unless I am sitting next to him. Sunday night, he broke a nylon collar to get loose (I had him tied in a dog yard, and he knocked open the gate) and came to my back door, barking until I let him in. Yes, he BROKE the nylon itself!
He has been socialized somewhat with other dogs, but my puppy (5 mts) Sam isn't very happy with my spending time with the new boy, and when I am with Sam, Adonis paces back & forth looking pretty unhappy. I am terrified of them getting together and having a horrible fight.
I am in over my head here. I want to do right for Adonis, so if there is someone who is capable of giving him a safe loving home, please email me.
[email protected]
Adonis was imported from Austria - his papers are being sent to me, so as soon as I get them, they will go to his new owner.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Re: Please help - I'm in over my head.

Have you tried to introduce them at all? I would at least get them close enough, through a fence or something to see how they react, you will need to watch their body language.... If that apprears to go well I would try to introduce them.. I would not want to do this alone, get someone to help, just incase it doesn't go so well

·
Registered
30 Posts

Vicki Don't give up I took in two outdoor kennel dogs and when introductions happened they were great with the other dogs. I am working with the 2 to change them to family pets and indoor dogs as well. I respect that you may think you are in to deep but keep trying this breed is amazing and only want to please there owners.
I just recently went from 2 to 4 dogs in my home.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I am more than willing to try - I just don't know if they will accept each other. I'm not sure, but they both act like they are jealous of the time I spend with the other. Is that possible with Adonis as I just picked him up on Sunday?
My son & I made 2 dog yards (16x20 each) where they have their pools & dog houses - they are about 3 feet apart. I take Adonis into his and keep him on a lead rope so he can play in his pool as I am too nervous to let him in there for good yet. He usually lays or sits right next to my chair while Sam barks and yelps and whines in his. Today when Sam was acting out, Adonis tried to climb into my lap!
I wish I knew exactly what guard training he has had - I am worried about giving him a command without knowing it, and I don't know any of his release commands.
So far he has been very lovable to me, and tries to be with my son, but the son doesn't like dogs - he is a cat person.
Any suggestions are greatly welcomed. I want what is best for Adonis.

·
Registered
30 Posts

Vicki, Kay is right get another set of strong hands and try to introduce the 2 as quickly as possible as far as commands go stick to the basics and the word NO is universal if he is trying to cuddle with you just after 4 days I think you might be amazed (I hope). I will keep watching your posting if I were in Illinois I would help you my self.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I will have a friend come out later today, and we can give it a try. Hopefully Adonis can tell that Sam is a puppy and be more tolerant of him.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts

This sounds like very normal behavior, they both would like to be with you and they think they are lap dogs. Can somebody help you to take them for a walk together, first at a safe distance and then closer.
It sounds like this dog is a gem.
Do you plan to keep them in the house or in the yard. GSDs don't do well as backyard dogs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

My house isn't big enough for them to be inside, and my husband will not allow it. Our house dog of 14 years passed away in 2002, and after that he said never again.
Sam has to be outside due to his kidney problems. When he has to go, it's right now, and I am a very sound sleeper, so it wouldn't be fair to him.
When I let Adonis in on Sunday night for the few minutes it took to set up a stall for him for the rest of the night, it was like having a bull in a china shop! He is a massive boy - my son said he looks like a small bear.

·
Registered
478 Posts

Just my opinion here, but it sounds like Adonis is making it very clear he does not want to be kept outside all the time. He wants to be inside with his pack. So probably a household that accommodate him inside would be better for him. Good luck.

Kathryn

·
Registered
12,142 Posts

Your 5 month old GSD has kidney problems?

GSD's don't do well living outside...they want to be with their pack. I also think a 5 month old can get into alot of trouble left unsupervised in a backyard

Your house is never too small for a GSD

Can you post Adonis's pictures and write up - it will help finding him a home.
Thanks!

·
Registered
208 Posts

Vicki, if it does not work out, please do not bring him to the pound or place him with the wrong people ( alot of people may want him for the wrong reasons) . I am out here in Eastern Pennsylvania, but if you can give me a couple of days notice I will come out and get him. As several people on the board here can attest to, I have driven all over the eastern half of the country to do rescues of GSD's. I have alot of experience with working GSD's .Regardless of what type of training he has had, this does not change their basic instinct for need of a pack structure, and seeking an Alpha leader. Chances are if the dog was imported, he was probably trained in German commands. You can try some of the safe basics to see if he responds such as ( and these are not spelled correctly, just spelling them phonetically for proper pronunciation sake) SEETZ for sit , OFF for down, HAIR PLOT for come ( or sometimes just the word come) , VOLG for heel , APPORT for fetch , BLAYIF for stay . Just because a dog has received protection training does not mean he is a time bomb waiting to explode when he hears a certain word. Not every GSD is cut out for this type of work, in fact most are not, and dogs that are trained ( at least by a reputable trainer) are some of the most stable , even tempered dogs you will come across. If you think about it, they have to be, alot of police departments use their K-9's as public relations tools, and they certainly could not afford the risk of having an unstable or bad tempered dog out on the streets or meeting children in schools .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Thanks everybody for responding. Let me try to clear some things up. First Sam was born with smaller than normal kidneys. I've had him to the vet, and while all his bloodwork looks good, the fact is that he has to urinate alot more often than normal.
He sometimes goes without warning - it isn't feasable to have him inside.
I've had him since the beginning of June, outside, and he hasn't suffered any ill effects from it. We live on a farm, and he has a 16x 20 foot square yard that we made for him, with his own pool and doghouse & toys. He is safe in a shady area. I spend as much time with him out of his yard as possible.
As for Adonis - he actually doesn't like to be in the house. He was whining at the door Sunday night until I was able to make him a temp area in a stall. I think he was upset because it was a new situation for him. Now he appears to be doing fine out in his yard.
Plain and simple - my husband will not have a dog in the house. Ever.
I would never even think of sending any animal to a pound. That is not an option!
Adonis has a yard we made him exactly like Sams, with his own pool, house, and a coffee mug of mine that he likes to carry around.
When I spend time with him, it is like he is joined at my hip. I did find out that he was not taught any commands in German. Only English. I am hoping to get to talk with the trainer soon so I can get first hand knowledge of what he was taught. Eight months seems like a long time to be in training. He was imported as a little guy and sent to training after he was recieved by his former owners.
I wasn't able to introduce the boys today - we has a heck of a storm come through here, then I had to go help a friend put up hay, but I am planning to give it a try tomorrow.
Thank you all of your imput.

·
Registered
30 Posts

Hi Vicki, I am sorry to hear that the dogs are not allowed into the house except to visit etc. they by far do better when they are close to there owners. Please remember and I have experienced this as well, No one on here knows your situation or you so even though it sounds as if people are not happy with your set up you are still doing wonderful things to help the lives of your dogs. Hope you find success in your introductions today. Adonis sounds great I am sure with your continued love and working with him he will be a great addition to your family. Does the husband enjoy the dogs outside maybe he will give as he spends more time with them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

He is an OTR trucker, so he is gone alot. He spends some time with Sam when he is home, but he didn't get to meet Adonis yet. He will this weekend.
It isn't a matter of him giving - this house is too small to have a large dog in it, let alone two.
The people who had Adonis before had him in a kennel at their barn because he barked too much. Not a lot of interaction there. He is used to being outside, alone. Here yes, he is outside, not in a small kennel, but in a nice grassy large yard. He gets a lot of attention, we spend time together out of his yard, and then he gets to go back into his place.
I'm really sorry to upset anyone who doesn't like this, but the alternative was he would have been pts. Today - 8/1.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts

I appreciate that having a dog indoors is not part of your husband's culture, but the fact that your dog is "used to being alone" is unnatural. Dogs are pack animals, they make their people their pack.

I hope you will find an appropriate placement for Adonis with people who are able to incorporate him completely into their lives.

·
Registered
478 Posts

I'm always saying my kids are getting too big and causing us to outgrow our house, but I don't suppose I'll be setting their bedroom furniture up outside anytime soon! Seriously..the only way your large dog couldn't "fit" in your house is if he can't fit through the front door or stand up and turn around once he is inside. Good grief. And I have never ever met a dog who doesn't "like" being inside..and I have had hundreds in my homes over the years.

Kathryn

·
Registered
9,348 Posts

The OP as well as her hubby, BOTH prefer these dogs to be outdoors. Are the dogs being fostered there until someone can take them, or the recently adopted dog?

To the OP-- thank you for saving this dog's life! Hopefully, the adopter that is found will bring the dog to live indoors within the family unit. I hope you find someone soon, for your own sake as well as the dog's. Sorry the whole issue is causing you stress.

By the way, I have always lived in a 1-bedroom apartment with my GSD. It takes WAY more involvement than most wish to give-- tons and tons of walking, 4 - 6 times per day, appointments at an off-lead area for 2 hours of free running per day, doggy classes, socialization, etc etc.. but he does get to snuggle beside me watching telly, and lay beside my bed at night, feeling a part of our family. For those who are newbies to GSDs here reading, that's why I bring this up--a large dog inside a small home can be done.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts

No - I think only one is a foster, the other is the resident dog.

One thing you might consider, Vicki - IF you husband could be convinced to bring the dog in - is to teach him to ring a bell when he needs to go potty. This is easily taught and would avoid accidents indoors.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts

And doggy doors-I don't believe in them because
A. I control access in and out
B. I am paranoid about a dog being outside unsupervised
but know a lot of people who use them.

Vicky-we just want to put information out on these threads for anyone who is lurking/reading, so that they can learn that GSDs are really pack dogs who love to be with their people, and that there are often ways to work things to have this happen.

I read some past posts on your kidney puppy-that is a sad thing-puppy mills really do a number on dogs.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts

C: any door big enough for an adult GSD will also allow a teenage burgler in your house.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts